Kickstarter for Critical Role animated special!

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Re: Kickstarter for Critical Role animated special!

Post by Pizzabagel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:51 pm

MrMorden wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:46 pm
Pizzabagel wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 pm
I would love to steal the whole Kraghammer arc. I wonder sometimes whether certain events are planned or just serendipity. Like when the group encountered Clarota and managed to make an alliance. My players would have just slaughtered him, but Matt turned him into an amazing and memorable NPC.
They have said repeatedly there are no scripted events or rolls on the show, and it really is just a D&D game as filmed. Anybody who's played D&D long enough knows that a variety or bizarre and serendipitous events occur in many game sessions.
Thanks! Knowing it is organic makes it even more impressive and enjoyable!

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Pizzabagel wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 pm
I would love to steal the whole Kraghammer arc. I wonder sometimes whether certain events are planned or just serendipity. Like when the group encountered Clarota and managed to make an alliance. My players would have just slaughtered him, but Matt turned him into an amazing and memorable NPC.
They have said repeatedly there are no scripted events or rolls on the show, and it really is just a D&D game as filmed. Anybody who's played D&D long enough knows that a variety or bizarre and serendipitous events occur in many game sessions.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:44 pm

thebigteacher wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:41 pm
I routinely steal ideas from their show.
I can't, my wife is one of my players and she watches with me. :(

I have gotten some good general potting ideas from the show though. :)

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:01 am

The challenge for stuff like that is to have players that are willing to think outside of the box and try stuff that might seem silly or outrageous. Also getting players to not acknowledge info they have but that their characters might not know. Hard to do when you play with folks who have been FRP gaming for 40 years.

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 pm

thebigteacher
Orc
Orc

Post by thebigteacher » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:41 pm

I routinely steal ideas from their show.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:17 pm

The Slayers take arc was a fun period for the players and Vox Machina. The group split in two, giving half the players a few weeks off,and that allowed Matt to have 2 guests play in each half group for a couple of weeks. Let us see how the dynamics of a party can change with a reshuffle of players. Mary, Wil F, Felicia and Will Wheaton were all good mixes for the player dynamics, and some even show up later. Those episodes also let Matt create some rather specific Monster hunting tasks for some pretty esoteric Monsters that you might be hard pressed to normally go chasing after.
Last edited by zenako on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:00 pm

I’m working my way through past episodes. I keep thinking “man, that’s a great idea for an encounter/plot hook, I wish I thought of that.” Also the character personalities and interactions between players and between with NPCs are hilarious.

I just watched a two part episode with Felicia Day as a guest PC and she acted out this amazing character of a bookworm/nerdy wizard who has been assigned to her first field mission, suddenly in charge and overwhelmed. It is absolutely hysterical....

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:37 am

Wow the are over $7 million :shock:

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:36 pm

I am so excited for their success. Really nice folks on the CR team!