Grumpy Gnome’s projects...updated 24/07/21

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Grumpy Gnome’s projects...updated 18/06/21

Post by zenako » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:23 am

Excellent, all those optional balconies and openings can alter the look and feel of a DF building a lot. The full-size gables can also help break up the monotony of the roof tiles.

You can also experiment with alternate Tudor paint schemes beyond the classic tints. This was one attempt I made last year I think

Alt Paint with Outdoor lighting 1.jpg
Alt Paint with Outdoor lighting 1.jpg (86.63 KiB) Viewed 362 times

and here is a small house with an extra gable on it to give it another look (as well as a bunch of alt Painted sewer tiles to make the CBS fit with DH.

Sewer Tiles as DH 1 inch borders.jpg
Sewer Tiles as DH 1 inch borders.jpg (115.25 KiB) Viewed 362 times

and looking at the bigger build.

Towers on a Hill 03.jpg
Towers on a Hill 03.jpg (107.87 KiB) Viewed 362 times

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:15 am

I quite like that gable on the cottage, I would have thought it would be overpowering but it works.

And I definitely prefer crenellations to battlements on the small round towers.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

period3
Ogre
Ogre

Post by period3 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:00 pm

Grumpy Gnome wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:15 am I quite like that gable on the cottage, I would have thought it would be overpowering but it works.

And I definitely prefer crenellations to battlements on the small round towers.
I love that there's a choice. Crenellations and battlements make two very different looking towers, and adds to the modularity. On the small towers in particular, the battlements are a great option if only because there is hardly any space on top with crenellations. If you want to land a dragon on the tower or something, you might need battlements just to have adequate space to put the figure.

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:15 pm

Choice definitely is a plus, giving each their own.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 pm

Some good stuff GG :)

Love your painted TTW piece.

We give them a hard time about the aesthetic, but cannot deny they are beautifully detailed, its why we are prepared to dabble with a few TTW sculpts, but like Clint storage is another huge factor, especially with Untamed and extras coming for Christmas :)

A whole village/town full of their sculpts would look stunning - Pictures when your there z please :)

Love the mix of terrain in your battle report Grumpy, Erithor, Dreadhollow and HH look good on the same table.
Grumpy Gnome wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:44 am I wanted to love Doomsday. Great cast and promising premise but it just did not quite deliver for me. Perhaps I expected too much.
Agreed and goes in the Dumb Fun category, just great to see an apocalypse style movie set in the UK rather than the US or Australia.
Clint_Lundgren wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:19 pm Aliens, it kind of goes without saying, is on of the greatest action films ever made. I was actually a bit insulted when Army of the Dead threw out an obvious reference to it, as if they are in the same league.

Dog Soldiers is fantastic - if Doomsday is similar then I will have to check it out. Incidentally, I think Dog Soldiers is by the same team who did The Descent. That is one of the best horror films ever made; I highly recommend it, but only if horror is really your thing, because it is full on.

The Resident Evil films sit firmly in my dumb fun category. My wife thinks they are eye-rollingly stupid, so I have to watch them by myself.
Agreed on nearly all fronts (not seen Army of the Dead yet), wife was perfectly happy we watched all the RE movies while she was away.

Also for dumb fun checkout:

Iron Sky - MoonNazis
Kung Fury - Valkyries and Dionsaurs
Iron Sky 2 the coming race -Jobists
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Grumpy Gnome’s projects...updated 21/06/21

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:32 pm

Rabbit Burner, what did you think of The Last Train (UK based Post-Apoc tv Series). I liked the premise but again a bit of a missed opportunity, it failed to meet my hopes for it.

Mrs. GG and I enjoyed Iron Sky, I liked Kung Fury but Mrs. GG did not. We hope to see Iron Sky 2 soon.

I finished my last 2 Toyvian trees… and some zombie tv show comments on my latest blog post…

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/0 ... ian-trees/

And this older blog post talks about how I take them from factory fresh to battlefield ready…

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/0 ... ough-week/
Last edited by Grumpy Gnome on Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

Clint_Lundgren
Orc
Orc

Post by Clint_Lundgren » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:37 am

I got a few of those Toyvian trees after you recommended them, but haven't got around to repainting them yet. I like what you did with them but I think I am going to go all the way and prime them black, then do an entire repaint to see what happens. One thing I really dislike is how the branches are all arrayed on a flat plane; I might heat up some water and see if I can add a bit more dimension. They only cost me $13 or something so I may as well play around to see what I can get.

I *love* the look of that mat, by the way!

I've always been a zombie fan, but have gotten burned out on them, I suppose. I've mixed feelings on The Walking Dead and spin-offs. I bought every issue of the comic and am a huge fan of it, so I found that I was often comparing them, and the show inevitably felt second rate by comparison. Even though it had its moments, I finally gave up around season 6 or something, partway through the Negan storyline. [SPOILER] Whenever it was that Carl got bit.

Also, my Russian terrain just arrived from the seller that you recommended off EBay. It's extremely nicely sculpted and good quality casting. I'll post some photos when I get it painted.

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:45 am

I am glad my recommendations have worked for you.

Having not read the comics has helped me enjoy the tv shows I think.

I can not recommend the Deep-Cut Studio mats highly enough. They are great.

Heating the trees up in hot (almost boiling) water for 10 seconds allows you to reposition the limbs of the trees, just hold them in place and run cold water over them to quickly fix them in the new pose. I was able to break up the flatness of the small and large trees by doing this but it did not work as well on the medium trees.

I primed the trees in Vallejo brush on green primer as I was working mostly in spray paint unfriendly weather. Do the pictures I took not adequately show the paint work I did on the leaves? EDIT: I added a close up of the branches/leaves to show the paint work I did.
Last edited by Grumpy Gnome on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:57 am

Grumpy Gnome wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:32 pm Rabbit Burner, what did you think of The Last Train (UK based Post-Apoc tv Series). I liked the premise but again a bit of a missed opportunity, it failed to meet my hopes for it.

Mrs. GG and I enjoyed Iron Sky, I liked Kung Fury but Mrs. GG did not. We hope to see Iron Sky 2 soon.

I finished my last 2 Toyvian trees… and some zombie tv show comments on my latest blog post…

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/0 ... ian-trees/

And this older blog post talks about how I take them from factory fresh to battlefield ready…

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/0 ... ough-week/
Last Train had its moments but like you we think it missed the mark. Liked the premise though.

Kung Fury is an 80s retro throwback and very silly, we backed it on KS and loved it :)
We watched it with a friend with the kids, totally forgetting just how much swearing there was!
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Grumpy Gnome’s projects...updated 23/06/21

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:13 pm

I finally finished my personal touches on the first lot of the Gabrigames Workshop pieces we bought and I wrote up a bit of review with those as well as the second lot we bought… which are still unpainted unfortunately.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2021/0 ... pa-review/
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

Return to “Gaming Talk”