KS7 Wildlands ?

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS7 Wildlands ?

Post by lostpict » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:07 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:00 pm
So we would be verrry interested in any Sci-Fi theme.

But one thing we want to say *Possible rant alert!!!!!!

During KS5 we got a little frustrated with a lot of KS1 owners demanding that they got new sculpts that just supplemented KS1. It was like they wanted KS1.5 instead of KS5.

Should have had more faith in DF in that they did KS5 and made it very compatible with KS1. Satisfying almost all backers.

Was much more relaxed leading into KS6 as now we realised that when DF do a KS it is from the basic building blocks up (bread and butter), meaning you do not need to own any previous dwarvenite to use that offered in the KS.

And DF have made everything pretty accessible to those that just want supplemental pieces to their existing Dwarvenite.

The point we must make here is that we did not own any KS1 or 2 so were really not interested in a KS that just supplemented them.

However as we now move toward some City or even Castle elements to be included in KS7, we have a shed load of those, we still have the firm belief that any City of Castle sculpts should be stand alone and not just KS3 and 4 supplemental sculpts (even if that's what our wallet would like). The same should apply to any Forest sculpts, they should be stand alone and not just supplement DreadHollow. DF kickstarters are fantastic jumping on points for new customers.

Pretty confident DF will do this as it has been their MO so far :)

Which leads us to speculate how are they going to do Wildlands, the encounter system used in the last two KSs had a lot of compatibility between each encounter (with a few notable exceptions - Burrows and Dreadhollow).

We can see KS8 offering standalone Towers, Fortified manor houses with outbuildings and gardens, Orchards and Groves, dirt roads and/or paths all compatible with Cities, Castles, Mountains and Dreadhollow.

Could the notable exception be Sci-Fi ? not often do you see a Fantasy and Sci-Fi mixed together in the same world, but it has been done :)
I would be happy to see scfi V2 - especially some gritty spaceship bits. No need for it to match the original DF scifi.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:11 pm

Thundarr the Barbarian!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:00 pm

So we would be verrry interested in any Sci-Fi theme.

But one thing we want to say *Possible rant alert!!!!!!

During KS5 we got a little frustrated with a lot of KS1 owners demanding that they got new sculpts that just supplemented KS1. It was like they wanted KS1.5 instead of KS5.

Should have had more faith in DF in that they did KS5 and made it very compatible with KS1. Satisfying almost all backers.

Was much more relaxed leading into KS6 as now we realised that when DF do a KS it is from the basic building blocks up (bread and butter), meaning you do not need to own any previous dwarvenite to use that offered in the KS.

And DF have made everything pretty accessible to those that just want supplemental pieces to their existing Dwarvenite.

The point we must make here is that we did not own any KS1 or 2 so were really not interested in a KS that just supplemented them.

However as we now move toward some City or even Castle elements to be included in KS7, we have a shed load of those, we still have the firm belief that any City of Castle sculpts should be stand alone and not just KS3 and 4 supplemental sculpts (even if that's what our wallet would like). The same should apply to any Forest sculpts, they should be stand alone and not just supplement DreadHollow. DF kickstarters are fantastic jumping on points for new customers.

Pretty confident DF will do this as it has been their MO so far :)

Which leads us to speculate how are they going to do Wildlands, the encounter system used in the last two KSs had a lot of compatibility between each encounter (with a few notable exceptions - Burrows and Dreadhollow).

We can see KS8 offering standalone Towers, Fortified manor houses with outbuildings and gardens, Orchards and Groves, dirt roads and/or paths all compatible with Cities, Castles, Mountains and Dreadhollow.

Could the notable exception be Sci-Fi ? not often do you see a Fantasy and Sci-Fi mixed together in the same world, but it has been done :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:52 am

kitenerd wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:09 am
Just one word:

Starfinder
ad a few others: 40K, Space Hulk, Star Wars Legion, etc.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:09 am

Just one word:

Starfinder
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:09 pm

Dwarvenite is a huge upfront cost due to the molds; unless they are sure they are going to make their money back, they don't really test many waters I feel.

What you are suggesting is to do a small batch of modern/futuristic parts to see how they sell. While great in a typical resin business model, with the steel molds it's actually the opposite. You need large amounts of volume to make your money back. I really feel if they want to try this market, they need to do an all-in kickstarter with basic elements (like KS1) that are repeatable so they get a large amount of volume per piece. If it doesn't sell well, at least the number of molds are minimal, and those that wanted the set can get a basic set with lots of walls/floors/corners/etc at a decent price.

I do agree however in making some products that are universal or slightly more modern in setting (but still usable by their core demographic) and reading between the lines to see if non-fantasy gamers are buying the products.
102 Resin and 210 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:24 am

I am not sure i would be interested in anything non-fantasy that I could not use for fantasy. I just do not play that stuff. Now dual use pieces are great of course.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kenshidark
Kobold
Kobold

Post by kenshidark » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:43 pm

While most of us here are purely in it for the high fantasy settings, I would personally like to see at least one sci-fi set add-on (or even maybe a more modern day set) for each new Kickstarter, just so there is some progress moving from purely resin to dwarvenite. I think a lot of outdoor settings can be easily compatible with modern or sci-fi sets, so themes wouldn't necessarily be broken either.

Having the additional options might also give DF the chance to gauge how popular a different settings might be which could be expanded on in the future. While each new KS is providing a new range of amazing items and I "invest" a huge amount of my income in buying KS stuff, I think I'm likely nearing the end of "I need that" items for fantasy settings.

jazzman
Orc
Orc

Post by jazzman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:51 pm

I want to see curved dungeon passage pieces. I am so stoked about the curved cavern passage pieces.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:44 pm

LordDarkhan wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:31 pm
Craaaaap...
Those shed roofs are beautiful and exactly what I wanted. I may just copy them exactly since it would open up the builds dramatically. Any chance you have (or could provide) a more detailed tutorial on what you did, since yours turned out so well? Or is it literally just a roof cut down the center?
Yep, you should note the ridge is about an 1/8"+ thick and the Gable End walls are about 5/16"+/-.
The metal plates stop before peak of ridge so that's worked nicely. Those GE walls are tough to cut through with a knife, but you don't want to loose too much material for future fit. I used an X-Acto with a new #11 blade. Be slow and sure. Good Luck. ;)

EDIT -
I forgot to mention checking every roof you have for the few with the weakest glue bond to the plastic base plate. Just grab each and tweak/twist right and left and listen for a crackle sound from the dried glue breaking it's bond. I had about 20+ to check and ended up with 5 good candidates. Then work on separating those few roofs or 1.2 roofs. There is two plastic flaps sticking up off the plastic base plate (to set easier into roof cavity) that are not glued in, just an FYI. Once the base and roof pieces are separated, then go for the cutting the roof.
Last edited by William on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )