DwF Purchases: Woodland Set $285

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Papa_Stevie
Goblin
Goblin

Re: DwF Purchases: Woodland Set $285

Post by Papa_Stevie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:51 pm

I like this idea for a thread! I see it as a good tool to help people make evaluation decisions, just like the "Sold Listing" on eBay. But unfortunately I think that it will be like-wise, if not more, limited in information. If we had a way of recording DF transactions from facebook and other forums and could consolidate them here with eBay and other website sales, then we could really get some insight into a FMV. I'm not rushing to curate that list either haha, but here's my thoughts and ramblings to add to the other good points in this thread on chasing a FMV:

The prices can be so variable that it feels hard to pin down a FMV or otherwise. With the (for the most part) in-production dwarvenite pieces that's easy, but the resin definitely gets tricky. DF is great and gives us some insight into resin production, but we don't know 100% of it. I think the old bow-tie resin will have less swinging in their prices because we sorta know that those are not going to be made again. The more recent stuff will fluctuate the most. I think that the woodlands sets and other resin restock that came last fall lowered prices by adding more, but also by showing that they are not totally out-of-print. Then with the resin water pieces, we know the original factory won't make more. So, prices on the originals go up even when DF says that they would get another factory to make them. This is because the new factory will first have to prove that they can replicate the originals precisely or offer an improved version and quality or the second wave will always be a slightly different product. And who doesn't love first editions? My vote is always to make more new and improved over revisiting old sets. I think it's a no-win because people want something that will match the original and there is a small demand for that. But why throw out years of progress and learning in manufacturing to replicate these old sets instead of one-upping them? I think the moves to expand the dwarvenite sets show what DF are thinking. But these are all just my thoughts about things that directly influence a FMV on current sets and why I think its hard to proclaim what the real value is.

But I still see demand as the biggest influence on FMV. Its what has led to inflated prices and fear-of-missing-out. FOMO accounts for the high dollar sales, but those seem like they are only a handful of the sets, where most of that set actually moves at a lower price. With the DF fan base growing fast and the industry as a whole growing, this will directly impact the collectible aspect of the older and out-of-print sets. This should push those prices higher as the secondary market demand increases further. FMV becomes tricky again as I expect this demand to lead to a long-term growth in value, but as with other non-mainstream collectibles, I would expect big swings to be common. Sounds like we need a DF finance youtube channel stat! (RIP collectors' wallets)

FMV on resin Woodlands sets? I don't think even DF has enough supply to set that market value, so I think its doomed to fluctuate. While right now $285 might feel like towards the high end, its still on the observed normal spectrum. $300+ feels too high, but one day may be the norm. The instant the $150 sets sold out from DF, I felt that they became $200 sets. $200-250 is probably a fair average now and shipping is always going to be a pain for either the buyer or seller. I'll spend hours digging through forums and months waiting for eBay coupons to save an extra 10-20%, but that time spent isn't always worth it. So, at $285? Heck, you only live once and it sounds like you'll enjoy it more than some who bought it for less.

If you've read through my Sunday ramblings, which many will disagree with, then I thank you and invite you to the fun part. I've got a sealed resin Woodlands Set that I would offer to the forum friends for much less than $285. Really, I'd love to trade one for a Monster Sewers set. I've had controversial eBay listings before for DF sets. That led to a LOT of angry messages and some funny ones. These aren't going for stupid money, so I want to share some love and maybe someone who missed out on them can make a good case for one now. Do you think $200 shipped (lower48) is fair? That's (maybe) the break-even mark with fees and paying shipping twice. So, lets start with one sealed resin Woodlands Set for a painted Monster Sewers Set/$200 DF gift card? Or you could just come throw eggs at me because I'm ruining the economy for collectors. Either way, cheers! Life is too short to proof read.

P.s. I want to buy/trade for a painted Jade Shrine of Sysuul encounter 15 set, if anyone is holding.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:26 am

MrMorden wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:12 am
Comparing price of what somerhing sold for new several years ago vs. what it costs now ($130+ difference stated) is not really valid. Inflation is a thing, as is scarcity. If you get anywhere close to a retail price from years past, the seller left money on the table.
I agree on price for something years past. But the woodlands sets where available at the store back in October 2018 so only a few months ago(as a restock). So your only looking at a 3 month gap with a $130 add on to the price. Again it comes down to what your willing to pay for it. Just as easy you can pay $100 for something then years later get it for next to nothing.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:12 am

Comparing price of what somerhing sold for new several years ago vs. what it costs now ($130+ difference stated) is not really valid. Inflation is a thing, as is scarcity. If you get anywhere close to a retail price from years past, the seller left money on the table.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:02 am

The price paid for something now, vs something in an unpredictable time in the future is hard to measure. There is a value in having possession now and the ability to use the product in the intervening period of time which could be years. The old Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush analogy comes to mind. The value of current ownership depends on the priorities of the buyer, and if getting it now, has enough value, then almost any price could be explained and justified.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:00 pm

Thank you. My comparator was current prices for Woodland sets available. I could have also bid on it and waited till the auction ends in five days. I knew I needed one more set to do the kinds of builds Woodland makes available, so it was a decision to fill a known gap. Price I paid was about what I see available now, but y'all hit the relevant points.

My Offspring are kindly nelping get the KZ reorganized. That is revealing some gaps in my collections.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:42 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:11 pm
The idea of this thread is to record recent open-market DwF buys. It might help us figure out what Fair Market Value (FMV) for a set or piece is.

I request/suggest keeping the "DwF Purchases:" subject line but adding the name of your buy and the purchase price.

Opening Entry: I just got a Woodland set off Ebay for $285.

Did I get the shaft or do OK? I did check around.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt

The Woodland set sold at DF for $149.00 making the one you bought $136 more. Did you get the shaft? That would be up to you and how much you wanted a set of it. To me that is a heavy increase in price. If I knew for a fact that DF was not going to make them again then I would say you did fine. But I have the feeling that DF may do another run on them, if that is the case then you could have almost bought two sets for that price. It all comes down to how much you wanted them and if you wanted to risk not every getting one again. If your fine with what you payed for it then you did not get the shaft.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:36 pm

This is all dependent on discipline and patience...

I picked up a woodlands in Oct for about $100 less than that...

I simply WON'T pay that much, so i miss a lot... I still don't have the set i want most - DoE expansion - but one day it will happen - largely i don't have space to store anymore so it is easy to be VERY disciplined

If my game room was set up and i knew i needed the set for something i was GM'ing in a month or two... then i would be a lot looser with the purse strings

sometimes i get lucky and get something that falls through the cracks - i am always waiting with open arms ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

DwF Purchases: Woodland Set $285

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:11 pm

The idea of this thread is to record recent open-market DwF buys. It might help us figure out what Fair Market Value (FMV) for a set or piece is.

I request/suggest keeping the "DwF Purchases:" subject line but adding the name of your buy and the purchase price.

Opening Entry: I just got a Woodland set off Ebay for $285.

Did I get the shaft or do OK? I did check around.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Return to “Gaming Talk”