Fog Monster 2

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Fog Monster 2

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu May 30, 2019 4:42 am

So just filled out the PM for this and ordered the two volcanos thinking these might very nicely complement Hellscape, and if your taking pictures thes will look amazing puffing away in the background.

Just realised did not go for a clear volcano for ice painting - oh well more for Hellscape :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:17 am

Thanks for the Heads up HS :) - somehow missed that update - added each volcano.

Good call on the ice theme, have to think hard about adding an unpainted one.
Un decided on the travellers gate too

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:05 pm

Huge update on this project!

Here are the highlights:
  • Traveler's Gates Unlocked
  • Black Horn Volcano Unlocked
  • Fangtooth Maw Unlocked
This should be a pretty big turning point for this project, I'd think!

I just added on for 3 of the lava maws. I'm thinking one of those with blue LED's in it, painted to match an ice scene, would be pretty slick.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Wish I had another video, but here's when I was using a FM with the lever chamber . (While all the doors are closed.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MTaSu8MyNNSL6q6e9
When I tried opening a few of the doors to have it flow down the hall to the arcane alcove it didn't make it out of the level chamber room.

Now i was a big fan of this one:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eRtYWtqwagc1F3k19
but wow there was basically a constant stream of water leaving that build.

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:37 pm

I'm also a little disappointed in this campaign. I was really looking forward to it, but it feels like it has been fairly bungled throughout. For instance, they didn't blast their mailing list until days after it had launched, so I'm sure they lost a lot of the very valuable startup momentum there. Their main video doesn't really show the creators or their products in action, just stills (mostly of things you can't actually get because they aren't unlocked). I also thought the stretch goal graphics were very misleading. Take for instance the traveler's gate - my read on it was that the gate was unlocked, and a stretch goal was to unlock the alternate "rock wall" build, but in fact they are both locked.

Add to that all the changes in size, power source, etc during the campaign, and the fact that most of the things people are interested in are locked (so why bid for them until they're available?) and I think it's pretty clear why it stalled so low.

Now, I'm still in for 4 pods & some traveler's gates at the moment, and I'm rooting for them, but I do feel like they made their own bed on this one.

Also very bummed that it looks like we won't even get a peak at the steaming geyser tile!

Oh - some news though! They DID send out a survey about what changes people would like to see to the Fog Monster in their upcoming Fog Monster II campaign. So that may be in the works this year as well.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:54 pm

nielsene wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:24 pm

I love the idea of fog, but the FM has a bit too much condensation for my liking -- especially when used with LED DF pieces and a drop/vault table. FM's coverage was a little weak for me. I did buy a second one to try to address that, but haven't played with it yet. A single FM didn't really give a satisfying depth/linger of fog on a 1 square foot build.
We have happily used FM with DF LEDs, you just need to leave them out to dry for a bit ;)

We filled the Lava river in the Lava Bridge encounter (12 x 24") with fog using one FM, admittedly we upped the sides to keep the fog in but we achieved good fog coverage

Dont know if we could get it really thick, might try adding our other FM next time .......

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:24 pm

I'm definitely a little sad their KS isn't going to hit their stretch goals. Wasn't a big fan of the volcano/tornado/clouds, but definitely wanted to see the 4x4 terrain piece(s) they had planned and the sound-effects (even if the key use with lightning in clouds didn't seem as likely to be used by me.

I love the idea of fog, but the FM has a bit too much condensation for my liking -- especially when used with LED DF pieces and a drop/vault table. FM's coverage was a little weak for me. I did buy a second one to try to address that, but haven't played with it yet. A single FM didn't really give a satisfying depth/linger of fog on a 1 square foot build.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:32 am

zenmaster wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:54 am
unclebilly wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:41 am
I went in big with the first KS. I have all 3 types offered with all the extras and lots of the pipes and fittings. No small order or amount of money put into it. My order was missing a few of the fittings when shipped so I got back with them on it. Instead of sending them to me I was giving a refund of the money I payed for them and then a link to "Buy them myself" at a higher cost then what I was going to get them for in the KS. It is the little things that show me what a company is made of. With the lack of proper customer support is what will make me stop dealing with someone and I have now. I guess Dwarven Forge's customer support has spoiled me now ;)
I find it interesting that some other posters are seemingly glossing over your issue. I don't have a lot of tolerance for operations that are run this way. There would have to be some serious assurances of things before I would send money their way, and the Kickstarter model assures absolutely nothing.

I see these SoundFX circuit boards and Speaker pods they are talking about only apply to the stretch goal add-ons... which haven't been reached and maybe will not be reached... so this seemingly interesting innovation is a non-starter apparently?

Also, the batteries are separate, and will run at least 12$ each before shipping if the similar LiPo battery on their website is any guide. I know the batteries can be sourced locally, but getting the compatibility right and taking the time to find them would be an added cost hassle.

With this funded already, tough to see a reason to back this KS at this point. If everything actually works as advertised and they follow through on everything, paying a small premium to buy what I might want later from their website seems the only logical course here to avoid the risk of throwing away money.
Not glossing over, just decided the positives outweighed the negatives.

There is an argument that even though they refunded for the items they could no longer supply, if it cost more to to buy them yourself to produce the effect you wanted, it is too late to decide it is too expensive as they already have your money. So not particularly clever.

Needless to say we did not see it like that, the behaviour exhibited was for the Light pods which was down to the factory not have the correct license (for one reason or another). They could have waited up to 2 months for the factory to obtain the licence required. Instead they decided to refund backers and ship earlier, tough call to make and honestly we may have made the same call.

We have found them straightforward to deal with concerning missing/damaged items.
So we have no red flags with dealing with them for this current KS.

We also like how they are polling their backers on certain decisions :)

Funnily enough batteries have been the main source of contention with backers of which was one of the polls and it seems they have sorted that out quite elegantly from what we can gather, by virtually providing all the options from rechargeable battery to using a USB power bank. The cost of them is another issue, but we suspect that most if not all backers would be power them via USB. May not be ideal but makes them usable straight out the box with no extra charge. Admittedly the ideal solution is to buy the Rechargeable battery, but that is down to backer discretion.

It is a shame that the more innovative ideas are probably not going to happen :(
Was looking forward to the sound effects.

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:54 am

unclebilly wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:41 am
I went in big with the first KS. I have all 3 types offered with all the extras and lots of the pipes and fittings. No small order or amount of money put into it. My order was missing a few of the fittings when shipped so I got back with them on it. Instead of sending them to me I was giving a refund of the money I payed for them and then a link to "Buy them myself" at a higher cost then what I was going to get them for in the KS. It is the little things that show me what a company is made of. With the lack of proper customer support is what will make me stop dealing with someone and I have now. I guess Dwarven Forge's customer support has spoiled me now ;)
I find it interesting that some other posters are seemingly glossing over your issue. I don't have a lot of tolerance for operations that are run this way. There would have to be some serious assurances of things before I would send money their way, and the Kickstarter model assures absolutely nothing.

I see these SoundFX circuit boards and Speaker pods they are talking about only apply to the stretch goal add-ons... which haven't been reached and maybe will not be reached... so this seemingly interesting innovation is a non-starter apparently?

Also, the batteries are separate, and will run at least 12$ each before shipping if the similar LiPo battery on their website is any guide. I know the batteries can be sourced locally, but getting the compatibility right and taking the time to find them would be an added cost hassle.

With this funded already, tough to see a reason to back this KS at this point. If everything actually works as advertised and they follow through on everything, paying a small premium to buy what I might want later from their website seems the only logical course here to avoid the risk of throwing away money.
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:31 am

I'm in for four because the fog monster does work and produces steam well, but in practice it is just fiddly enough to set up that I ended up not wanting to spend the time and also being concerned that eg one of the kids would knock it over. I would gladly have traded off quantity of steam for convenience, so the steam pods have solved my exact problem.

Return to “Gaming Talk”