Fog Monster 2

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
szabbran
Orc
Orc

Re: Fog Monster 2

Post by szabbran » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:12 pm

Did anyone see the "4x4 Steaming Geyser" tile in their stretch goals? The description says:
Designed by a legendary game terrain maker to blend in with their existing modular tile terrain.
I know they use/reference DF a lot in their videos- did they partner with Stefan for this? If this geyser fits in with the KS6 pieces, I am most definitely in for it...

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:46 pm

Thanks for the Heads up h_s :)

We are in for 1 probably upping to 4 if those sweet SGs become unlocked
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:04 pm

The campaign is live!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... for-tablet

I'm backing for a single steam pod now, but if it looks like some of the higher level stretch goals will come through, I may up it to the 4-pack...

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:12 am

They're launching this coming week - they are aiming for April 2 now. Source: I asked them in Instagram :)

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:07 pm

Anyone seen an update? Thought their plan was to launch in March, but I haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:38 am

Agreed with the Rabbits, I love my 2 Fog Monsters and almost everything they're showing now looks like an improvement. Sound pods and tiny fog pods look great. Really need to see if the "ultra fine" mist/fog is less condensation prone though, since that is my one complaint with FM during prolonged use. (Especially on a table with a vault/drop playing surface.)

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:47 am

Our experience with Real FX was pretty positive - though we had our pipes changed too :(
We did end up with two of the massive Sabretooth skulls as the first arrived broken but was easily repaired but they sent a replacement as well.

Had some really good effects using them - especially when you add leds - which was something else they miscalculated.

So we wont have any hesitation about getting onboard with KS2.

Like the steam pods a lot for those smaller effects, smoking cave entrances, geysers etc.

We imagine putting one in the Dreadhollow tree stump or cave entrance being very effective.

Like the volcanoes - though not convinced about the Fire Tornado, no naked flames on our table.

So the innovation they have added which got our ears perked big time and its something we have suggested too DF, is the use of sound effects. There is massive scope for this with DF terrain, bluetooth speakers and Smart phone apps.

You too can have wind whistling through the forest, rustling of leaves then a snapped twig 'whose there ...?'.
a babbling brook
Ghostly wails through dungeon or castle corridors
Bustling city sounds
Creature sounds
Battle sounds

And for the DoD module you can have sound effects that are specifically part of the module.
DM activate sound effect 'Fireball' - now inform the party they are all dead and get a beer.

Bluetooth speakers can be hidden in large tree stumps, escarpments, cube spacers, Altars, even large monsters.

This media is a mine of cool options for the tech savvy to explore - Kudos to Real FX for exploring this and C'mon DF time to raise the innovation bar higher.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:00 am

unclebilly wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:41 am
I went in big with the first KS. I have all 3 types offered with all the extras and lots of the pipes and fittings. No small order or amount of money put into it. My order was missing a few of the fittings when shipped so I got back with them on it. Instead of sending them to me I was giving a refund of the money I payed for them and then a link to "Buy them myself" at a higher cost then what I was going to get them for in the KS. It is the little things that show me what a company is made of. With the lack of proper customer support is what will make me stop dealing with someone and I have now. I guess Dwarven Forge's customer support has spoiled me now ;)
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. Mine was somewhere between yours and the ideal (DF!). I had a large order (3-4 FMs, tons of pipe and accessories...I had another forum Trog join in on my order) and ended up having a few minor errors in the order. It took a bit more pushing ("yes, I really do want that...yes, I realize it means I have duplicates") than I would have liked, but they did replace/send all the missing and damaged items.

I think a part of the problem is that they underpriced/underestimated demand on the pipes, so replacements were costly for them to make and harder to provide. It's not an excuse, just an observation that poor planning may have been part of the culprit.

Based on the above, I'd be willing to take a chance again, knowing that I may get 80% of the ideal final result.

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:53 am

I'd rather have 4 little Steam Pods that are easy to hide and have no cables to wrangle than one big Fog Monster, but I think the Fog Monster may still has a place at my table. I think the steam pods are meant as a 'special' rather than as a replacement. I'm pretty eager to see what else they have planned for this kickstarter.

Until then, I'll just be sitting here picturing a few Steam Pods pointed out over an acid terrain tray with green LED's lighting up the mist...

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:44 am

For me, the limited area of effect is actually more of a bonus. It could be the smoking crater, the curious cave hole that begs to be examined. The larger fog monster looked better to be for making set scene pictures and having it look "foggy", and I have to admit that looked cool, but not sure how well that plays on an actual gaming table and since most encounters last for a long time, it could get old having all that moisture deposit on everything. I also would anticipate that the new one runs a bit quieter I would hope.

Return to “Gaming Talk”