Axe N Shield Terrain Risers KS

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Axe N Shield Terrain Risers KS

Post by zenako » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:18 pm

Yeah, I kept my impulses in check on this KS and only went for the EB Estate and another $100 in add-ons, so far. I was conscious of not only the cost, but storage for these pieces since the larger ones could be a issue to find a good place to store. Remember that the larger plates all have the support nodes on one side so they do not stack flat like a bundle of terrain trays do. Gonna take my time once the PM opens to sort out what we got, what else we "need" and what else might be cool to add to the mix and see where that leaves us.

NiandoBG
Goblin
Goblin

Post by NiandoBG » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Hey folks.

The KS has ended and it felt like a roller coaster drive for me.
At the end I drove through the finish with an Estate Pack and a certain sum for add-on.

Thanks you sharing your thoughts and helpful advices.
Thanks Talistran and everyone else.

Now let's get ready for KS 6.66 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

HammeredDan
Kobold
Kobold

Post by HammeredDan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:52 am

Hey folks there is 1 Early Bird Hammered Pack available snag it if you can!!!!!!

HammeredDan
Kobold
Kobold

Post by HammeredDan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:48 am

Vegomatic wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:33 pm
Talistran wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:23 pm
Vegomatic wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:34 pm
Based on how we play and the smaller setups we do, I am pledged for Estate as that gives a wide variety of sizes and configurations... the modularity of the pieces makes it so I have almost every combination of platforms except any of the 24". Might pick up a couple of sets of taller towers (6, 8 or 10") and maybe a set or two of 1.5" towers if they offer them. It comes with six adapters so I can make a few taller ones by combining shorter ones.

I really *want* one or two 24x24 inch platforms with 8 or 10 inch towers, but I don't think I would ever actually use it in a game. Even with the inflated shipping for the 24x24 the price is not much higher than it would be if I tried to make one myself... but I probably wouldn't have the nubs to put the towers on. I will decide at the PM.
I'm with you on the desire. But, I think I'll use them. I do a lot of elevated on one side of the board builds...

Castle at one end, with the adventurers at the other... slowly climbing their way up to battle.

Castle/Keep at one end of the city, market and city sprawling down below.

Rocky mountain terrain, with the cave at one end. Maybe a giant dragon cave, where I want to elevate a 12" or 24" deep section up 6, 8, 10, 12". Or a cavernous Drow city.

And then I have some plans for a beautiful cloud giant city assault... plus, every time I visit the elemental plane of air.

I have a hundred foam blocks from dice4hire and they work great, but I don't have enough and they are limited to 2"x4"x8". I have a bunch of elevation blocks with KS2 (and some with KS4)... I'm not limited with AxeNShield, especially since I can now do 1/2" height changes with the cascading/stair pack. And I can quickly elevate entire sections!

I have some cool castle layouts planned now, maybe ending up against a mountain peak. I can easily support the change for some 12x12 corner platforms to jump up 4", 8", or 12"... and just use stacked castle walls to screen it without having to worry about building the entire support inside.

At first I thought I was going to just want some 12x12's for the biggest pieces. But now I am realizing I need bigger and smaller... so I am definitely going with a Hammered Pack because A) it gives me what I need to elevate ANYTHING I want, without having to worry about planning around a specific size and B) it is a killer value. I've crunched the numbers, and the discount is huge. I could pick and choose, but at the end of the day all I'm doing is not giving myself a bunch of free parts that I will end up using a lot.
We don't play at my house so i have to haul everything to and from each game session. Our builds tend to be small and specific to an encounter... as we use the dining room table of that session's host. Wish one of us had a game room where we could set up a nice big scenario and leave it up between games.
Hey Vegomatic,

I have a table for your hosts house just let me know how many Hammered Game Table sections you need :D

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:13 pm

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I am LOVING the Sunken Pool Packs (both A & B).

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ax ... ts/2524786

They are going to be incredibly useful with KS5 and KS6 pieces, in large part because of "terrain trays".

One of the things I didn't like about terrain trays is the huge loss of height, which sometimes is nice, but at other times I want it just below the floor height, not 3/8" to 1/2" below (depending on which floor you are using). Now, I can put a pool of water, as a large city fountain or dungeon lake, that is really close to the age. Or representing lava that is building up and about to overflow onto the floor. All using the terrain trays on top of these sunken pieces, with the rest of the build layered up on the regular height floors.

And I love how he shows the lava cloth. The space on the other side of cavern and dungeon walls used to be empty space for the most part, but can now be filled with lava, water, acid pools which will really add to the environment and aesthetics. ESPECIALLY with all of the new sizes of terrain trays coming in KS6. 2x2, 6x6, 12x12, 4x8... lots of really cool uses.

And both myself (well, my NPCs) and my players use walls of force horizontally all the time... and these packs give us a great way to represent the horizontal bridges and shields.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:33 pm
Talistran wrote:
Vegomatic wrote:
Based on how we play and the smaller setups we do, I am pledged for Estate as that gives a wide variety of sizes and configurations... the modularity of the pieces makes it so I have almost every combination of platforms except any of the 24". Might pick up a couple of sets of taller towers (6, 8 or 10") and maybe a set or two of 1.5" towers if they offer them. It comes with six adapters so I can make a few taller ones by combining shorter ones.

I really *want* one or two 24x24 inch platforms with 8 or 10 inch towers, but I don't think I would ever actually use it in a game. Even with the inflated shipping for the 24x24 the price is not much higher than it would be if I tried to make one myself... but I probably wouldn't have the nubs to put the towers on. I will decide at the PM.
I'm with you on the desire. But, I think I'll use them. I do a lot of elevated on one side of the board builds...

Castle at one end, with the adventurers at the other... slowly climbing their way up to battle.

Rocky mountain terrain, with the cave at one end. Maybe a giant dragon cave, where I want to elevate a 12" or 24" deep section up 6, 8, 10, 12". Or a cavernous Drow city.

And then I have some plans for a beautiful cloud giant city assault... plus, every time I visit the elemental plane of air.

I have a hundred foam blocks from dice4hire and they work great, but I don't have enough and they are limited to 2"x4"x8". I have a bunch of elevation blocks with KS2 (and some with KS4)... I'm not limited with AxeNShield, especially since I can now do 1/2" height changes with the cascading/stair pack. And I can quickly elevate entire sections!

I have some cool castle layouts planned now, maybe ending up against a mountain peak. I can easily support the change for some 12x12 corner platforms to jump up 4", 8", or 12"... and just use stacked castle walls to screen it without having to worry about building the entire support inside.

At first I thought I was going to just want some 12x12's for the biggest pieces. But now I am realizing I need bigger and smaller... so I am definitely going with a Hammered Pack because A) it gives me what I need to elevate ANYTHING I want, without having to worry about planning around a specific size and B) it is a killer value. I've crunched the numbers, and the discount is huge. I could pick and choose, but at the end of the day all I'm doing is not giving myself a bunch of free parts that I will end up using a lot.
We don't play at my house so i have to haul everything to and from each game session. Our builds tend to be small and specific to an encounter... as we use the dining room table of that session's host. Wish one of us had a game room where we could set up a nice big scenario and leave it up between games.
Yah, that would be hard. At least with these flat risers (compared to the foam blocks), you can easily throw a bunch of 12x12 and smaller plates (probably 12x24) into a bag... the towers won't take much room either.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Talistran wrote:
Vegomatic wrote:

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Vegomatic wrote:

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:34 pm

HammeredDan
Kobold
Kobold

Post by HammeredDan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:35 pm

I just wanted to drop in and give a seriously hearty thank you to all of you guys.

We are in the last 24 hours and this KS began with some great ideas and all of you have helped to shape it into such an incredible offering of versatility, function, and value!! :) We are so close to the 65K I truly believe we can do this before 10am Monday morning. Just a quick caption of what is coming down the pipe for us.

Per Chris's update today- :ugeek:
  • Initiative Markers (to clearly keep track of which mini in the game space is up next
  • Free Stuff
  • 3D Puzzles for the Players to solve interactively
  • Double Sided Mounting (Mounting button on both sides of the platforms for layered builds)
  • Even more free stuff
  • 1-1/2 Tower - The staple of utility work in your elevation game
  • All that free stuff...and the ever desired 12" TOWER!!!!
He has requested one final big push for folks to reach out on Social media today and in any other forums you may belong to.

Thank you guys for being so supportive during the formation we truly have a KS we can be proud of and have tons of fun with!!

Return to “Gaming Talk”