Axe N Shield Terrain Risers KS

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Axe N Shield Terrain Risers KS

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed May 08, 2019 3:23 am

As a not a big RPGer was looking at this with only passing interest until old rabbit imagination kicks us in the groin and points out that how cool a Warp rife battlefield be with floating buildings, reminding us that we added the Drift stones to our CD pledge for this very reason.

Our response was if they are going to fly you will see the un modeled, un painted bases. To which Imagination replied 'bases! shmases!' no one will care because they are too busy going 'wow floating towers. look at that flying temple!'.

It also gives use the excuse to build a Dragonlance flying citadels.

Damn you Imagination! ....... watching now with greater interest.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Tue May 07, 2019 11:15 pm

I've seen the "C" shaped versions of the 1x1 or 2x2s that seem better than a center pillar for letting a flyer be directly above the ground mini. Would have liked to have seen a few of those.. Yes some people complain that the 'wall' on the C looks like a wall of force or something, but seems more functional and easier to ignore than the non-underspace friendly pillar

And yes, I agree that I have a hard time understanding the need for some of the sizes... 1x1 for small/medium fliers( not offered), 2x2 for large, 4x4 for huge/gargantuan all seem obvious. 12x12 seems obvious (but would still like larger) for layer cake work. The 6x6,8x8 10x10 all seem very niche. The 4x8s and 2x4s can be useful for floating bridges I guess. I have an early hammered, but I'll probably drop to a piecemeal soon.

~4-6 2x2s with enough adaptors and rods to reach ~12" or so should be enough for most uses (still using dice/alternate markers if need more than 60' of game height.

1-2 4x4s with that same height

6-12 12x12s with about 6" risers for each should hit most of my needs.

Pizzabagel
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Pizzabagel » Tue May 07, 2019 9:42 pm

I’m in for a basic pledge. Mostly I’m looking for a practical solution for fliers to show elevation (I.e. a character is flying at 20 feet and a dragon is swooping gown at them at 40 feet). Ideally it would be nice to do this while having the ability to have miniatures directly underneath at “ground level.” Not sure this product will accomplish this, but I would like to help support the creator’s efforts.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Tue May 07, 2019 9:14 pm

nielsene wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:43 pm
I'll agree that their initial offerings pledge structure lead a lot to be desired.

A flyer tier: 2 2x2s with a 2" post.
A double flyer tier (2x the above): that also qualified for some stretch goals (adaptor + extra post)

Gargantuam Flyer (4x4s) as above

And then 'terrain' tiers more like their bridge/estate/etc but with fewer raw 2x2s.

That type of split I think would have appealed to more of us. Not sure how it equates to their other audiences
Also, I'm not sure what to do with all the in-between sizes. I could see 2x2, 4x4, 8x8, and 12x12 (whew, even that feels like too many), but there's also 6x6 and 10x10, which don't seem like I need for DF builds...? Oh, yeah, also 4x8 and 2x4.

I'm lacking in imagination on how to use all these variations. I could see the 2x2 for flyers, or maybe a small floating rock or something. And likewise, 4x4 seems useful for a floating platform. Also, I think they are the bases for the bottom side of things, right? Beyond that, I think all I need are 12x12 to build "layer cakes" or variations thereof, right?

I love the heart behind this KS, but wish they had done a little more prep ahead of time to educate us potential customers. They already sell this in the market and probably have a good idea of how people are using this stuff, right?

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Tue May 07, 2019 8:39 pm

I would pledge more but at this point I am not sure what is what and what to do with it all haha.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Tue May 07, 2019 4:43 pm

I'll agree that their initial offerings pledge structure lead a lot to be desired.

A flyer tier: 2 2x2s with a 2" post.
A double flyer tier (2x the above): that also qualified for some stretch goals (adaptor + extra post)

Gargantuam Flyer (4x4s) as above

And then 'terrain' tiers more like their bridge/estate/etc but with fewer raw 2x2s.

That type of split I think would have appealed to more of us. Not sure how it equates to their other audiences

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Tue May 07, 2019 2:45 pm

GardenDM wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:42 am
nielsene wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:51 am
The two primary uses I see for Axe and Shield:
1) Flyers: so I'll personally need a few 2x2s and larger, with a large number of posts and adaptors for various heights

2) Layer cake builds: http://www.dwarvenforge.info/bestdfsetup/IO/CL1.jpg
One of IO's famous builds. For adventures when you need multiple levels access simultaneously. The 12x12s with ~4-6" of pillars should work. Ideally you'd want larger than 12x12, more like 12x24 I think. But this should work.
This is the primary use I want. And will be tailoring my pledge at some point to included a lot of extra 12x12s and 4" pillars, etc
Yeah, the more I think about it, the less value my Early Bird Estate pledge seems to have. I think I would be better off with an assortment of 4x4 and 12x12 plates plus enough different size risers to leverage them and plenty of adapters.

I have a feeling I'll be doing last minute shuffling. Or, I may just back out entirely - as pointed out above, the value proposition isn't well explained at this point. I may decide to wait for the cool builds to start showing up after folks get theirs and decide at that point to buy at retail...
Unfortunately, I am with you on the unsure about the value. I'm used to seeing substantial discounts at Kickstarter to justify the risk; when the topic of value was broached, basically the response was the little things add up. But the little things are pretty unimportant... so... waiting or abandoning the idea all together is tempting, no matter how excited I am at some of the prospects.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Tue May 07, 2019 11:42 am

nielsene wrote:
1) Flyers: so I'll personally need a few 2x2s and larger, with a large number of posts and adaptors for various heights

One of IO's famous builds. For adventures when you need multiple levels access simultaneously. The 12x12s with ~4-6" of pillars should work. Ideally you'd want larger than 12x12, more like 12x24 I think. But this should work.
This is the primary use I want. And will be tailoring my pledge at some point to included a lot of extra 12x12s and 4" pillars, etc
Yeah, the more I think about it, the less value my Early Bird Estate pledge seems to have. I think I would be better off with an assortment of 4x4 and 12x12 plates plus enough different size risers to leverage them and plenty of adapters.

I have a feeling I'll be doing last minute shuffling. Or, I may just back out entirely - as pointed out above, the value proposition isn't well explained at this point. I may decide to wait for the cool builds to start showing up after folks get theirs and decide at that point to buy at retail...

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Tue May 07, 2019 11:34 am

nielsene wrote:

OOooooh yeah I'm looking foward to some layer cake builds for sure.

I also plan to do some underwater scenes. With the rising star, or maybe a rowboat on a big riser to set the 'sea level', then maybe a wreck or some coral on the sea floor below... Have some undersea cave systems once I get my hands on some CD!

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Tue May 07, 2019 10:51 am

Return to “Gaming Talk”