KS: RPG Drone Maps (and a converting TV stand/table)

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Bossman
Orc
Orc

Re: KS: RPG Drone Maps (and a converting TV stand/table)

Post by Bossman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:43 pm

Our group has been using a 46" screen for quite a few years now. The players are all on Herolab (Pathfinder) and the DM runs two personal screens one for the adventure and the other for Herolab etc. Not sure what freeware he used but he projects all our battlemaps onto the screen with hidden areas blacked out and can change scales to give panoramic views. He even projects pictures, notes and other items of interest as needed. Works great. Still love 3D terrain though.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:22 pm

What they should do is have your mini as an animated sprite too, then you could animate the spells, then with the invention of the internet you could all play from your own living rooms ......... wait ....... feels familiar somehow .......

This feels very niche, the images are cool apart from the buildings and you realise that the perspective makes it a little quirky.

If you got the right set up then its like having almost infinite battlemats, great for wargaming, though like most here we like a physical element to our gaming.

What could be done is a with a 3D TV or projector something like the X-Box Kinect to have a Minority Report style interface. Has been done for presentations and the like, quite effective - similar to oculus rift, without the massive clunky headset and mobile/cell/smart phone and much easier to use with a group. Gives you that Holographic look but still no feel.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:07 am

Of course if they managed to get it to work with something like this monster

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-micro ... a-reality/

Then the size issue kind of disappears for all practical purposes. I think that they also need to consider using an even larger target than the currently listed 60" size. I know that 65" and 75" TVs are readily available and for a cost well less than a DF KS bill will be (perhaps a lot less!!).

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:33 am

I have a buddy who has a projector on the ceiling - it works great - everything is dialed in and he can simply project maps and add area effects etc - the shadows are obnoxious though - having the TV below solves that part of it at least
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:40 am

the problem is that TV screens are just not big enough, or cheap enough. I have heard of the idea before, even thinking of touch screens or screens that can recognize minis by chips in the bases, but it has not proven feasible yet. Or projectors shooting down, or even up to a special kind of glass table I suppose.

Lots of possibilities, but i still think 3D terrain on a table top is the pinnacle.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:26 am

Yeah it will be interesting to see what they come up with on the TV stand kick starter cause they’re obviously going to need a bigger place surface even if it needs supporting legs around the outside of it

You know the size of the TV doesn’t really matter because depending on how You ‘project’ images on the TV you can shift your battle mat position one way or the other if people play off the edge

I’ll be watching this one but I doubt I’ll be a backer, but if I didn’t own a used car worth of Dwarven Forge I might be interested

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:14 pm

While it is cool, it still is too small for my purposes. We often have large settings and encounters that span a much larger footprint, and we have a half dozen folks with books and paper around the play area. This would not only change the play surface but also the mode of play for all the players. I could see someone whose players are all using an app like D&DBeyond to track their characters, being more excited by this type of tech and play area.

Us old farts will stick with the old system and enjoy the tactile feel of real 3D settings and encounters.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:52 pm

I will wait for the game table that you remove the table top and it creates 3d holograms of the terrain, monsters and characters in the hollow, based on your die rolls, requests for character movement and of course DM input.

I will have fun with my 3d DF terrain and minis till then.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:40 pm

The TV as tabletop surface is a great idea that has been floating around for a while - this is an awesome next level

the possibilities are fantastic from simple things like area of effect templates to much more complicated ideas like selecting a character perspective and obscuring everything out of their line of sight (this idea really sings if it is a touch sensetive screen)

The ability to use module maps exactly as created (and the fact that savvy publishers give their PDF's layers so players do not see GM info) is very convenient

In the end, i decided to go 3D and i like my beautiful tangible worlds... and to use this merely for negative space seems like overkill.

For someone more tech savvy or budget constrained, one investment in tech like this will let you play anything forever (it could even project play mats for card games with supply and discard piles) and this KS is just one more cool idea for how to make this awesome

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

KS: RPG Drone Maps (and a converting TV stand/table)

Post by Riley » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:24 am

This is a KS for overhead drone images, to use as maps on a TV screen as a tabletop:

Drone Maps: RPG and Wargames Maps
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ap ... escription

The tail end of the video teases his next project, a flip-down TV stand that converts to a table for using such maps:

It had never occurred to me to use drone images to make an animated game map. I'm blown away by the possibilities!

Return to “Gaming Talk”