Stefan's new kickstarter

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Stefan's new kickstarter

Post by LordDust » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:36 am

I honestly know next to nothing about Satine, I think I have seen her in passing a few times at the con the last two times, but I have never interacted with her. I know she has worked in the gaming industry and been involved in some web content related to my hobbies, but I have to confess I view very little of that outside of a few folks that give painting tutorials or terrain making tutorials. I scarcely watch anything from Critical Role even. Heck, I read Penny Arcade and I haven't done more than glance at Acquisitions Inc. It isn't that I think that kind of content is worthless, I'm just not very into watching other people play much unless I know some of them personally or have some other existing attachment. I also don't usually watch other people talk about or critique my hobbies much outside of "how-to" tutorials. It isn't that I am not open to critique, but I feel that it is better as an interactive experience between people or small groups rather than as a consumed experience. Reviews are an exception to this, but I feel like they are fundamentally different to the kinds of critique I am referencing above. So the short of it is, I know she is a minor celebrity in the community and a number of people speak positively of her, but I really don't have any experience or position to base an opinion on.

Stefan is great fun to hang out with whether gaming or chatting. He tends to be generous, boisterous, and has a larger than life personality and a certain naive charm that shows itself when he is outside his wheelhouse. As Anime noted, he picks up lunch for the group that gets together at Gen Con. I never go in assuming he will, but I have had to work hard most years to get the man to let me chip in anything! I usually pony up a bit to cover drinks or the tip at least, as the guy who organizes the thing I feel like I ought to put in something. I think this last year was the first time it wasn't a standoff of epic proportions to get him to let me. I may check out the new stuff in some format later simply because he is in it. He is good people in my book and fun to observe in action whether IRL or through video.

I don't know that I would think of this KS as "pay for my vacation so I can show you videos". He already heads to many destinations outside the USA on his own dime. I would wager this money is specifically for television production grade crew and related expenses. Perhaps lower end, perhaps not, I don't know the costs or budgeting for such things. I won't criticize a soul for not wanting to chip in, but this doesn't seem like some kind of smarmy out of touch scheme to me. More like a passion project that they want some professional polish on.

NiandoBG
Orc
Orc

Post by NiandoBG » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:14 pm

Congratulations, :) :) :)

but I’m not really sure if it feels like a success.
They just hit the target.

This one was a really quiet small Kickstarter (based on updates, comments).
Maybe it’s just because of it’s novelty or because they didn’t found enough people to get excited about the project :?:

I guess 20 to 50% of the backers are people who want to do them a favor instead of being convinced about their dream/project. Maybe I’m wrong with this but maybe not :?:

Looking forward to see the basalt pieces in the forum some day ;)
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:32 pm

I'm backing this as a thank you to Stefan. It's not something I would back otherwise. I'm in for $20.

Last year at GenCon he was super nice and accommodating. He even paid for the group forum lunch we had. I got free coins from playing in his GenCon game at the DF booth. DF has also sent me replacements for damaged pieces without question, each and every time.

I owe him -at least- $20 in my book. (Sure, I've spent a lot of money on DF products, but to me this is different.)

Satine has seemed to be kind of disengaged with this campaign on the front end; she's created the sketches and the module, so I think she's been working some on the back end, but I would have liked to hear more from her. I had a bad experience with her at GenCon last year and I was hoping to have my perceptions changed during the course of the KS and she hasn't really been around to change my opinion, which I find disheartening. :( I'm sure I'll enjoy watching her in the show though.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:29 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:22 pm
It funded, good for them.
$105,841
pledged of $100,000 goal
backers
minutes to go

I use to watch travel shows and would have loved a show like this, but I have lost interest in travel shows and DF already has all my money going to them so this other DF is out of luck from me. But I am glad it funded as I hold no ill will for people who get to travel on travel shows.
I agree, no i'll will here, just no real interest on my part.
I'm glad they funded for the fun of it.
Stefan ROCKs!!!, or is that Stefan Basalts!!! now. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:22 pm

It funded, good for them.
$105,841
pledged of $100,000 goal
backers
minutes to go

I use to watch travel shows and would have loved a show like this, but I have lost interest in travel shows and DF already has all my money going to them so this other DF is out of luck from me. But I am glad it funded as I hold no ill will for people who get to travel on travel shows.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:41 am

I backed for the episodes out of curiosity and to support Stefan.

Yes, it's more than I would pay for typical streaming content, but I also want to help make crazy ideas and dreams come true.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:21 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:45 pm
The new terrain piece sketches seem interesting, but very niche...
I think William is obligated to pledge as there is a high basalt content.
Noooooo, I think I should be sent the pieces gratis for giving him the idea. ;)
Didn't back this anyway, so no badge if that does happen for Forum Backers. :?
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:40 am

As people said earlier in the thread its a very different type of KS, the rewards/tiers/pricing all seem roughly in-line when compared to a lot of the other tv/movie/album/play style thing. Things that all feel a bit more 'help me make something cool, you'll get to see it' its very different than the 'you'll get a copy of something physical' style KS. I can understand why it feels odd to people who generally only support things in the Games/Technology subsections of KS.

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:19 am

I guess many think differently than you and I as they're $4,500 from being funded with about 8 hours to go. Certainly not a typical DF terrain fund by any stretch but they may make the funding goal after all. I'm very curious to see. I'm sure my post, regardless of it's negativity will draw curiosity and maybe interest. All publicity, whether negative or positive is good so maybe I helped :?: !

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:32 am

I am not quite that negative but I have much the same thoughts. It is asking a lot of money for something that is very dubious at best. Something like this should be funded privately, not on kickstarter.

I am in for a single buck, which i know is basically nothing. Pay to view, is how i look at it. I am disappointed how little is being offered to backers. I know they need the money to run the program, but they could offer a reasonable percentage back. As it is now it is a trifling percentage back unless you think watching the video first is worth a huge amount of money. I also noticed Satine did not bother to post anything there till the last 24 hours and then it was pretty minimal. She does not seem very involved in the whole thing.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Gaming Talk”