Stefan's new kickstarter

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Arbados
Orc
Orc

Re: Stefan's new kickstarter

Post by Arbados » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:59 am

Not a fan of this at all! I feel like their asking me to support their vacation and it bothers me. Why not SHARE IT ON YOUR OWN if you're so inclined? I just got back from a cruise to Bermuda and damn it's beautiful. I have great video of the awesome beaches, cities, back roads and more! I'll share it for nothing if you want and it includes narration!

OK I'm being a bit over the top but sometimes success brings people to think that their fan base will support just about anything. Wrong with me, as I WILL NOT support this and feel a bit cheapened by the fact that Stephan even promoted this to me :cry: .

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:11 pm

Hmm it does look likely they will make initial funding which surprises me a bit as it was so low for so long. I see Satine has finally started commenting. I do hope they do fund as they both seem enthusiastic about it.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:42 pm

Less than 24 hours left on this; they are getting close but need help!
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

NiandoBG
Orc
Orc

Post by NiandoBG » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:43 pm

My two cents:

For people who don’t know him/ don’t appreciate him/his work for 3D fantasy terrain the quirkiness does not help to raise money.

What works for us as one target group does not work or others.

I would not support some unknown quirky guy who wants to raise money for something which could be nice but I don’t really need.

With a much more serious but as well passionate communication strategy I would assume it would work better.

If I would be in their situation:
I would cancel the current KS and relaunch it with another more serious strategy later in the year.
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:23 am

Talistran wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:31 pm
GardenDM wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:14 am

I am going to be interested in seeing what happens. For years, I think that Stefan (and more recently, Nate and the rest of the crew) has believed that the Fans of Dwarven Forge love their terrain in large part because of their passion and antics. The quirkiness of Stefan on film, his appearance at cons and his DM style all were part of the "appeal" of DF.

We would disagree with this (shocker! :shock: ) in that we do not believe that DF (Nate and Stefan) believe this is a large part of why people love their terrain, they do probably think it helps sell it.

Pretty sure if you said to Nate and Stefan that their antics do not help them sell Dwarvenite, they will still carryon with all their antics because it’s who they are. We agree that one thing it shows, whether you like it or loathe it, their passion for what they do. So backers know they are not just doing it for the money - though the money clearly helps 
Talistran wrote:

But I think that for many, that is not the case. For nearly everyone on this forum and many of those that participate in the Kickstarters, there is a love of the best damn terrain out there. And then we have a three-way split: Those who 1) like Stefan and Nate and the theatrics/quirkiness... 2) those who are mostly indifferent... 3) and those that Stefan/Nate and the theatrics/passion/sensitivity to their art ALMOST drive them away from the terrain altogether.

I'm in the camp that believes that the VAST majority of the purchases (Dollarwise$$) of DF/participation in the Kickstarters are in Camp #2 or #3. Therefore, they won't be backing this project because they ONLY care about the terrain or dislike the associated theatrics (which is pretty much what the entire Destination Fantastics is about).

We are in the camp that believes the VAST majority are in #1 and #2 and mostly #2

Surprisingly we are firmly in the #1 camp :)

Destination Fantastic we would like to see it happen and we have a lot of time for Stefan, but we cannot bring ourselves to be more that a low level backer for this.

As to be honest if it didn't happen, which would be a shame, we would not miss it :(

We are here for Dwarvenite and shenanigans - and the occasional rant.
Talistran wrote:

But I'll wait and see. I personally think they would have raised a LOT more money if they had produced a new set of 4x4 ice resin pieces (as they are), but made it a set of 16-20 pieces (6-8 new sculpts) and sold it for 25% over what they would have normally sold it for (so that the 25% upcharge can go towards Destination Fantastic)... people in the #2 nd #3 camp might have bought a few sets (which would raise $200-1000) each.

Replace "Ice Pieces" with something NEW and make more money. Replace "Resin" with Dwarvenite and make MORE money.

Totally agree with this ! 
Talistran wrote:

P.S. I think it was a mistake to call the show Destinations Fantastic because of the similarity to Dwarven Forge when condensed to DF.
Again agree with this too 
Talistran wrote:

**The Kickstarters have their own "flair" too, which in a longer discussion might be worth talking about... but for now I'll leave it here.**

This is a thread waiting to happen, there is so much psychology about marketing and backing and how many different POV you get from backers buying the same product - Like Talistran and ourselves.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:12 am

I could buy so much more and better DF stuff for a grand......
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:00 am

I just need to create 8 kickstarter accounts so i can get the 32piece set of the new terrain ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:51 pm

All this said above along with the fact that we still have not gotten the pledge manager for 6.66. So I think some of us are saving our money encase we want to add more stuff then, I know I am. I think that if they would have had a pledge for $100-150 offering a cool resin piece something like the RoA Entrance they would have gotten a lot more DF pledges.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:32 pm

Likewise, I'll definitely back as a show of support for Stefan. :)

ChrilleT
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ChrilleT » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:21 pm

hunter_something and GardenDM seems to have summed it up pretty good.

And even if this is a project with Stefan, Satine and a fantasy theme there are a lot of travel shows out there and there´s lots of easy accessed youtube travel content so they are in competition with much free content. I hope they will get funded and the Travel show will be successful, I might jump in on a lower pledge. As for the physical terrain rewards 500$ for 1 piece or 1000$ for 4 is just to much for me and my wallet.

Return to “Gaming Talk”