Clorehaven & the Goblin Grotto

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Clorehaven & the Goblin Grotto

Post by dice4hire » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:52 am

We need Star Trek replicators for sure.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:58 pm

period3 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:38 pm
I always wonder what's involved in a project like this. Is it just print, prime, and paint? Or is there all kinds of filing and sanding and what not involved to make it look decent? (assuming FDM)

I didn't back this because I imagine it being a LOT of work, but maybe I'm overestimating the effort.
Depends a lot on your standards.

I've got a better FDM (melted plastic laid down in layers) printer and even on the best settings, the layer lines and other "defects" that are inherent in the technology bug me a fair amount. Some models work much better of course and terrain comes out miles better than minis.

I limit myself to printing stuff that I simply can't buy in molded resin or plastic due to the high amount of effort involved and relatively low quality of 3D prints.

It is also incredibly slow, particularly if you're trying to maximize quality. I've got some of the Printable Scenery buildings and I'll never print them because they're well over 16 hours at any decent print quality (and that's with the building split into parts). I won't print overnight because I consider 3D printers to be "industrial" equipment that shouldn't be used without periodic supervision (i.e. I won't sleep or leave the house unattended with it running).

Cured resin printing can deliver much higher quality, but I won't touch the stuff due to the health hazards (fumes and liquid chemicals) and mess.

I get that it's a great option for some folks, but it has limited appeal for me for gaming terrain and none for minis (due to poor quality).

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Maybe in 30-ish years when I retire or most of my kids have moved out. Right now if I were to take painting seriously instead of just a small thing here and there I'd be an absentee parent (and divorced). ;)
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Deathound
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Deathound » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:09 pm

Oldent wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:55 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:40 pm
One of the largest selling points for me with DF is the prepainted option.

While I would consider buying a 3D printer for fiddly bits, there's no way I want to paint hundreds of pieces.

Those of you that do are WEIRD to me. :lol:
I laughed when I saw this ;) So many people choose to take offense.I don't. I think you are missing most of the fun :lol:
I agree a big part of the fun is the painting, but I have to admit it gets a bit overwhelming when you have a full dungeon to paint. My DF stuff is prepainted, everything else I have is either printed or bought not painted.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:04 pm

We weirdo's get it. ;) :P
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:55 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:

While I would consider buying a 3D printer for fiddly bits, there's no way I want to paint hundreds of pieces.

I laughed when I saw this ;) So many people choose to take offense.I don't. I think you are missing most of the fun :lol:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

RisingSeraph
Orc
Orc

Post by RisingSeraph » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:00 pm

period3 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:38 pm
I always wonder what's involved in a project like this. Is it just print, prime, and paint? Or is there all kinds of filing and sanding and what not involved to make it look decent? (assuming FDM)

I didn't back this because I imagine it being a LOT of work, but maybe I'm overestimating the effort.
For the 3D printed pieces I've bought, I've had to do a little bit of cleanup but it's not usually too bad.

Has anyone here used a 3D printing service? Do you save much providing your own STL files to a service VS buying stuff that's already printed?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:44 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:

And PROUD!!!!!!!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:40 pm

102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:38 pm

Return to “Gaming Talk”