Questions about City Builder.

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
kgallaghar
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Questions about City Builder.

Post by kgallaghar » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:59 am

Thanks for the help, folks. I think I understand now. Basically it's like a starter set for DIY work. I may need to cut one or two of the railings (I have 10) into half lengths.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:22 pm

Every movie where they slide a stone or masonry fireplace to the side or pivot it like a door is laughable to me. Ever seen one in real life? They are the single heaviest construct inside your abode and would be an amazing feat to design it to (1) not leak smoke and (2) slide with a little push.
Sorry, but I would prefer a bookcase like in the MBS line or just a pivoting wall (without a fireplace). Just my opinion on secret doors. "Why is there a fireplace in this store room?" :idea:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:31 pm

So... the obvious answer is to glue the fireplace/bookcase/other object to a door!!! ;) ;)

In all seriousness, not that I wasn't serious - glue *could* work, I too would enjoy pieces manufactured for this fuction.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:13 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:50 pm
Perhaps one could use a short wall from the stone advanced builder pack and hide the open half behind a bookcase... heck, why not just use a door wall behind a bookcase (or other large decor)?
Cause i want the cool piece ;)

Fireplace over a door is a good idea, but i still want a wall with a trick section or a bookcase that is hinged
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:50 pm

Perhaps one could use a short wall from the stone advanced builder pack and hide the open half behind a bookcase... heck, why not just use a door wall behind a bookcase (or other large decor)?

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:13 am

kitenerd wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:58 am
and while we are on the topic of City Builder... am i forgetting something or is there no secret door in City Builder?

I have been brainstorming my Thieves Guild and it always comes back to KS1 because it needs to have a secret door...

We need a secret door (or trick fireplace) as part of any City Builder expansion - why we don't already is a mystery
No secret doors in City Builder, but you can do some tricks like hiding a trapdoor beneath a fireplace...

Or, if you have an insert for the stairwells...

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:21 am

Do not recall seeing any secret doors. Back then, DF was not being as clever about those kind of things as they are now. For whatever reason the CBS was pretty straightforward and generic with features.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:58 am

and while we are on the topic of City Builder... am i forgetting something or is there no secret door in City Builder?

I have been brainstorming my Thieves Guild and it always comes back to KS1 because it needs to have a secret door...

We need a secret door (or trick fireplace) as part of any City Builder expansion - why we don't already is a mystery
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:25 pm

kgallaghar wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:19 pm
I've been adding to my city builder stuff. There are a couple of parts I'm not sure how to properly use. One is the railings. They are the width of the upper floor porch, but do you just have the railing on the outer edge, but not on the sides leading back to the main building (all the railings are the same length)? The other part is the quarter posts. I can't figure out what they're for, either. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
If I'm reading you right, they go together. The quarter posts (meaning short in height?) are posts for the railings if a standard post is not used. Look at the sixth picture down.

Hope that helps. :)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kgallaghar
Goblin
Goblin

Questions about City Builder.

Post by kgallaghar » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:19 pm

I've been adding to my city builder stuff. There are a couple of parts I'm not sure how to properly use. One is the railings. They are the width of the upper floor porch, but do you just have the railing on the outer edge, but not on the sides leading back to the main building (all the railings are the same length)? The other part is the quarter posts. I can't figure out what they're for, either. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Return to “Gaming Talk”