The future of terrain and DF

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
period3
Orc
Orc

Re: The future of terrain and DF

Post by period3 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:14 pm

I bought an Ender 5 a few months ago and it's been flawless. I was nervous about getting into 3d printing after reading about the supposed difficulty, but I've had more problems with my paper printer than this one. 1) find something i like on thingiverse 2) download and open the file 3) click slice and save to an SD card. 4) put card in the printer and choose 'print' from the menu.

Maybe there was a time when 3d printing was for advanced hobbyists, but not anymore. My printer was <$400 CAD.

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:05 pm

Unless you have a Prusa printer. I've had almost zero problems with mine. That said though, the initial investment in one is muuuuuuuch higher, so it would take a lot longer to "make back" your investment. But you definitely get what you pay for with printers (there are always exceptions and lemons, etc... of course).

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:03 pm

marcoreds wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:47 pm
I'm also one who mixes gladly sceneries and tiles from many companies.

DF ones are probably the best tiles, though some others are very close (but can't come close to DF for number different pieces and environments, and sturdiness of the material).

For overground I use many other classical wargaming aids, not much DF.

This said:

- lower quality tiles: I am happy they exist, and even increase in numbers. They are the perfect entry point to start with. As Anime and others said, at the beginning I would never fathom that I would be willing to spend so much for tiles. I bought cheaper, worse ones. Then well, just a little DF to have a taste. Then well, just some more... You all know how this goes, I now never buy uglier tiles, and just mostly go with DF. I don't think I would have taken this road if I hadn't first started with something cheaper, that I thought I was ok spending lower amounts on, and that gave me the taste of 3D playing, and that extabilished in my mind the idea of spending money for this kind of pretty much just aestethic pieces.

- 3D print: in my opinion as of today 3D printing is pretty much a hobby in itself. To have good results, you need to know the machine, calibrate it well, swear at it, experiment with it, learn how it works, swear at it, learn how to fix/repair it, take care of it, and finally swear at it and hope it all goes well. We are FAR, in my opinion VERY FAR from a mass-ready product. With mass-ready I mean that to really become popular and present in every home as an everyday use item they need to become just as easy and reliable to use as a 2D printer. That is, just push a button and the printer does it all for you. It can't be an item that you need to mess with to get good results, since the greatest majority of people do not have the dedication and interest in learning a new job to print toys. Until that time, 3D printing terrain will remain a tool for people like us, that do have DF and use 3D to get even more pieces, that DF just doesn't produce for now, or as a cheaper starting point for those who don't think they want to spend DF money on DF items (for what they currently know :D ).

Cheers!
Especially the swearing at part, Marco; especially the swearing at part.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:55 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:48 pm
Fat Dragon games seems to shamelessly copy DF. Look at any of their Dragonlock kickstarters and tell me they weren't 90% inspired by DF's recent campaigns before the Dragonlock set's release....

DF KS1 launched 3/25/13 - DUNGEONS

DF KS2 launched 3/12/14 - CAVERNS, WATER CAVERNS, ICE CAVERNS, MUSHROOMS, CHASMS

DF KS3 launched 3/8/15 - CITIES (3X3 GRID), SEWERS, CITY RUINS, ROADS, ELEVATION, LEDS

Dragonlock launched 10/6/15 - DUNGEONS, CAVERNS, TRAPS, VARIOUS DF RESIN ADVANCED DUNGEON STUFF

Printable Scenery Winterdale launched 12/8/15 - CASTLES, ELEVATION, CITIES

DF KS4 launched 3/6/16 - CASTLES, MOUNTAINS, CASTLE RUINS, SIEGE WEAPONS, BUTTRESSES, LEDS

Printable Scenery Apocalypse Ruins launched 5/25/16 - CITY RUINS, CASTLE RUINS, SHIPS

Modular Underground Project launched 9/6/16 - SEWERS, CITIES, ELEVATION

Dragonlock 2 launched 9/6/16 - CITIES (WITH DF KS3 DESIGN), ELEVATION, SEWERS, CITY RUINS, CAVERN WATER

Tilescapes Dungeons launched 10/25/16 - DUNGEONS (3X3 GRID), CAVERNS (3X3 GRID), SEWERS, LAVA/WATER CAVERNS, ICE CAVERNS, WATER DUNGEONS, MUSHROOMS, MINES, PIPEWORKS, RUNE TILES, PILLARED DUNGEON WALLS. BRIDGES, ELEVATION, DUNGEON RUINS

Printable Scenery Time Warp Rampage launched 2/16/17 - CASTLES, RUINS, SIEGE WEAPONS

DF KS5 launched 6/17/17 - PILLARED WALL DUNGEONS, BURROWS, TRAPS, RUNE TILES, BRIDGE, LEDS, CHASMS, ROUND ROOMS

Rampage Gothic Tiles launched 8/28/17 - CATHEDRAL, BUTTRESSES, SPACESHIP

Dragonlock 3 launched 9/19/17 - MOUNTAINS & ELEVATION, TRAPS, BRIDGES, CHASMS, ROUND ROOMS, MINES, TREES, STREAMS

Printable Scenery Lost Islands launched 3/10/18 - SHIPS, RAMPARTS, MOUNTAIN ELEVATION

DF KS6 launched 7/22/18 - CAVERNS (LARGER PIECES), FORESTS. MORE MUSHROOMS, WOOD BRIDGE, CRYSTALS, LEDS, CHASMS

Rampage Modular Dungeon Tiles launched 9/1/18 - DUNGEONS, LEDS, CAVERN WATER, CHASMS, TRAPS, RUINS

Printable Scenery Dwarves Elves & Demons launched 11/20/18 - CASTLES, OVERGROWN RUINS, DEMON THEME, TREBUCHET

Tilescapes Gothic City launched 1/9/19 - CITIES, STREETS, BRIDGES, CASTLES, DOCKS, TRAINS, AIRSHIPS

Printable Scenery Clorehaven and Goblin Grotto launched 7/23/19 - MODULAR CITIES, MODULAR CASTLES, CAVERNS WITH LARGER PIECES AND ELEVATION. WOOD BRIDGES, MUSHROOMS, CRYSTALS, RUINS, BURROWS (WYRM TUNNELS), HELL GATE. TREES, RUINS, BEACHES, LAVA, TRAPS

DF KS6.66 launched 6/16/19 - LAVA, DEMONIC THEME, HELLGATE, LIGHT BOXES
I’m old enough to remember when Fat Dragon Games was shamelessly copying WorldWorks Games’ paper terrain.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:18 pm

There certainly seems to be a lot of shameless copying from the .stl crowd indeed.

i know it may only seem that way as none of DFs ideas are truly original as those terrain types are natural, but the timing is certainly suspicious.

Sure the .stl people do do things DF has not done yet, so give them that. Still ......
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:48 pm

NiandoBG wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:03 pm
Did anyone noticed that the 3D Printing Community is heading for “Wildlands” as well.
I saw this pictures this week. They are not yet published but shall be soon and heared rumors that fatdragon is doing a new Kickstarter campaign with “Wildlands”.
And -THIS- is why Dwarven Forge is hesitant to release their upcoming stuff to us too early. We love beans, but really, they are the market leaders and they always have companies biting on their heels trying to catch up or take the throne, especially 3D print STL file creators. I won't even go into the amount of basic dungeon kickstarters there have been. I'll just list the big ones. Also, please note that DF does it as well. Good ideas are good ideas... Also, I'm only doing modular stuff here or really big projects. This is also ONLY Kickstarter, and only what I could find in a limited amount of time. I'm sure there's more.

Fat Dragon games seems to shamelessly copy DF. Look at any of their Dragonlock kickstarters and tell me they weren't 90% inspired by DF's recent campaigns before the Dragonlock set's release....

DF KS1 launched 3/25/13 - DUNGEONS

DF KS2 launched 3/12/14 - CAVERNS, WATER CAVERNS, ICE CAVERNS, MUSHROOMS, CHASMS

DF KS3 launched 3/8/15 - CITIES (3X3 GRID), SEWERS, CITY RUINS, ROADS, ELEVATION, LEDS

Dragonlock launched 10/6/15 - DUNGEONS, CAVERNS, TRAPS, VARIOUS DF RESIN ADVANCED DUNGEON STUFF

Printable Scenery Winterdale launched 12/8/15 - CASTLES, ELEVATION, CITIES

DF KS4 launched 3/6/16 - CASTLES, MOUNTAINS, CASTLE RUINS, SIEGE WEAPONS, BUTTRESSES, LEDS

Printable Scenery Apocalypse Ruins launched 5/25/16 - CITY RUINS, CASTLE RUINS, SHIPS

Modular Underground Project launched 9/6/16 - SEWERS, CITIES, ELEVATION

Dragonlock 2 launched 9/6/16 - CITIES (WITH DF KS3 DESIGN), ELEVATION, SEWERS, CITY RUINS, CAVERN WATER

Tilescapes Dungeons launched 10/25/16 - DUNGEONS (3X3 GRID), CAVERNS (3X3 GRID), SEWERS, LAVA/WATER CAVERNS, ICE CAVERNS, WATER DUNGEONS, MUSHROOMS, MINES, PIPEWORKS, RUNE TILES, PILLARED DUNGEON WALLS. BRIDGES, ELEVATION, DUNGEON RUINS

Printable Scenery Time Warp Rampage launched 2/16/17 - CASTLES, RUINS, SIEGE WEAPONS

DF KS5 launched 6/17/17 - PILLARED WALL DUNGEONS, BURROWS, TRAPS, RUNE TILES, BRIDGE, LEDS, CHASMS, ROUND ROOMS

Rampage Gothic Tiles launched 8/28/17 - CATHEDRAL, BUTTRESSES, SPACESHIP

Dragonlock 3 launched 9/19/17 - MOUNTAINS & ELEVATION, TRAPS, BRIDGES, CHASMS, ROUND ROOMS, MINES, TREES, STREAMS

Printable Scenery Lost Islands launched 3/10/18 - SHIPS, RAMPARTS, MOUNTAIN ELEVATION

DF KS6 launched 7/22/18 - CAVERNS (LARGER PIECES), FORESTS. MORE MUSHROOMS, WOOD BRIDGE, CRYSTALS, LEDS, CHASMS

Rampage Modular Dungeon Tiles launched 9/1/18 - DUNGEONS, LEDS, CAVERN WATER, CHASMS, TRAPS, RUINS

Printable Scenery Dwarves Elves & Demons launched 11/20/18 - CASTLES, OVERGROWN RUINS, DEMON THEME, TREBUCHET

Tilescapes Gothic City launched 1/9/19 - CITIES, STREETS, BRIDGES, CASTLES, DOCKS, TRAINS, AIRSHIPS

Printable Scenery Clorehaven and Goblin Grotto launched 7/23/19 - MODULAR CITIES, MODULAR CASTLES, CAVERNS WITH LARGER PIECES AND ELEVATION. WOOD BRIDGES, MUSHROOMS, CRYSTALS, RUINS, BURROWS (WYRM TUNNELS), HELL GATE. TREES, RUINS, BEACHES, LAVA, TRAPS

DF KS6.66 launched 6/16/19 - LAVA, DEMONIC THEME, HELLGATE, LIGHT BOXES
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:10 pm

There is another part to this whole discussion and that is the value of time. I put a reasonably high value on my time, and how I want to spend it. Playing RPG's is the priority and spending excessive amounts just creating tiles and playing with the evolving 3D printer universe just does not have space on my plate at this point. Also, I really like being able to get painted products and not have to spend hours painting tiles. I have done it on the infrequent occasion where DF only had unpainted in stock, I do like painting so that part of the hobby is not out of the question, but whenever I can be it terrain or minis, I get the prepainted options. It's a time thing for me.

While the mushroom shown above is pretty cool looking, to make the 20 he plans on doing will take a month of printing time almost. How long would it take to print Dungeon of Doom with any level of refinement? And then time to paint. It will be sometime before 3D printing at home becomes viable for affordable terrain in my opinion, at least if the end-user expects to create tiles in the same league as DF tiles are now.
Last edited by zenako on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

NiandoBG
Orc
Orc

Post by NiandoBG » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:03 pm

hunter_something wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:43 am

I also use 3D prints to get unique settings - often for one-offs - that tend to not be offered elsewhere. Or that aren't offered in as much variety as I'd like. Right now, I'm printing a mushroom forest.

I'm aiming to get at least 20 on the table - and I found them on printable scenery with 9 different models, so it won't be as repetitive as 20 MOAM!

That said, at the resolution I'm printing they take about 26 hours per print, so even at the makerspace, this is gonna take some time.

I don't print many minis because even with a decent printer, I'm bothered by the layer lines on them more than I am with terrain & scatter.
The Mushroomtree looks cool and fits well to The KS 6 DF mushrooms, by accident?

Did anyone noticed that the 3D Printing Community is heading for “Wildlands” as well.
I saw this pictures this week. They are not yet published but shall be soon and heared rumors that fatdragon is doing a new Kickstarter campaign with “Wildlands”.
Attachments
Forest with muddy road
Forest with muddy road
3ABF224A-7B1D-4EAD-9F6A-01236998B754.jpeg (158.05 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Transition to Mountains
Transition to Mountains
F173C140-7591-4AF3-A2AD-3D17E536E10D.jpeg (153.86 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Water tile example
Water tile example
339EF954-F035-4D84-85E6-98BDEB1BB34B.jpeg (94.95 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Water tile System
Water tile System
8933AE23-347F-4B88-9B42-7DFA88761949.jpeg (102.65 KiB) Viewed 216 times
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:40 pm

marcoreds wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:47 pm
- 3D print: in my opinion as of today 3D printing is pretty much a hobby in itself. To have good results, you need to know the machine, calibrate it well, swear at it, experiment with it, learn how it works, swear at it, learn how to fix/repair it, take care of it, and finally swear at it and hope it all goes well. We are FAR, in my opinion VERY FAR from a mass-ready product.
I would love to argue the point, but I'm literally currently installing an upgraded extruder onto my printer, so I've already blown my argument :?

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:47 pm

I'm also one who mixes gladly sceneries and tiles from many companies.

DF ones are probably the best tiles, though some others are very close (but can't come close to DF for number different pieces and environments, and sturdiness of the material).

For overground I use many other classical wargaming aids, not much DF.

This said:

- lower quality tiles: I am happy they exist, and even increase in numbers. They are the perfect entry point to start with. As Anime and others said, at the beginning I would never fathom that I would be willing to spend so much for tiles. I bought cheaper, worse ones. Then well, just a little DF to have a taste. Then well, just some more... You all know how this goes, I now never buy uglier tiles, and just mostly go with DF. I don't think I would have taken this road if I hadn't first started with something cheaper, that I thought I was ok spending lower amounts on, and that gave me the taste of 3D playing, and that extabilished in my mind the idea of spending money for this kind of pretty much just aestethic pieces.

- 3D print: in my opinion as of today 3D printing is pretty much a hobby in itself. To have good results, you need to know the machine, calibrate it well, swear at it, experiment with it, learn how it works, swear at it, learn how to fix/repair it, take care of it, and finally swear at it and hope it all goes well. We are FAR, in my opinion VERY FAR from a mass-ready product. With mass-ready I mean that to really become popular and present in every home as an everyday use item they need to become just as easy and reliable to use as a 2D printer. That is, just push a button and the printer does it all for you. It can't be an item that you need to mess with to get good results, since the greatest majority of people do not have the dedication and interest in learning a new job to print toys. Until that time, 3D printing terrain will remain a tool for people like us, that do have DF and use 3D to get even more pieces, that DF just doesn't produce for now, or as a cheaper starting point for those who don't think they want to spend DF money on DF items (for what they currently know :D ).

Cheers!

Return to “Gaming Talk”