O scale?

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re:O scale?

Post by Runeweaver » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:36 pm

I picked up some O scale cows and they turned out pretty good. The paint is marginal, but acceptable for my wants (although barely). Good enough that I might try and pick up some deer.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:22 am

O and HO are popular model train scales, S much less popular. You may have to order online to get S scale items.

As for miniatures, I wish there was an industry standard practice of photographing miniatures beside a ruler so customers would know if a particular mini is the right height for them. Oh, well.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:37 am

Another thing that has been hinted at in some previous posts: scales often vary a bit within themselves. Some manufacturers tie the scale to an actual measurement (which is more or less what was originally intended). Others fudge a bit. This means some O scale items actually fit another scale better. My father did model trains in HO scale, but many pieces from that don't quite match the scale. The other bit is that real people's height varies, as do the sizes of different animals - sometimes across breeds of the same species. I tend to take a largish figure and a smallish figure from what I actually use with me for reference if I'm shopping trains stuff or other items where there is not an exact scale match.

I've found that I can often find usable things in O and HO (I haven't seen S on the shelf at any local stores). I've also found that 1/4 scale dollhouse goodies are often in the right ballpark for 28mm. Some 1/72 model stuff also works with it, but 1/64 is a better fit. The big downside in my opinion is that most of the model ships, castles, and forts available for remotely reasonable prices are 1/72. The ones in 1/64 I have found tend to be rather pricey.

I do wish they would control scale creep in the near future. I'm fine with mixing some 28 and 25, but throwing in 32 things start to look a little wonky... I don't want to see something labeled as 28 and it turns out to be a largish 32 either.

brvheart
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by brvheart » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:48 am

Miniatures originally were 25mm scale which is the proper scale, but somewhere along the line manufactures decided people want bigger miniatures so they went to heroic 28mm scale and often they don't even stick to that. I find more that more and more than newer minis don't fit in DF while they did 10 years ago.

dafrca
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dafrca » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:29 am

I have found that if you just go to the train store and look around, the scale that works is based on what you are looking at. HO scale tent, looks like a pup-tent. O scale tree, looks great as an old oak. I have bought brick and stone sheets at various scales just because they all look fine as long as they don't have something to link to scale. Doors, ladders, animals, and people all are very obvious when they don't fit to the scale. But crates, bags, boxes, trees, various textures, all seem to work across many scales.

On a side note, the same goes for doll house materials as well. The items make the difference.

Oldmanwillow
Orc
Orc

Post by Oldmanwillow » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:40 pm

To add to the confusion some of the common figure scales are
2mm
6mm
8mm
10mm
15mm
18mm
20mm
25mm
28mm
32mm
40mm
54mm traditional toy scale
the Doll house scales
and ship scales

Battletech and Micro Armour 1/285

Of course no one seems to be able to agree how to measure.

raymunji
Goblin
Goblin

Post by raymunji » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:35 pm

Nice this has been helpful, I have been thinking about buying a train set to mod up like a dwarven mining cart to have run through my new Caverns set so the party can ride in it and have a fight on the carts Indiana Jones style.
now I know what to look for

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:23 pm

Which is 1/64. Table above amended.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

thebigteacher
Orc
Orc

Post by thebigteacher » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:01 pm

Try S scale.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:53 pm

Way back when, my understanding was that 25mm was supposed to represent 6 feet, which was actually convenient because that converted to 1:72, what with 25mm being so close to 1 inch and 6 feet being 72 inches.

However, many (most?) miniatures are (now?) measured to the height of their eyes, not to the top of their heads. So that's out.

From http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html :

1/87 = 18.5mm = HO train scale
1/76 = 21.2mm = OO train scale
1/72 = 22.4mm
1/64 = 25mm = S train scale
1/58 = 28mm
1/54 = 30mm
1/43.5 = 37mm = O train scale

Return to “Gaming Talk”