Pimp my Basement!

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Yukon Cornelius
Ogre
Ogre

Pimp my Basement!

Post by Yukon Cornelius » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:36 pm

It's hardly an opus, but I'm finally in a position to start. The upstairs is done, which was a chore in and of itself. I've also settled on a storage/display solution using Ikea's "Billy" bookshelves (you can put glass doors on them and turn them into display cases, or solid doors and turn them into storage cabinets.)

I haven't run a game since we moved into the place (unless you count the occasional minis skirmish), which is a little sad. Then again, the pink carpeting makes dungeon delving lose a bit of its edge.

On the plus side, the spider death toll is up over 300 now, and slowly tapering off. By the time I get around to knocking down walls, hopefully there won't be too many things living in them. :)

RabidFox*
Ogre
Ogre

Pimp my Basement!

Post by RabidFox* » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:33 pm

So YC, what is the status of your opus here?

MyLordVoid
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Pimp my Basement!

Post by MyLordVoid » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:29 pm

122 Huh?... That's Respectable... Course if You Have Kids, You Can always put A Bounty on the Little Buggers... A Nickle a Spider or some Such... Get the Kids Next door in on the act too!......

Yukon Cornelius
Ogre
Ogre

Pimp my Basement!

Post by Yukon Cornelius » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:39 pm

Yeah, right now there's WAY too much to do upstairs to worry about the downstairs too much yet. I've almost got stuff squared away to the point where we can play again, but that's about it.

The spider death toll is up to 122, though. The carnage continues. :)

RabidFox*
Ogre
Ogre

Pimp my Basement!

Post by RabidFox* » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:40 pm

YC:

What is the status of the basement aka gaming room now?
Or has the rest of the house overcome the inclination to work on the basement?
That happens sometimes, I know - veteran of many transfers.

brvheart:
I remember the brown recluse too well.
Not as aggressive as the hobo, but it carries a more powerful toxin.
The recluse is more of a webslinger than the hobo, which is more of a hunter.
Still our black cat Pilum would take those down too when we were posted there; the other two cats just seem to leave Pilum to do most of the hunting of spiders when we were in the SW.
Or maybe they just do not care about webslingers, but think that hunter spiders are intruding on their territory?
Ever since he was a kitten, Pilum has had a thing against spiders.
My wife added a suffix on his name before he was even a year old because of all of the spiders he had killed and sometimes took great efforts in killing - "Pilum Spidersbane".

brvheart
Minotaur
Minotaur

Pimp my Basement!

Post by brvheart » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:58 pm

Yes, not everyone is from West Texas were this is an issue. The worst we have here is the brown recluse.

RabidFox*
Ogre
Ogre

Pimp my Basement!

Post by RabidFox* » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:47 am

I'm thinking hobos as in nomadic homeless people, not as in nasty cat-fighting spiders.

:lol:

I get the laugh now!

Yukon Cornelius
Ogre
Ogre

Pimp my Basement!

Post by Yukon Cornelius » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:29 pm

I'm thinking hobos as in nomadic homeless people, not as in nasty cat-fighting spiders.

Hobos are aggressive and will try to fight it out with mammals like cats and dogs.
Granted they are not as aggressive as some of their larger South American cousins...

:lol:

RabidFox*
Ogre
Ogre

Pimp my Basement!

Post by RabidFox* » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:39 pm

Have to pass on the cats, since I'm allergic, but my trusty shop vac does just fine.

That is a shame since the cats only have to be fed a bit twice a day and they go after the spiders without direct supervision unlike the shopvac.
Try out a couple small terriers instead then, especially ones with wiry hair which will be much different than cat fur.

Oh, and just as an aside:

Had two hobos two months back try make a match of it with the three cats in the basement.

I'm choosing to take this sentence completely out of context, because it makes me chuckle so much. :)

Why so funny?
Hobos are aggressive and will try to fight it out with mammals like cats and dogs.
Granted they are not as aggressive as some of their larger South American cousins (anyone here lived their before - some of those spiders make tarantulas look small), but still they are willing to fight, not just bluff and run.
Not sure a dog could actually beat one, but cats have the reflexes to do so.
I have always wondered if importing a mongoose would be even better.
Friend of mine in India has three as pets, including one named after Kipling's Riki-Tiki-Tavi, one for each of his three children.
If they can take out snakes, they should be able to take out aggressive spiders.
So what was so funny YC.

Yukon Cornelius
Ogre
Ogre

Pimp my Basement!

Post by Yukon Cornelius » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:50 pm

Not sure about species. As far as I'm concerned, there are only two kinds of spiders: Dead and Gonna-Be-Dead. The house was empty for about 6 months before I bought it, so it's like Spiderpalooza down there.

Have to pass on the cats, since I'm allergic, but my trusty shop vac does just fine.

Oh, and just as an aside:

Had two hobos two months back try make a match of it with the three cats in the basement.

I'm choosing to take this sentence completely out of context, because it makes me chuckle so much. :)

Return to “Gaming Talk”