Replies from Dwarven-Mine Floor tile E-bay seller

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jkratzer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:32 pm

Thod creates some of the better "off-the-wall" stuff in the 25-28mm terrain field. I've been impressed with his Ice Dungeon since he first did it (I have a sample set on my workbench; unfortunately, I somehow stuck two pieces to the Formica top and they broke apart when I tried to get them loose. My bad! The pics he posted of the prototype mine rail tiles were EXCELLENT!

Jackattack, I DO hope you can make it to Shore Leave this year; it's gonna be great! Look for me at the Security booth or roving the halls, and of course, I WILL get by the Game Room as often as I can during the weekend!

Jim

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:47 am

Can't wait to see more of your crafting results!

Thod
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Thod » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:29 am

Jim

In regard to the scale of the tracks - this was the main reason that I didn't follow up real rail tracks for a long, long while. I couldn't really decide from measurements and the internet alone what would 'feel right.

As it turns out - it seems I have a 00 gauge (I think it's from Hornby)

There are two issues:
a) you want tight, very very tight turns. This would mean - the smaller the track (like Z) the better
b) you want a realistic looking size - DF is approx 5mm / feet which is a scale of 1:60

Z-scale is ideal for the tight turns - but 1:220 is just too tiny to look right if you want to represent DF scale.

OO-scale is 1:76 - this is already pretty close to a 1:60 scale.

OO-scale officially represents normal gauge - which is 1.43m gauge. Taking DF scale into account a OO-scale mounted on a DF mine would be equivalent to a 1.13m gauge.

A true mine track is narrow gauge - so the 1.13 gauge in DF scale (or a little bit less in 28mm scale) is approx. right. It also is just a tiny bit more narrow as the tracks I made myself on the tiles - without measuring - just from gut feel and looks.

So gauge vice I think 00 is fine (I will try to mount a few this weekend and will post the results).

The only bit which is off are the sleepers - they are too tiny in my view. But heck - just think about it. You have a dwarven mine with some wooden !! sleepers. How unrealistic is this in the first place. What I do looks like I imagined it - it is influenced by Indiana Jones - but in no way it will ever be realistic - hmm - realistic fantasy gaming - isn't this an oxymoron in itself.

Back to Z-scale - I still see one aspect where Z-scale could play a part. An Ore cart is A LOT smaller as a full train - especially modern ones. It therefore could make sense to take the innards from a Z-scale train - and then build it into a custom made ore cart using some 00 axles.

Hmmm - maybe I should visit the shop on Saturday and but some axles. Cheapscate that I am I didn't buy them straight away as I first wanted to ensure I like the size and look - as well as being able to make ultra tight turns. No - 00 is NOT being build for such tight turns. But flex tracks manage ;-)

Thod

PS not sure if it is 00 or OO - well - you know what I mean.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:03 am

Run, hide, it won't matter. Punsters always find their quarry.

I'm afraid that I can only give you a solid maybe on Shore Leave. My car is eating my discretionary income (new tires not so bad, engine replacement a huge problem, but better than buying a new car) so I get to spend another year or so being painfully frugal, but I'll see if I can massage the budget to make it work.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jkratzer » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:25 pm

Thod;

I think I've started something.
Excuse me whilst I run and hide for another six months.
Oh, HELP-P-P-p-p-p-p.....

jackattack, see ya at Shore Leave?

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:33 pm

This seems like a good time to express my desire for a DF Dwarven Mine with track and working electric cars. It is my DREAM!

Yes, it must be mine!
=D I dig your sense of humor, pfworks.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

pfworks
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pfworks » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:38 pm

This seems like a good time to express my desire for a DF Dwarven Mine with track and working electric cars. It is my DREAM!

Yes, it must be mine!

Celtchief
Orc
Orc

Post by Celtchief » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:20 pm

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jkratzer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:49 am

Thod -

Now that I think about it, you'll do better with Z-scale track, a la Marklin Mini-Club train scale (1:220); looking at the size of miniatures feet and the size of rail cars in Z-scale, they would make excellent ore cars for a dwarven mine in the Cavern set - and with a little help, a Z-scale Diesel or electric loco could be fitted under a custom made shell for a mine donkey engine in the correct scale for 25mm scale mining equipment. Which means, with a little work, you could actually put a mine - a WORKING mine! - in a Dwarven Forge Cavern, for a D&D or other game.
Now I'm getting hot. Ooooh! See ya!

Thod
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Thod » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:18 am

Jim

The way I remember it you dangled the possibility of some tracks in front of me like a carrot - but I don't think I was ever convinced they would arrive or that it even made sense to ship them as getting them local is probably as expensive as shipping them.

So do you owe me - morally speaking YES, YES, YES - in regard to real tracks - don't mind :rolleyes:

But what you still owe me big time is encouragement, comments, feedback, bad jokes. You know - I need all of these for motivation to get things done. I can;t do without you here :O

So yes - I got back on track (not only figurateivly speaking) without you. Now provide the push to keep me moving and I will show some pictures in the (near?) future.

Thod

Return to “Gaming Talk”