A Dungeons and Dragons Documentary

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:02 pm

Sadly, my dial-up doesn't allow me to view video.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:01 pm

The accent sounded accurate to me (my Dad is English and I still have family all over England) but the text was pretty awful.

It is an interesting documentary, but seriously, the social-awkwardness of gamers always astounds me. Stefan gets a pass; he was hungover. But most of the people appearing in this just end up sounding and looking so... essentially uncomfortable in their own skin. Not everyone, true. But, man... *shudder*

;)

L

Thanks for the pass L, it's true, I make a total ass of myself...especially trying to call DMing an art, ha,ha! It was really more like wishful thinking on my part (regarding my own game) and trying to convey that D&D is more like theatre than chess or monopoly (all of which I like) what I really was trying to say in all my bumbling and consequent insulting of the actual "art world" was that D&D is at it's best incarnation, a creative and a social game, but man, that hangover...!!!

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:51 pm

Uh oh...time out everyone...WOW!
besides the "accent" in the documentary (which was real by the way)...did anyone enjoy anything else about it? It would suck to have to lock this thread without any feedback besides a drawn out fight about accents...

please PEACE everyone!

What do you all think about the documentary? Did anyone see the clips with Gary Gygax? How about Donato? He was the special guest artist at Gen Con this year.

Any feedback?

otherworld
Orc
Orc

Post by otherworld » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:07 pm

I think otherworld you can stop pounding the pulpit now.
Even the most ignorant of American or otherwise can understand that at least some UK folks are prouder about their accent than the most regionally-minded Appalachian hillbilly is.
The horse is well and truly dead otherworld!

Your rude and aggressive style of posting is beyond tiresome. You really ought to learn some manners. Did you know that the use of bold type, capitals and underlining indicates shouting? If you want to stress a point, you could try using italics instead. Anyway, I feel the need to address some of your points:

BTW otherworld, you are evidently English, not Celt, if you think those of us who are, truly mind being called Brit if a citizen of the United Kingdom.

You couldn't be more wrong, and I'd be interested to see your 'evidence'. My ancestry is a quarter each of English, Irish, Scots and Welsh, if you must know. And I'm not British, or English, I'm a Yorkshireman!

Folks from the UK Celtic Fringe do not overally mind being called a Brit actually;

Again, you are very wrong. You should try visiting those 'UK celtic fringes' and telling the locals that they are 'Brits'. I'd be particularly interested to see the results of your trip to West Belfast!

What they truly ABHORE otherworld is being called the greatest of insults a person can verbally call them: ENGLISH!!! :mad:

My God, can you possibly be any more offensive!?

Methods of English oppression of the Celt and their languages and accents like the "Welsh knot" are still fresh in the mind of most UK Celts otherworld.

It's true that the English have very little to be proud of with regards to their treatment of the Celts (particularly the Irish), but the day is yet to come when I will take a lecture from an American on treatment of native peoples, either in their own land or abroad.

RabidFox*
Ogre
Ogre

Post by RabidFox* » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:47 pm

I think otherworld you can stop pounding the pulpit now.
Even the most ignorant of American or otherwise can understand that at least some UK folks are prouder about their accent than the most regionally-minded Appalachian hillbilly is.
The horse is well and truly dead otherworld!

BTW otherworld, you are evidently English, not Celt, if you think those of us who are, truly mind being called Brit if a citizen of the United Kingdom.
Folks from the UK Celtic Fringe do not overally mind being called a Brit actually; they will understand the absence of knowledge about regional accents from folks from outside the Isles.
I know - I have family there and have heard comments about this issue on many more than one ocassion.
What they truly ABHORE otherworld is being called the greatest of insults a person can verbally call them: ENGLISH!!! :mad:
Methods of English oppression of the Celt and their languages and accents like the "Welsh knot" are still fresh in the mind of most UK Celts otherworld.

On the other hand otherworld, I truly can say your final comment in your posting describes Englishmen perfectly.
They are you describe - overally proud of their accents even if it means they are from the bottom of English society.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:24 pm

David Niven has always been my model for a British accent, but there are of course many variations based on region and upbringing. J

ust as American accents come in a wide variety, including New York, New England (Boston), midwestern, southern, what I will call "backwoods", Texan, Californian, Cajun, and a few others. Even some of our accents have accents -- New York has at least three local variants, and Boston at least two.

All of ours, however, are proudly acknowledged as American.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

otherworld
Orc
Orc

Post by otherworld » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:39 am

Jim,

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'Brit accent'. This nation has a vast diversity of regional accents and dialects (even a few different languages), that it really isn't possible to generalise like that. If you think a British accent is that which is spoken by BBC newsreaders, librarians at Sunnydale High or the Royal Family, you'd struggle to find many 'real' people who spoke the same way.

It's also not a good idea to suggest to a Welshman that he has a 'Brit accent', or a Scotsman, or a Geordie, a Cornishman, a Brummie, a Yorkshireman, a Cockney, a Scouser.......!

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jkratzer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:45 am

OW -

I wasn't looking to start a fight or anything, it's just that the tone of voice and the text, as L puts it, made the guy's accent sound phony.
On the other hand, though, you LIVE in the UK; I bow to your greater knowledge of Brit accents.

I got blown out of the connection for going any farther than the second clip, so I don't think I ever saw Stefan; but I WILL be going back tonight for the rest of the story. It seems pretty good, IF you get beyond the narration.

See ya!

Jim

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:56 am

The accent sounded accurate to me (my Dad is English and I still have family all over England) but the text was pretty awful.

It is an interesting documentary, but seriously, the social-awkwardness of gamers always astounds me. Stefan gets a pass; he was hungover. But most of the people appearing in this just end up sounding and looking so... essentially uncomfortable in their own skin. Not everyone, true. But, man... *shudder*

;)

L

otherworld
Orc
Orc

Post by otherworld » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:56 am

Actually, what I was able to see wasn't bad at all, although the narrator needs to come out of his "Edward Herrmann meets Christopher Lee" persona. That was so obviously a fake Brit accent!

That sounds like a genuine English accent, probably from somewhere in the South East fairly close to London, possibly Essex or Kent.

Return to “Gaming Talk”