Secret Weapon - Mines

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Re: Secret Weapon - Mines

Post by ForestZ » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:18 pm

I honestly feel like the paint job is one of the biggest detriments to these things. Even if the sculpts aren't up to DF/GT standards, they're still pretty decent, but the paint job does nothing to highlight that at all. It's like they were looking for a painter and their friend said "Hey, I just got an airbrush!" and they were all "Cool, go for it!" I appreciate their attempt to add some color, but it's very flat and does more to hide the details than enhance them.

*edit*

Looks like the KS is now live:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... =discovery

Mobius
Orc
Orc

Post by Mobius » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:13 am

Everyone gather in. Time for a group hug!

I respect jchunick a lot, and his analysis of the campaign prototypes is spot on.

That said, I'm still going to back it at some level (likely add-ons). Why?
1) As amazing as DF stuff is, I need more diversity of terrain than what DF can offer. I love mines and desperately want some new cavern stuff.
2) The pieces are definitely below DF quality, but they're still far above "homemade by Mobius" quality. Many of you are master artisans, but I've mixed much worse than this in with my Dwarven Forge sets.
3) Reaper Bones material is very sturdy and a cheap price. I don't want to spend hundreds ordering some of the custom terrain out there. My kids also like to play with daddy's terrain, and Bonesium is the only material other than Dwarvenite that I trust them with (I have to be alert when I have Griffin Tamer stuff out and my 2-year old makes a dash for the gaming table).

Those reasons may not apply to other DF enthusiasts, but they're why I'll be giving this project a very close look.

Alkettory
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alkettory » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:20 am

anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg
anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg (60.14 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
:D

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:46 am

Oldent wrote:Image

"What can you expect from a simpering, devil-eared freak whose father was a computer and his mother an encyclopedia."

So dawn it is.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:32 pm

"What can you expect from a simpering, devil-eared freak whose father was a computer and his mother an encyclopedia."

So dawn it is.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:19 pm

Oldent wrote:Your comments involve aesthetics, I can not argue. If you don't like them don't buy them.

jchunick wrote
"so where does that leave us, now? With a completely baseless ad hominem that had no other intended purpose than to piss me off... mostly because I hate the term and it so inaccurately describes me in this case."

I believe that is another opinion.

You pissed me off. I pissed you off. We can drop it or meet on a sand bar at dawn.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:09 am

kodiakbear wrote:For Christ Sakes Grow Up!
Thank you for your contribution . You have lived up to expectations and illustrated my point again.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:27 pm

For Christ Sakes Grow Up!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:28 pm

Your comments involve aesthetics, I can not argue. If you don't like them don't buy them.

jchunick wrote
"so where does that leave us, now? With a completely baseless ad hominem that had no other intended purpose than to piss me off... mostly because I hate the term and it so inaccurately describes me in this case."

I believe that is another opinion.

You pissed me off. I pissed you off. We can drop it or meet on a sand bar at dawn.

ced1106
Orc
Orc

Post by ced1106 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:37 pm

I'm just gonna tear my hair out painting glowing runes. And bats. And probably glowing rune bats. :D

ReaperBryan said: "The Core set is going to be available for $75 as a reward that starts with one Starter Set and grows from there. There will also be an option introduced to buy a non-growing Starter, as well as options to buy various sub-sets of the Starter (like, just these x walls, just these x floors, etc.). Precise details will be revealed as the project advances. These will be produced in PVC." Other SWM thingies, like their Treasure Chests set, will be offered.

If you have questions or comments of the pieces already shown, post 'em in the Reaper threads. ReaperBryan has resin prototypes, so can answer questions that can't be answered here.

Reaper thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/ ... nes/page-6
SWM FB: https://www.facebook.com/SecretWeaponMiniatures/