Secret Weapon - Mines

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Secret Weapon - Mines

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:37 pm

Oldent wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:23 pm
Hirst arts can be cast in resin and concrete they do not have to be fragile.
When I say not fragile, I mean having the durability for a 3 year old with tendencies to have her buildings be demolished by explosions and other imaginative destruction. Dwarvenite is hard to break. Resin would snap or chip with what my daughter does with it. :P But yes, resin is more durable than plaster.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Oldent wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:23 pm
I wasn't interested in the low walls but I have changed my mine.
Did you see what you did there, because I sure did. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:23 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:42 pm
The more I wait for these, the more I feel I might put a bunch up on ebay. Seems to be the sweet spot between Hirst Arts and DF. Not fragile, but not expensive.
I wasn't interested in the low walls but I have changed my mine.

Hirst arts can be cast in resin and concrete they do not have to be fragile. While I have all of the Hirst Arts cavern molds I recommend 4 bot. for this application.
http://www.4botindustries.com/
http://www.4botindustries.com/caverns-1

W04 with GT gate

http://www.4botindustries.com/lava

http://www.4botindustries.com/tudor-city-builder-1

W24 is very useful with mines.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

JK - 123456
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JK - 123456 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:56 pm

GardenDM wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:31 pm
I'm interested in another set of mine tracks if anyone is selling. Feel free to PM me.
I'm sure DF will do mines at some stage...I'm less than secretively hopeful that caverns has a mines set similar to how the burrows was featured in the KS5... to me it wouldn't need to be elaborate even just the base tracks tiles would get the juices flowing.

I kind of wish they might do a 10 min video of 'visions of the future' and punch out a bit of a list of the things they will be looking at. I don't need detail but if I know they are doing mines in the next 5 years I'd wait.

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:31 pm

I'm interested in another set of mine tracks if anyone is selling. Feel free to PM me.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:42 pm

The more I wait for these, the more I feel I might put a bunch up on ebay. Seems to be the sweet spot between Hirst Arts and DF. Not fragile, but not expensive.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Oldent wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 pm
ForestZ wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:35 pm
Yeah, I guess I'll have to break out the clamps. I've only given it a casual examination. I forgot about the pacman piece (probably because I didn't get any Castles), but yeah, I assume since this is SWM's first rodeo in this department, they aren't aware of all the steps needed to be taken to get things to cool properly (something DF has been tackling each KS).

I guess if worse comes to worse, I could always try to glue the walls to the tracks, but if they really want to bend back, I'm not sure glue is going to hold them in the long run.
PVC glue is very strong.
I do not think it will benessasary. The tile in the photo adjusted without hot water in the time It took to photo and post.
Huh, good to know! I'll grab my clamps and let mine have a little sit for the afternoon. :D

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 pm

ForestZ wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:35 pm
Yeah, I guess I'll have to break out the clamps. I've only given it a casual examination. I forgot about the pacman piece (probably because I didn't get any Castles), but yeah, I assume since this is SWM's first rodeo in this department, they aren't aware of all the steps needed to be taken to get things to cool properly (something DF has been tackling each KS).

I guess if worse comes to worse, I could always try to glue the walls to the tracks, but if they really want to bend back, I'm not sure glue is going to hold them in the long run.
PVC glue is very strong.
I do not think it will benessasary. The tile in the photo adjusted without hot water in the time It took to photo and post.

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:09 pm

ForestZ wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:23 pm
I just got my sets yesterday. Overall, I think I'm spoiled by Dwarven Forge. The tolerances on these are not very tight (ie. builds tend to start getting out of alignment due to pieces not being accurately dimensioned), and some pieces are practically useless (Mine Walls set large outside curve does not remotely mesh with the curved mine track and I'm not sure heat bending will fix it.) I ended up getting 2 core sets, since they seemed like a steal at $75, but I think I'm going to keep the second one (which is actually 2 starter boxes) sealed for now and perhaps try to sell them off once I see what DF KSVI offers and see how much the boxes are going to retail for.

I think they'll be fine for a nice change of scenery in small sections off the DF style caverns, but I can't say they're my favorite thing ever.
I have 4 sets of track. I may base all of it. I will likely have to clamp it.I have noticed that the bones material is often influenced by the weather. This seems/is similar. Not as bad as vacuform, but it will require some work.
I was surprised how well the Terrain Crate mine track looks with the walkways.

The primer is sticky too.

The mold is metal/rigid the plastic is flexible. The distortion is caused by uneven cooling like the packman tile. I am afraid it is the nature of the beast.

This door was a lot worse than the mine track. It squared up without hot water. It is fine now.

I buy unpainted. I know it will need work.