[Kickstarter] Egyptian Dungeon Tiles

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Feymous
Orc
Orc

Re: [Kickstarter] Egyptian Dungeon Tiles

Post by Feymous » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:36 pm

Harneloot wrote:That could make a very nice outer dungeon prelude to the RotA DF sets....
My thoughts exactly! I enjoy painting, but have enough unpainted terrain and miniatures collected to last me for years. I'm in for two painted sets as well.

Thanks for linking this project Nikdo. :D

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:51 pm

I like the Egyptian motif, and I like their design (the walls that slope back slightly are how I've envisioned such a set for years) but I have two concerns.

1. The partial columns at the end of each wall section are a really nice feature, but without a freestanding quarter-column, putting two corner pieces corner-to-corner (for an alcove, or a zig-zag wall) will leave a pronounced gap. It doesn't come up in any other configuration, but it does limit layouts by excluding outside corners.

2. "...and tiny surface bubbles give every single one of these tiles a unique time-worn look..." sounds like spin on a common casting issue. If it isn't, they should add some more close-up photos showing off the texture.

If I had the money, I'd probably pledge despite these concerns. I really do like the motif and the design, and they would be really easy to enhance by painting in the wall writing.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Mobius wrote:I'm in for 2 unpainted sets - which seems to be the sweet spot for getting the advanced Stretch Goals while being able to build a decent sized Egyptian dungeon.

I has just thinking of painting up some dungeon tiles in a Sandstone theme, so the timing is uncanny.

This project has all of the usual warnings for a new company, so I wouldn't pledge hundreds. He's not promising the moon and things make sense so far (save the optimistic delivery dates).

If you're Canadian like me, this project is also good because it's in CDN $$ so you don't get killed on exchange rate, plus the Canadian shipping is even lower than US shipping.
I'm in a similar situation... I just started collecting Pathfinder material on their desert themed setting around Osirion in the desert lands of Garund.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Mobius
Orc
Orc

Post by Mobius » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:07 pm

I'm in for 2 unpainted sets - which seems to be the sweet spot for getting the advanced Stretch Goals while being able to build a decent sized Egyptian dungeon.

I has just thinking of painting up some dungeon tiles in a Sandstone theme, so the timing is uncanny.

This project has all of the usual warnings for a new company, so I wouldn't pledge hundreds. He's not promising the moon and things make sense so far (save the optimistic delivery dates).

If you're Canadian like me, this project is also good because it's in CDN $$ so you don't get killed on exchange rate, plus the Canadian shipping is even lower than US shipping.

Nikdo
Orc
Orc

Post by Nikdo » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:42 pm

All good points. I'm still on the fence. I think I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.
Nikdo, Master Ratcatcher of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:27 am

I do not think there is a lot of risk if you do not pledge for a huge amount of tiles. From the description of the material I am going to guess Hydrocal or Hydrostone. Can they cast it in time? Probably. Can they Pack it and ship it on time? Only if they already have worked out a good box.Will there be enough drying time to keep the weight down and shipping cost with in reason? I do not know. May be they plain to use a dehydrator. If it is some kind of resin it will cure faster. Ask
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:10 am

Nikdo wrote:What do you guys think? These are my main concerns:
1. Material
2. Shipping cost
3. Unrealistic delivery date
1 I wish it was made of Dwarvenite/PVC because I really like the look but I am a Dwarvenite fan so I will not be joining.

2 KSs with too cheap of shipping often kill the chance of true success. IMO

3 The only way I see the delivery date as possible is if they already had made a bunch for themselves and if the KS tanked they would have just keep them, now that they see the KS has taken off they can just keep making them during the KS and make a late month delivery on time. IMO

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:30 am

That could make a very nice outer dungeon prelude to the RotA DF sets....I do NOT paint, but I think I might be able to manage a brown wash?

edit: ok, I now see that they have a pre-painted (washed) option, so I am in for two sets! :D

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:50 pm

For me in Japan, the shipping cost is putting me off, as the shipping here is higher than the base pledge. The pieces look good with good detail, but as of a couple of days ago, they were unclear what material they were using except 'sandstone'

It is one of the best Egyptian motif tiles I have seen in a while.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Nikdo
Orc
Orc

[Kickstarter] Egyptian Dungeon Tiles

Post by Nikdo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:25 pm

I just came across this and I'm thinking of picking up a set for Pulp Alley skirmishing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... game-tiles

What do you guys think? These are my main concerns:
1. Material
2. Shipping cost
3. Unrealistic delivery date
Nikdo, Master Ratcatcher of Valoria

Return to “Gaming Talk”