Kickstarter - Adventure Tiles

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Ninja
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Kickstarter - Adventure Tiles

Post by Ninja » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:51 pm

Thanks for your support! We are talking about lots of cool backer only things we may be able to do during fulfillment. I am super happy about where we are heading and what is coming next!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:04 am

Just got back from Yosemite - GLORIOUS!

Glad to see this did so well and i got a free witches hut ;)

Spect Spidey - i agree with your concerns, but i think we have been spoiled by KS's set up to give way too many freebies (DF 1 & 2, Bones etc.) - I don't think this KS offers a significant discount from retail, but i DO think the quality is on par with other mats of similar price (and i am holding the Crystal Pond in my grubby little hand as i type) these are REALLY nice!

In the end, we all back or don't based on our own reasons - for me this was the mat i was waiting for - love it!

While i think the layering 2d terrain idea is clever, i look forward to expanding the "flat" terrain - pathways, trails, roads and varieties of water like swamp and mud. I'll use my 3D terrain from there!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Ninja
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Ninja » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:46 pm

kodiakbear- Thanks the trim to fit waterways was a really innovative idea Ed and I came up with over some beers. :) I am glad you like the art he really put his soul into it.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:44 pm

I really like what I am see in the mats and the waterways and think they will work great with DF.

Ninja
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Ninja » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:55 pm

10 hours to go! I wonder if we will find anything hidden up head, join us and find out!
Another great freebie unlocked the witches hut as well as the Trim to fit water ways and the frontier tower, more looming at the 35,000 mark and something could always be hidden from sight! :D

Ninja
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Ninja » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:52 pm

Titanforgesmith- Thanks for your feedback, I am glad you like the elements we are bringing.

Harneloot- Thanks for your support! Did you see the waterways?

Spidey-First I am grateful that you are taking time to engage me. You are able to upgrade your mat to a 3x3, 4x4 or 4x6 we chose a 30" mat to make sure it fit on most kitchen tables without fall over and still give you a place to write on with character sheets. (A choice we made after a bunch of research.)

1. Where your pricing is coming from. (Explained in my other posts to the best of my ability. Our mark ups are extremely reasonable and most of the product is finished in the USA.)
2. The choice in mat size. (See Above)
3. How to justify spending the amount for add-ons. Your pricing makes it about $5 a piece in the add-ons. (Remember this is not gloss paper this is the highest quality neoprene we could find with a sprayed seal to be hydrophobic to avoid damage from spills and does not crease or tear like the paper AND offers way more modularity)
4. The lack of freebies for those who are supporting your efforts. (Kickstarter is about bringing projects to life, this is something we could not do on our own. It is not a cash pull to buy a machine used in the dwarvenforge/reaper method of extreme discounts and so not applicable. The free pieces have been calculated on a total sales number, we are following a formula we know will insure that the product is paid for and reaches our backers. The higher our total sales the easier it is to absorb a smaller margin. Literally by not backing you are decreasing the freebies in a way. We are not bringing a product to market to lose money. I have employees and their families to take care of and will mitigate risk when possible rather then hope a greedier strategy works out. I respect if you disagree.

Titanforgesmith
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Titanforgesmith » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:59 am

I saw the kickstarter a while ago and really liked this idea of adding extra features where ever you like and using it as a base for a dwarn forge city or castle build.
But I already have other game mats.
The concept of the pit trap really appealed to me.
The idea immediately made me realise that if this was expanded into an earthworks trench system that would be part of a castle or fort defense, it would look awesome combined with 3D terrain.
Most of the other special add ons are things that I would prefer to use 3D objects for.
Best of luck with your cool kickstarter

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:43 am

I am in for the base mat (which I plan to pay to upgrade to a larger size). I think it will make a great base to put some of my 3D terrain on (as opposed to my wet-erase Chessex mat) I like that it has a grid and has some detailing i.e. is not just plain green. I am not interested in the other 2d pieces but think the base mat it totally worth it.
Last edited by Harneloot on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spect_spidey
Goblin
Goblin

Post by spect_spidey » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:15 am

Ninja wrote:Spect Spidey-

With the $40 mouse pad terrain included you actual get that 30 inch mat for $20.
Many people said other systems such as dwarvenforge were too expensive or "not worth it" and at the end of the day what I think appeals to me most (DF massive following) is a sense of immersion, not how cheap it is. I like my games to look nice and I have no problems spending money on my hobbies. Space can be a premium for lots of people and any Gms that travel to their gaming locations make all 3d terrain less practical. Which is why I think most use 2d options to begin with. This system meets the standards of being practical in storage (I can put the entire theme/system in one tube), durable (it holds up against tears, does not crease without extreme abuse and is resistant to spills unlike the paper tiles) and still immersive with quality art while being modular (the actual combinations and set ups we have made are seriously impressive and way better then a square paper tile).

In my opinion mouse pad is simply better then paper tiles as a 2d terrain choice. Other kickstarters have used lower quality ink and mats to lower their prices and even give away more pieces, that may appeal to some gamers. Lower quality for less money is simply not what Broken Egg Games does. Our printing is the highest DPI we can get on the market using the best mats and an amazing partnership with Skeletonkey Games to produce the best product possible. When taking that into account the product is simply not that expensive, it is an investment in upgrading your hobby while allowing the line to grow into something you can continue to see additional support come out in the future for by not counting on razor thin margins that may delay fulfillment or kill the line before people can experience how useful it can be.

I have mixed my mats and woodland terrain with my own extensive collection of dwarvenforge and LOVE how well it combines. Making a statement that you will only use 3d terrain or 2d terrain seems silly as there is no reason you can't use aspects of both to be 6 times as awesome!! :D (or is it exponential?)

In any case I love and value the feedback from this comminuty.

Fully funded and 29 hours to go with another free piece around the corner!
I think that by making your mat a 30 inch one, you are excluding the wargaming crowd. Most wargames require a 3 foot mat minimum. Going with the size you have, I feel is limiting your sales. And I do agree that the cost of the mat is lower if you factor in the initial buy-in. But it makes your pricing off. If I pay $60 for a mat and 8 scenery items, why am I paying $40 for just scenery items? And why am I paying $45 for a mat separately?

In regards to transporting, I own one each of the D&D Dungeon Tiles box sets. I can combine them into one box and carry all them in less space. I am not knocking the quality of the product. I think it looks excellent.

I just have a hard time with the following:

1. Where your pricing is coming from.
2. The choice in mat size.
3. How to justify spending the amount for add-ons. Your pricing makes it about $5 a piece in the add-ons.
4. The lack of freebies for those who are supporting your efforts.

Overall for me, I just can't see spending the amount of money you are asking. If I were to consider the $185 pledge, I would then ask myself, why am I not just buying around 3 sets of Dwarven Forge? If I am looking at the $60 pledge, then I am asking myself why am I not just buying two or three sets of the D&D Wilderness Tile box sets?

Ninja
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Ninja » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Anime- I have several mats as well, check out the waterways one we just unlocked and also just the quality of the art on our regular mat. Its actually really well done, Ed did a great job, you can even see brush and weeds!!

Spect Spidey-

With the $40 mouse pad terrain included you actual get that 30 inch mat for $20.
Many people said other systems such as dwarvenforge were too expensive or "not worth it" and at the end of the day what I think appeals to me most (DF massive following) is a sense of immersion, not how cheap it is. I like my games to look nice and I have no problems spending money on my hobbies. Space can be a premium for lots of people and any Gms that travel to their gaming locations make all 3d terrain less practical. Which is why I think most use 2d options to begin with. This system meets the standards of being practical in storage (I can put the entire theme/system in one tube), durable (it holds up against tears, does not crease without extreme abuse and is resistant to spills unlike the paper tiles) and still immersive with quality art while being modular (the actual combinations and set ups we have made are seriously impressive and way better then a square paper tile).

In my opinion mouse pad is simply better then paper tiles as a 2d terrain choice. Other kickstarters have used lower quality ink and mats to lower their prices and even give away more pieces, that may appeal to some gamers. Lower quality for less money is simply not what Broken Egg Games does. Our printing is the highest DPI we can get on the market using the best mats and an amazing partnership with Skeletonkey Games to produce the best product possible. When taking that into account the product is simply not that expensive, it is an investment in upgrading your hobby while allowing the line to grow into something you can continue to see additional support come out in the future for by not counting on razor thin margins that may delay fulfillment or kill the line before people can experience how useful it can be.

I have mixed my mats and woodland terrain with my own extensive collection of dwarvenforge and LOVE how well it combines. Making a statement that you will only use 3d terrain or 2d terrain seems silly as there is no reason you can't use aspects of both to be 6 times as awesome!! :D (or is it exponential?)

In any case I love and value the feedback from this comminuty.

Fully funded and 29 hours to go with another free piece around the corner!