Resin vs. Dwarvenite

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Re: Resin vs. Dwarvenite

Post by jgt4242 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:12 pm

William wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:29 am
jgt4242 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:12 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:I like Stefan's analogy in regards to materials. He stated resin is like the Cadillac of terrain. I'd like to expand on his idea with some of my own analogies.

Lets say you have two cars:

You don't drive your expensive car every day to and from work, typically. You keep it out of the weather and take good care of it. You bring it out for special occasions, maybe even to show off a bit, but then it goes back to its safe place. It stays at your place and is your baby. This is resin.

You also have a cheaper commuter car. You use it as often as you can because it can take the mileage. It gets borrowed by friends for a few days every so often. Your kids learn to drive in it. You still take good care of it because it's still very important, but if it gets a nick you're not going to blow your top because the car is made to be used. It may not look as nice as your expensive car, but it does the same thing really and does its job well. This is Dwarvenite.
I like your logic. In fact it suit me perfectly well since even if I had millions of dollars I would have no cadillac. As long as it has 4 wheels and work perfectly well for my need then I'm happy...I'm that kind of guy.
jgt4242, You must be either younger than some of us or just don't have any aches or pains yet. I have never owned a new car and prior to some physical setbacks I have sustained, anything would do as a daily driver. But now that I'm older and live a life of pain, I am much pickier than I used to be when it comes to comfort. My last search for an automobile had one specific item on my list; comfortable and multi-adjustable seats. That is why I ended up buying something I could never buy new, a 2003 Seven Series BMW with 'the' most adjustable seat in the industry (for it's day and possibly still are). They are friggen amazing, and the car is pretty O.K. too. ;)

.................................. P.S. It's not a Cadillac, no it's not, it's much MUCH nicer ................................

my two cents................... Also, in my opinion no car works perfectly. :lol:

When it comes to Dwarvenite vs. Resin, hands down Resin is the Cat's Meow, where Dwarvenite is a soundbite of that. I will note, I own quite a few Resin sets of Master Maze for now over a dozen years, but missed many cool series as they came out whilst I was paying doctor/attorney bills. Now that I'm broken and living on a fixed income I have given up trying to fill in the sets I missed :cry: . Dwarvenite has been my way of continuing my collection without really shelling out the big bucks. It's an addiction that my wife is kind-of O.K. with ($$$ :roll: ), but I would prefer Resin if I was still a working stiff. Playing with DF is one of my few joys left.

Even though I prefer the detail of the Resin lines, there are a few aspects of Dwarvenite that I really like though. Being a modder/modeler I love how easy you can modify (cut and add GreenStuff) Dwarvenite over Resin. I always thought Resin cost too much to dig into them like some modders here. I never thought I was good enough to go for it and possibly destroy some of my coveted Resin tiles, so I have not tried.

But, I did really like the last two KS's because of the opportunity to build things vertically. That has always been a pain with the older tile type sets whether Resin or the first two KS's with Dwarvenite. I was just bummed that the one-of-each buy-in for the Castle KS was quite a bit more than I could afford, so I ended up with a few Towers, but no Castle Walls or any of the mountains (which I hope the Erinthor Mountain mega set is on the website for years to come). I don't transport my sets (have not gamed in years) so that has not been a problem, but storing all these pieces to have them handy (even in own home) is my biggest dilemma. My biggest job though is getting all this painted, but I can still use the Dwarvenite unpainted so not critical (to me). :ugeek:
I'm turning 37 in a month. I have no car and don't wnat any actually. Public transport are pretty good where I live (in Quebec City, Canada). In fact I don't see the value of owning a car for myself for now. Maybe I'll get one someday, but honestly I simply don't need one as of now. I can walk 5 minutes to buy food, 10 minutes to be at work and I got about any type of shop in a maximum of 20 minutes walk radius circa my home. No car = more money in my pocket lol. Even with money not really lacking I don't see the point of Resin sets for my own personnal need versus what I can buy in Dwarvenite at a smaller price for the same thing. It's really a personnal choice, but Dwarvenite sets suit me perfectly well.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:29 am

jgt4242 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:12 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:I like Stefan's analogy in regards to materials. He stated resin is like the Cadillac of terrain. I'd like to expand on his idea with some of my own analogies.

Lets say you have two cars:

You don't drive your expensive car every day to and from work, typically. You keep it out of the weather and take good care of it. You bring it out for special occasions, maybe even to show off a bit, but then it goes back to its safe place. It stays at your place and is your baby. This is resin.

You also have a cheaper commuter car. You use it as often as you can because it can take the mileage. It gets borrowed by friends for a few days every so often. Your kids learn to drive in it. You still take good care of it because it's still very important, but if it gets a nick you're not going to blow your top because the car is made to be used. It may not look as nice as your expensive car, but it does the same thing really and does its job well. This is Dwarvenite.
I like your logic. In fact it suit me perfectly well since even if I had millions of dollars I would have no cadillac. As long as it has 4 wheels and work perfectly well for my need then I'm happy...I'm that kind of guy.
jgt4242, You must be either younger than some of us or just don't have any aches or pains yet. I have never owned a new car and prior to some physical setbacks I have sustained, anything would do as a daily driver. But now that I'm older and live a life of pain, I am much pickier than I used to be when it comes to comfort. My last search for an automobile had one specific item on my list; comfortable and multi-adjustable seats. That is why I ended up buying something I could never buy new, a 2003 Seven Series BMW with 'the' most adjustable seat in the industry (for it's day and possibly still are). They are friggen amazing, and the car is pretty O.K. too. ;)

.................................. P.S. It's not a Cadillac, no it's not, it's much MUCH nicer ................................

my two cents................... Also, in my opinion no car works perfectly. :lol:

When it comes to Dwarvenite vs. Resin, hands down Resin is the Cat's Meow, where Dwarvenite is a soundbite of that. I will note, I own quite a few Resin sets of Master Maze for now over a dozen years, but missed many cool series as they came out whilst I was paying doctor/attorney bills. Now that I'm broken and living on a fixed income I have given up trying to fill in the sets I missed :cry: . Dwarvenite has been my way of continuing my collection without really shelling out the big bucks. It's an addiction that my wife is kind-of O.K. with ($$$ :roll: ), but I would prefer Resin if I was still a working stiff. Playing with DF is one of my few joys left.

Even though I prefer the detail of the Resin lines, there are a few aspects of Dwarvenite that I really like though. Being a modder/modeler I love how easy you can modify (cut and add GreenStuff) Dwarvenite over Resin. I always thought Resin cost too much to dig into them like some modders here. I never thought I was good enough to go for it and possibly destroy some of my coveted Resin tiles, so I have not tried.

But, I did really like the last two KS's because of the opportunity to build things vertically. That has always been a pain with the older tile type sets whether Resin or the first two KS's with Dwarvenite. I was just bummed that the one-of-each buy-in for the Castle KS was quite a bit more than I could afford, so I ended up with a few Towers, but no Castle Walls or any of the mountains (which I hope the Erinthor Mountain mega set is on the website for years to come). I don't transport my sets (have not gamed in years) so that has not been a problem, but storing all these pieces to have them handy (even in own home) is my biggest dilemma. My biggest job though is getting all this painted, but I can still use the Dwarvenite unpainted so not critical (to me). :ugeek:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:14 pm

I love my Resin catacombs. They definitely look nicer. I treat it like the difference between your fine china and IKEA plates. Pull the good stuff out for special occasions.

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:00 am

kitenerd wrote:thats ok, i'm american and my english ain't so good either!

welcome to the forums!
Lol.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:07 pm

thats ok, i'm american and my english ain't so good either!

welcome to the forums!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

cell_maley
Kobold
Kobold

Post by cell_maley » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi cell_maley! Thanks for joining the discussion and welcome to the forums! :D
hi, thanks, i'm french my english is not perfect thats why i usually dont join, just read :p

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:16 pm

cell_maley wrote:i have only resin set, for me its way better, i dont like the look of most dwarvenite set...

i dont have kids so it's not a problem for me
Hi cell_maley! Thanks for joining the discussion and welcome to the forums! :D
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

cell_maley
Kobold
Kobold

Post by cell_maley » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:09 am

i have only resin set, for me its way better, i dont like the look of most dwarvenite set...

i dont have kids so it's not a problem for me

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:14 pm

I see no indication that Dwarven Forge plans to do another resin set. When would they be doing it? I think we will likely get maybe three more years before Stefan retires. I get the impression that he is only still doing this for the fun of it. It makes him very little money and he doesn't need the money. He has talked about wanting to find someone to take over in a few years. I think the one KS a year is all that they can handle and I don't see that moving away from Dwarvenite. Now they will likely occasionally restock the current resin sets (even that seems a low priority for them). There was talk before sewers came out about a possible collectors edition in resin and that never happened. I am not opposed to a new resin set, but it just seems highly unlikely at this point.

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:26 am

jchunick wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:I wonder if Dwarven Forge would ever do a run of the original master maze sculpts in Dwarvenite. I assume since they have the scultps it wouldn't be a huge cost? Or maybe the machines to make Dwarvenite are different. Like I said before I like the looks of the older fieldstone on the older MM resin sets way better than the newer game tiles sets. Agree with all the other positives on the Dwarvenite though.

Another thing is I don't know how many would buy a re-run of the MM sets in Dwarvenite if they already have the resin sets.
The process for resin casting vs. injection molding is very different. I also like the original master maze stone textures, too. I'd love to see them translated into Dwarvenite in the future, as well.

As for all the points listed for each side, I pretty much agree with most people who like both, especially those who admired DF but only started collecting it because of KS1 - which was my situation, too.

Like someone mentioned, I appreciate modding Dwarvenite a lot more than the resin. It's actually been part of my job to get resin cast pieces delivered to me and mod them with LEDs for the KSes, so I'm intimately familiar with what a PITA resin is to mod ;-)
Figured the process was different. Thanks for the info. In love all your LED lighting stuff by the way! Really adds a ton of atmosphere to dungoens.