Resin vs. Dwarvenite

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Re: Resin vs. Dwarvenite

Post by jgt4242 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:12 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:I like Stefan's analogy in regards to materials. He stated resin is like the Cadillac of terrain. I'd like to expand on his idea with some of my own analogies.

Lets say you have two cars:

You don't drive your expensive car every day to and from work, typically. You keep it out of the weather and take good care of it. You bring it out for special occasions, maybe even to show off a bit, but then it goes back to its safe place. It stays at your place and is your baby. This is resin.

You also have a cheaper commuter car. You use it as often as you can because it can take the mileage. It gets borrowed by friends for a few days every so often. Your kids learn to drive in it. You still take good care of it because it's still very important, but if it gets a nick you're not going to blow your top because the car is made to be used. It may not look as nice as your expensive car, but it does the same thing really and does its job well. This is Dwarvenite.
I like your logic. In fact it suit me perfectly well since even if I had millions of dollars I would have no cadillac. As long as it has 4 wheels and work perfectly well for my need then I'm happy...I'm that kind of guy.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:09 pm

I like Stefan's analogy in regards to materials. He stated resin is like the Cadillac of terrain. I'd like to expand on his idea with some of my own analogies.

Lets say you have two cars:

You don't typically drive your expensive car every day to and from work. You keep it out of the weather and take good care of it. You bring it out for special occasions, maybe even to show off a bit, but then it goes back to its safe place. It stays at your place and is your baby. This is resin.

You also have a cheaper commuter car. You use it as often as you can because it can take the mileage. It gets borrowed by friends for a few days every so often. Your kids learn to drive in it. You still take good care of it because it's still very important, but if it gets a nick you're not going to blow your top because the car is made to be used. It may not look as nice as your expensive car, but it does the same thing really and does its job well. This is Dwarvenite.
102 Resin and 210 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:43 pm

I did not own any Dwarven Forge before KS1. The few times i had looked into it, i found no stock of the basic sets and no notice of when they would be stocked, so i gave up.

When KS1 rolled around, i pledged for 2 sets figuring i would check it out and see if i liked it. As the KS rolled on it became 3 sets and add ons. In the pledge manager i converted to 5 sets and ponied up for the addons (should have got more addons! - that KS deal was TOOO good to be true!).

It was all downhill for my wallet from there ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Himajin wrote:While I prefer the look and feel of the resin pieces in almost all cases, Dwarvenite is my material of choice due to price, durability, and ease of storage. My collection wouldn't be anywhere near as large if it wasn't for the Dwarvenite Kickstarter campaigns. In fact, I probably wouldn't have even started collecting. I was a fan for 10 years before KS1 finally made Dwarven Forge an affordable option.
Yes agree. The many benefits outweigh the negatives for Dwarvenite. I sure like the look of the old master maze dungeons over the newer brick style sets. Fieldstone in the grey just looks better as a dungeon IMO

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Himajin wrote:While I prefer the look and feel of the resin pieces in almost all cases, Dwarvenite is my material of choice due to price, durability, and ease of storage. My collection wouldn't be anywhere near as large if it wasn't for the Dwarvenite Kickstarter campaigns. In fact, I probably wouldn't have even started collecting. I was a fan for 10 years before KS1 finally made Dwarven Forge an affordable option.
I didn't own any terrain prior to KS1 because of the upfront cost issue. After pledging I picked up some accessories on ebay but didn't really start collecting until after KS1 delivered. And it was a deep, deep, rabbit hole. :P
102 Resin and 210 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Himajin
Orc
Orc

Post by Himajin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:47 am

While I prefer the look and feel of the resin pieces in almost all cases, Dwarvenite is my material of choice due to price, durability, and ease of storage. My collection wouldn't be anywhere near as large if it wasn't for the Dwarvenite Kickstarter campaigns. In fact, I probably wouldn't have even started collecting. I was a fan for 10 years before KS1 finally made Dwarven Forge an affordable option.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:19 am

I started collecting with KS3. I have back filled my collection of Dungeons and Caverns. I have enough City Builder for now, and am looking forward to Castles! I have sooo much to paint.... I just can't get the time to sit down and do it. I also want to do some mods I have seen on the forums as well as process a few ideas of my own...

When I saw KS3 listed... I thought, hey, what a neat idea! I checked into the company, bought a handful of sets on ebay and from the store... loved what I saw and pledged. I was, and am, hooked. Was enamored with the portability, modularity, and ease of use. Showed them to my gaming group and they loved it. We don't play at my house, so tubs travel with me and the dwarvenite makes it quick and easy to set up and tear down each session. At this point, even unpainted, it has changed how we play.

As to resin... when I bought that first handful of sets... one of them was a resin set (Room and Passage) with bowties. The pieces were just A M A Z I N G! Then I got a Cavern Set. I just love the detail, how it feels in my hands, the sheer beauty! Since then I have been collecting... Over the last two years I have stumbled into a couple of amazing deals and acquired one each of *most* of the resin sets... still lacking in sci-fi sets, also have no ice nor traps. I am missing a few of the more "common" sets (short passages, diagonal walls, etc...), but they are always available on eBay. I expect to pick them up in the next year or two... have even managed to pick up a couple of promo pieces... but alas... much of what I am missing is out of my reach. Perhaps I will stumble into a another excellent deal (or two)! The joys and frustrations of collecting...

So we do not play with resin... at least not right now... perhaps on a future turn as Dungeon Master we will play at my house and I will break out the Den of Evil, RoTA, Catacombs, and/or water sets.
Won't that just wow everyone?!?

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:48 pm

jgt4242 wrote:I don't know if I should put in my 2 cents, but...oh well...

As someone who discovered DF 6 months ago and started buying some in late august I must say that, after I've seen those price on the resin sets, I'm REALLY happy with the dwarvenite ones. Price is a big factor, especially when you arrive late to the game like me.

I kind of play catch up now with older dwarvenite sets. I'm pretty much finished with what I wanted for dungeons and caverns, but I'm only half-in for the CBS stuff...and all that is really costly. Like 3000$ costly as of now. When I'll have everything I wanted on my to-buy list for KS1 to 4 I'll have spent a good 5500-6000$ and that's not counting the fact that we've yet to see KS5.

Buying Dwarven Forge sets has been for me, to this day, the most costly hobby of my life.

Now...If I would have to buy everything in resin...no way. I would never have bought a single set.
I've seen some resin sets first hand and yes they look REALLY great, but the look of the dwarvenite sets for their prices is good enough. Prices is great, look is great enough and they're indestructible; what could I ask more for my bucks?
Amen. Enter the needed new blood.

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Post by jgt4242 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:09 pm

I don't know if I should put in my 2 cents, but...oh well...

As someone who discovered DF 6 months ago and started buying some in late august I must say that, after I've seen those price on the resin sets, I'm REALLY happy with the dwarvenite ones. Price is a big factor, especially when you arrive late to the game like me.

I kind of play catch up now with older dwarvenite sets. I'm pretty much finished with what I wanted for dungeons and caverns, but I'm only half-in for the CBS stuff...and all that is really costly. Like 3000$ costly as of now. When I'll have everything I wanted on my to-buy list for KS1 to 4 I'll have spent a good 5500-6000$ and that's not counting the fact that we've yet to see KS5.

Buying Dwarven Forge sets has been for me, to this day, the most costly hobby of my life.

Now...If I would have to buy everything in resin...no way. I would never have bought a single set.
I've seen some resin sets first hand and yes they look REALLY great, but the look of the dwarvenite sets for their prices is good enough. Prices is great, look is great enough and they're indestructible; what could I ask more for my bucks?

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:18 pm

I suppose that I should weigh in on this. For those that have heard me in the past, there is no question which way I lean. I greatly favor resin for all the reasons listed above. I think Kitenerd said it the best. It just feels so special, magic even. Bluntly put, it just looks better. To argue that DFite looks just as good is, well...(here I go) kidding yourself. Case in point, the caverns and the water (rivers, lakes) are just incredible; and despite how many times I put them out, still draw the same "ohhhs and ahhhs". As for the fragility of the resin pieces, I concur with others here that have put their $0.02 forward on the matter. I own a lot of resin, and have never broken a one. Yes, some have hit the floor before (and I winced), but the piece didn't so much as chip. They are more stout than what people give them credit. Despite how many sets of DFite caverns and dungeons I own, I have yet to use them on the table. A pity, I know.

I could continue to hammer away at DFite, and espouse the vast superiority of resin, but there I would be doing DFite an injustice. For as much as I prefer resin, DFite is not without its benefits. For one thing it is a pleasure to modify. To this date, these are the only pieces that I will use to custom build what I want in DF. Grinding into resin is just too tricky (and expensive if you mess up) to attempt to customize pieces. All of the custom pieces I have made (poison needle traps, spear traps, campfires, magic orbs, etc. etc. etc.) are all made from DFite.

The CBS is amazing. I love it, and it is made from DFite. I can't imagine it as resin, and don't think it would fair well in that media, but in DFite the stuff is incredible. Furthermore, look at the roads that are now available! Can you imagine that in resin? I mean, I can, but wow! The cost would be excessive. DFite makes it possible to have an incredible modular city. I own a number of Miniature Building Authority pieces to augment my town with, and I'm very pleased how well MBA and DF compliment one another. They look great together, even the CBS and the MBA side by side still looks good.

The MBS is still my far preferred "tavern fight" scene. I won't use the CBS as it is restrictive and confined; furthermore it just isn't as modular as the MBS. It's a sad day when you won't be able to acquire anymore MBS sets. CBS though is still great for ambiance, and I'm glad that I have plenty of it.

DFite clear ice caverns are simple genius. They look incredible, and there is nothing to compare them to in resin, so they stand out as a must have for me in DFite. I have seen some incredible pieces painted up by others, and they are wonderful! I keep waiting for someone to paint one as lava, put diffuser LEDs in them, and make them have a warm glow. Have played around with that some, but too little success achieving what I want from them as of yet.

Storage. A silly concept you say? You bock at this point? Then you don't own enough Dwarven Forge. Resin pieces do look marvelous, and the larger pieces are truly a treasure; however, unless you have a very specialized system for storing resin DF (ahem, I do), it is a pain. DFite allows some freedom in storage compared to resin. You still need to have it organized so that you can find the pieces, but as for being as careful with them as resin...forget-about-it!

The price. How can you compare resin and DFite and not mention the $ attached to them? Let's face it, DFite is much more affordable than resin. This has allowed a super-elite-ultra market to expand to the slightly less restrictive super-elite market. And that is a wonderful thing. More people buying product allows more creative juices from Stefan and his artists to create more beautiful toys for all of us. Never whine about more of a good thing, so I don't whine about DFite (well, maybe just a little).

I could go on, and I've already typed too much. Suffice it to say, DFite has its uses and I am looking forward to my DFite castle that will be with my DFite town with it's DFite roads. But under that DFite Castle will be resin dungeons, caverns, lakes, etc.

Great topic, Anime.
Last edited by Runeweaver on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.