Who will be at GenCon 2017?

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
dreamlifter
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Who will be at GenCon 2017?

Post by dreamlifter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 pm

I arrived a few hours ago. I've got a number of events on the books. Have any details been set for the luncheon?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:17 am

Looks like it is time to get packing!!!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:19 pm

kmj9907 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:51 am
I will be at Gen Con this year; this will be my first time! I look forward to meeting people. I'm interested in the lunch, but I'd have to compare schedules with my wife first, who most likely would not want to attend the lunch. So, if I don't make any firm commitment before the seating has to be figured out, I understand. I still hope to meet folks at the booth and around.
I should have a firmer idea on seating soonish. Either way I will likely see you at some point if we make any effort, I usually go by the booth several times. Heck, if the booth wasn't always so well staffed I'd probably see if they need a volunteer! If you would like to pm me an email address or telephone number, I'd be happy to contact you near GenCon and try to see about arranging a time to at least briefly meetup. It's always good to put faces to handles!

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Post by kmj9907 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:51 am

I will be at Gen Con this year; this will be my first time! I look forward to meeting people. I'm interested in the lunch, but I'd have to compare schedules with my wife first, who most likely would not want to attend the lunch. So, if I don't make any firm commitment before the seating has to be figured out, I understand. I still hope to meet folks at the booth and around.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Forar80 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:15 pm
I will be attending Gencon (as a guest, not running an official event or with a booth that is) and would love to be a part of the lunch.
We should be good for you to attend as well. Do me a favor and private message me your preferred contact info so we can get in touch with you when it is closer to give final details on exactly where we will meetup to head over to the restaurant.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Magniopi wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 6:28 pm
I will be there and would like to attend the lunch again.
Last year I added three guests at the last second; I'll try and get a better count earlier this year.
Thanks!
Do you have a good estimate on how many you will have? I need to try to figure out how many spaces are left soon, thanks!

Forar80
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Forar80 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:15 pm

I will be attending Gencon (as a guest, not running an official event or with a booth that is) and would love to be a part of the lunch.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:48 am

bernyleung wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 12:40 pm
Just wondering if anybody knows why WOTC is no longer a sponsor of Gen Con, and hasn't been for many years?

When I met Peter Adkison (over 30 years ago, now), he and his friends had just formed WOTC, and he was the head. I understand that he owns Gen Con now. Was there lots of bad blood between him and Hasbro when WOTC was sold?

I'm sure Stefan knows the story, as he and Peter have been good friends for what appears to be a very long time now (Peter has an author acknowledgement page on Stefan's published book as well as an intro segment on the Dwarvenaut movie).
I know that when he left Peter made a public announcement:
"As of January 1st 2001 I will no longer be an employee of Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro
No, I'm not getting fired or layed off. I'm leaving voluntarily. I'm sure many of you will want to know why.
Well, I don't think that the core of my reasoning is any more complicated than this. When you start a company and run it as CEO for many years you think of it as your own. Yes there are other shareholders and a board of directors you answer to, but your vote is always the biggest vote. Then you sell the company and you go along trying to make the best of the situation, telling yourself that you still have the same responsibilities as before, plus a vote in something even bigger. That works for awhile until something happens that you object to and in spite of your best efforts you find yourself powerless to stop it. At that point you are forced to accept the fact that the company is no longer yours, that you no longer carry the biggest vote, and that can be difficult to take.

I'm not naive. I always knew intellectually this was the case, but to think you understand something and then actually experience it are two different things."

If I had to guess I would say it is probably at least in part due to Hasbro wanting more bang for their buck on their convention presence. GenCon is one of the most expensive to attend as a vendor. Their limited con budget probably lets them hit more cons and get better outreach spent on more cons that cost less, especially since there are other interests attending GenCon that can help demo their products without the costs of the huge booth.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:25 am

MarkHunt wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:24 am
I'll be at GenCon again this year. Count me in for the lunch too. Saturday works best for me.

- Mark, Poet Laureate of Valoria
Fantastic! If those committed to coming out for lunch would be so kind as to send me a private message with your preferred contact info I can use that to help make sure we are all on the same page and that things run smoothly. Previous years have definitely demonstrated that the last bit right before we meet up can be hectic and confusing! Also please provide head counts if you will be bringing anyone with you, the Pope table unfortunately has limited capacity!

MarkHunt
Kobold
Kobold

Post by MarkHunt » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:24 am

I'll be at GenCon again this year. Count me in for the lunch too. Saturday works best for me.

- Mark, Poet Laureate of Valoria

Return to “Gaming Talk”