Non DnD movies that are really .... DnD movies

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Re: Non DnD movies that are really .... DnD movies

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:53 pm

These are more in the Historical category but:

Kingdom of heaven
Braveheart
Troy (legend?)

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:53 am

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:42 am
Talistran wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:17 pm
I didn't see The Court Jester on the list. Amazing classic, and totally a classic quest.

Outlaws sneak into a castle by pretending to be someone else, jousting combat, capture the heart of the fair maiden, epic battles, etc ;)
Is that the old Danny Kaye film? I recall seeing that long ago.
Yes.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Arcarius2001 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:44 am

lostpict wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:48 pm
When I first started playing D&D in 1977, your character received a number of followers based on his / her charsima. So my first game had the DM and 5 players - our party size was 41 adventurers total and our game board was a 3x 6 sewing board fighting about a dozen trolls with about 70% casualties. All our adventures that summer involved big parties, so that was my paradigm for years. As such, movies like Sinbad or Jason the Argonauts or Robin Hood always remind me of D&D.
Back in the days of using a "caller"! I started in '79 but we still used henchmen, just not so many!

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:43 am

We typically lost a couple or three PCs per a session. We would either takeover a hireling as our new PC or less frequently pool all our resources for a partial or even rarer full resurrection.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Arcarius2001
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Arcarius2001 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:42 am

Talistran wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:17 pm
I didn't see The Court Jester on the list. Amazing classic, and totally a classic quest.

Outlaws sneak into a castle by pretending to be someone else, jousting combat, capture the heart of the fair maiden, epic battles, etc ;)
Is that the old Danny Kaye film? I recall seeing that long ago.

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:31 am

lostpict wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:48 pm
When I first started playing D&D in 1977, your character received a number of followers based on his / her charsima. So my first game had the DM and 5 players - our party size was 41 adventurers total and our game board was a 3x 6 sewing board fighting about a dozen trolls with about 70% casualties. All our adventures that summer involved big parties, so that was my paradigm for years. As such, movies like Sinbad or Jason the Argonauts or Robin Hood always remind me of D&D.
Henchmen/Hirelings seem to be an unpopular feature in most D&D games I've played. So many groups want to focus on a single character for each player, and roleplaying each character through personality quirks, copious backstory, and a DM that caters to the players keeping their characters alive.

When I DM, I love having expendable NPC henchmen and hirelings, and expendable player characters since a player can always grab a henchman and continue to play. Really ratchets up the tension, and makes a dungeon feel much more dangerous. Sure, the PCs are the heroes and the story revolves around their choices, but without that sense of risk there's much less sense of achievement when surviving a dungeon.

Anyway, there are a bunch of great movies listed in this thread! I find I get ideas for D&D in all sorts of books, movies, and other games -- character traits and descriptions I adopt for NPCs and villains, motivations and twisted plots, scenes, encounters, locations...

But to capture the "feel" of D&D, I need the movie to be fantasy (including magic), a group of different personalities joined together for a heroic cause (not soldiers following orders), challenges that include combat and traps, rewards that include treasure, and characters that grow more powerful during the story.

Unfortunately, even the best movies don't quite hit the fun of actually playing. Mostly, when I spend a couple hours watching a D&D type of movie, I wish I instead had had the opportunity to play D&D with a good group of friends...

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:48 pm

Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Warduke
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Warduke » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:18 pm

My criteria would be something like...

A small group of characters of varying skills and backgrounds, band together and partake on a grand and dangerous adventure to stop an evil or antagonistic person or group. The setting generally relies on swords, magic and fantastic creatures. Bonus points for dungeon crawling in some fashion.

Off the top of my head I can think of...

Conan the Barbarian (Most underrated movie ever)
Conan the Destroyer (Even though it was bad)
Willow
Excalibur (This one is a little iffy due to the lack of fantastic creatures)
The Beastmaster
The Dark Cauldron
The Mummy series
The Original Star Wars Trilogy - Especially ANH (lightsabers and the force count in my book but I won't discuss the prequels or Ep VII)
Dragonslayer (lack of a true party hurts this one a bit)
Dragonheart (lack of a true party hurts this one a bit)
Aladdin (Disney)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney)
The Pirates of the Caribbean series
The Lord of the Rings series
The Hobbit series
Masters of the Universe (Yeah, it was bad but it counts)
The Dark Crystal (When you have a really weird DM)
Clash of the Titans
Jason and the Argonauts
The Sinbad movies of the 70s
The 13th Warrior (The dungeon crawling makes up for the lack of real magic and fantastic creatures IMO).

Honorary mentions that come close...

Blade 2 & 3 (Yeah, I know 3 sucked... pun intended)
Bram Stoker's Dracula
The Underworld Series

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:27 pm

I think the National Treasure movies fit the mold.

And not a kidnapped princess in sight!
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Late to the party, but I also somehow missed that "Lo Pan Style" parody. That is pretty awesome!

I would add to the list a couple good fantasy jaunts:

Pirates of Dark Water - Old Hanna Barbera cartoon that definitely has a piratical D&D vibe. Lots of fantasy elements, unique races, magical treasure, etc. Plus there are jitatin monkey-birds (show reference).

Record of Lodoss War - This one is Japanese Anime and there are two. The first is like a good D&D campaign with a slight injection of Japanese turned into an animated show. The second isn't as good IMO, but it is still decent.

And if you are okay with a bit of Science Fantasy that still fits the bill:

Starchaser: The Legend of Orrin - It is basically a more dystopic version of Star Wars with a bit more fantasy mixed into the Sci-Fi.

Return to “Gaming Talk”