Terrascapes Caves & Grottos Kickstarter - A nice augment to DF caverns?

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Terrascapes Caves & Grottos Kickstarter - A nice augment to DF caverns?

Post by bernyleung » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:39 pm

Woot! Woot!

minigrinder
Kobold
Kobold

Post by minigrinder » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks Jas! Here's to many more!

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:44 pm

minigrinder wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:02 am
I'd just like to thank any of you who helped make my dream a reality. We successfully funded yesterday! Pledge Manager will remain open until Dec 31st for any Pre-Order sales!
Congrats on the successful campaign!

minigrinder
Kobold
Kobold

Post by minigrinder » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:02 am

I'd just like to thank any of you who helped make my dream a reality. We successfully funded yesterday! Pledge Manager will remain open until Dec 31st for any Pre-Order sales!

minigrinder
Kobold
Kobold

Post by minigrinder » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:20 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:58 pm
I agree that price per piece (especially when comparing with DF) is not the right way to measure value here. Many of the pieces are probably 4x to 8x the size of a "standard" DF piece.

Looks very nice, but I really don't have the budget for this right now. Looks like I'm doing alright with my KS2 collection. Still need to paint my Erinthor Mountains.
I couldn't afford them myself unless this campaign was successful lol. I'm literally throwing my last dime at this.

I think when ppl see the size of a $13.50 piece in their hands, they'll see it's scale for what it is. It's value per volume isn't much more than a bonesium piece of equivalent volume. People don't typically weight value solely on cost. A medium sized cinder, a $20 bones dragon, next to a $20 cave wall pack ain't a bad trade.

What makes these cost more is if you are International, and especially if you are European. Also, I have valued the labor of painting at a professional rate of $15/hr. If this campaign skyrocketed, I was going to actively train and employ local tabletop painters to help with the load.

After fulfillment, TerraScapes will be made to order. I'll basically give John at Effin Cool Minis a call, then they'll cast them. I do not plan on offering them painted after fulfillment. A customer can always request it through my commission services. However, my commission service's aren't always open. That's why I will be making how to paint TerraScapes videos which will cover basic dry brushing and wash techniques.

... and I'm going on... lol I blame the wine!

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:58 pm

I agree that price per piece (especially when comparing with DF) is not the right way to measure value here. Many of the pieces are probably 4x to 8x the size of a "standard" DF piece.

Looks very nice, but I really don't have the budget for this right now. Looks like I'm doing alright with my KS2 collection. Still need to paint my Erinthor Mountains.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:25 pm

minigrinder wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:22 am
I wish they were cheaper too!!!

lol, I can assure you folks that these pieces are priced as cheap as I can make them without it being pointless for me to jump through all these hoops to produce them. Furthermore, by volume I believe their value can be compared with any other terrain out there, especially when you consider their functionality. They are extremely fast to setup, and their double-sided nature adds to their modularity and varied gaming space.

Argh! No grid?!? Let me say that I too am a grid lover. The system we play relies on it heavily. When I designed these, I kept a mini with a 1" round base nearby. As such, much of the aesthetic spacing is optimized for 1" round bases. While there is no grid, I was surprised at how easy it was to account for movement as a result of the design. For spells and ranged attacks, a marked up dowel rod or string works fine. I can honestly say, it is a little liberating to play without a grid!
See my posts on using dowels for movement. Love your stuff and yes, it fits well with DwF - it is neither a replacement nor a competitor. It fits with DwF.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:38 pm

Welcome to the forum, minigrinder!

minigrinder
Kobold
Kobold

Post by minigrinder » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:39 am

pacarat wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:06 am
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing the next batch of sculpts. Hoping to see some things that would work well as small islets or rock outcroppings for my Caribbean Island Blood and Plunder games.
Thanks for the warm welcome! The Cliffs & Crags will definitely address this! In fact, if I may be so presumptuous to say, they will be perfect for it!! I can not wait to fulfill CnG so I can get working on CnC! I'm not sure if you noticed, but I added some scenic pieces to the CnG campaign. I will be doing the same for CnC. I hadn't thought of using them for islets, so I will definitely make sure to add some palms as scenic supplements to that set.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:06 am

minigrinder wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:22 am
I wish they were cheaper too!!!

lol, I can assure you folks that these pieces are priced as cheap as I can make them without it being pointless for me to jump through all these hoops to produce them. Furthermore, by volume I believe their value can be compared with any other terrain out there, especially when you consider their functionality. They are extremely fast to setup, and their double-sided nature adds to their modularity and varied gaming space.

It really is hard to get a sense of scale with these pieces, without seeing them in person honestly. It's not just 35 pieces or 70 sides. These are large tiles with the largest being over 8" × 8" and almost an inch high. 6 of those pieces are about 2 inches tall! Another 9 are almost 3 inches tall!!

Another post was concerned about their durability. I went ahead and made this video to show that they won't randomly shatter into a million pieces (as long as it's not a life goal to make them do so lol).
https://youtu.be/7O94HN9nqd4

Argh! No grid?!? Let me say that I too am a grid lover. The system we play relies on it heavily. When I designed these, I kept a mini with a 1" round base nearby. As such, much of the aesthetic spacing is optimized for 1" round bases. While there is no grid, I was surprised at how easy it was to account for movement as a result of the design. For spells and ranged attacks, a marked up dowel rod or string works fine. I can honestly say, it is a little liberating to play without a grid!

Originally I made this terrain to fill my own needs. I want to eventually broadcast totally immersive tabletop scenarios on my YouTube channel. Building a set for even a monthly show would be a struggle. I needed something that could be put together over and over and always be different. This is also one of the reasons why there is no grid. After playing on them I realized their potential.

I've been lurking on this post since my first failed attempt at launching TerraScapes. I am delighted by all the responses, both positive and negative! I just want to say that I am not on a mission to compete with DF, or anyone else. That would be a ridiculous prospect to say the least! I feel there is a void in quick to setup, Natural Terrain (with a capital N) out there. I will be focusing future sets primarily on Natural Terrain and scenic accessories. The next of which I am calling Cliffs & Crags! I'll begin working on them as soon as Caves & Grottos is fulfilled. Interested in seeing some previews of Cliffs & Crags? Take a look at the multi-sided Cave Walls in CnG. They essentially were my test run for CnC!

Finally, if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Don't hold back, I can take it! And thanks again for your interest!

P.S. pick a pack up and throw them down on your DF! I know you'll wish you got more lol! They really go well together!
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing the next batch of sculpts. Hoping to see some things that would work well as small islets or rock outcroppings for my Caribbean Island Blood and Plunder games.