Adventurescapes

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Adventurescapes

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:17 pm

Kevin, I think the difference came from the difference of customer sharing a new kickstarter compared to a creator posting about it and starting the dialog. Stefan is a pretty good guy though, and I think actually this is a good example for future creators on the tolerances of the forum. We love to discuss gaming kickstarters here, and some have been in the same wallet space as DF, but typically those posts are originated by backers/fans to discuss the merits of the KS.

I could be wrong here, with Stefan's restaurant analogy it's not ok for a diner for go and drop a menu for Restaurant X on Restaurant Y's tables any more than it is to have the owner of Restaurant X do it. But I feel some other KS discussions have been discussed here because a backer posted initially about the kickstarter. Again, I could be wrong.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:30 am

Let's realize, we're all fellow gamers, and we should encourage diversity in offerings for our hobbies. No one company can fill every niche that everybody would want. As long as the talk is respectful, and nobody is saying "oh, but my product is SO MUCH BETTER than their stuff", and instead the focus is on how these diverse elements work *together*, I think the information is great!

Let's get real: how many of us can say that DF has 100% of our gaming accessory dollar? Certainly not me. This year alone I've backed two other dungeon accessory products, one has shipped, the other will in the next few weeks. I still spend on WOTC products because that's the basis of 5E games. Would the gaming world be a better place without Pathfinder? Without Reaper? I think not!

forgeprints
Kobold
Kobold

Post by forgeprints » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:11 am

Hi everyone this is Kevin from Forge Prints,

I have been lurking here on these forums for the last 2 years and as you can see never post. I just made my account when i became a backer of dungeon of doom! I made the original post because we were excited for our Kickstarter and designed the whole thing to be compatible with Dwarven Forge! We see DF as the gold standard in the industry and who we wanted to "align with"

First I want to say that I have been posting about my small studio on the reaper forums for years they have a kickstarter spot for it! I do apologize to Stefan because honest I thought this forum was the same concept as reapers! I saw tons of posts and this is where everyone talks about kickstarters. After I saw some of the angry responses to my post, since that was never our intention I stopped posting and just kind of watched.

We at Forge Prints with Adventurescapes are not looking to make a competing tile system, this kickstarter is our first baby step in what is our bigger vision! The intention of Adventurescapes is to make specific locations with all the accessories needed and then down the road after we have crawled there will be a next level idea. I am sure some can guess what it is but its not finished being flushed out yet. I Can tell you it would work best being aligned with a robust tile system and why we have aligned with whats in our minds the best.

Honestly we are too small to approach Stefan ahead of time I am sure he gets tons of noise so we decided to start first and then when we are slightly more meaningful try and have a dialog :) I Am sure everyone involved and participating in the campaign sees we are fans and working to make our offering more integrated not a replacement.

Hopefully in the near future we can sit down with DF and swap tales and share our vision, were a short ride to the north and happy to come see you.

So once again I apologize that I did not understand the intent of these forums, but when i saw it was not going the direction i intended I chose to not respond until I saw some sort of opinion from the DF team!

I'm putting my email here as well, always happy to respond to anyone but for now at least I'll go back to just the lurking observer :)

Kevin Kennedy,
kkennedy@forgeprints.com

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:42 am

I refrained from posting on here earlier as I was of the mind that some of the product on offer was in direct competition to DF products and so agreed with Harneloot and felt that it was at best bad taste and worst unacceptable, though I did not once think they were trying to undermine DF, just another gamer trying to see his vision become a reality.

But I also backed it - solely for the docks and maybe some accessories you understand ......
I also felt it was for DF forum admins to decide what it acceptable to post and what isn't and so interpreted their silence as acceptance.

Part of the reason I frequent this forum is its generally relaxed attitude and we are all gamers together and others have plugged their products and services.

So then reading what Stefan had to say on the matter was very enlightening and a re affirmation of why I support DF, they are in it for the gamer not for the dollar though they need the dollar too.

But I was glad he was irked ;) I would have been too, but its all good for us gamers so all is forgiven :D

Possibly a separate forum section for stuff like this could be created where perhaps permission has to be sought prior to posting so all us Valorians know that DF are ok with it.

#justathought from the Bunnyhivemind
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:39 am

Those of you defending us against competitors my heartfelt thanks:) I honestly appreciate it!

As many of you already know, we are not your standard company...I am not only a CEO I am also an Artist, and a Gamer....so I'm going to do something dumb and be honest (as usual) and try to tell you all how I really feel:)

Does it irk me sometimes when I see others "imitating" my products? Yes, part of me. But my Gamer side says, hmmm...do I like it? If it's bad quality I am bothered more than if it's good quality. Because I hate to see gamers getting "duped" by lower standard products...I hate to see them waste money on inferior products, when my "business" side says, man, that could have been spent on DF instead, and worse case scenario, maybe those poor gamers get a bad product and then decide to LEAVE 3-D gaming altogether! That is bad for the industry as a whole😩 So, I prefer high quality competition/copying!

In some cases, if it's real good stuff, I'll even back it myself or trade my stuff for it...because, I'm also a GAMER!

In some cases my "competition" says good things about Dwarven Forge and that makes me feel good:) If they said our stuff was awful I am pretty sure I would be upset as an artist and as a person who has been insulted. (Fortunately, that's not the case here)

Does competition hurt Dwarven Forge? Probably a little bit. Will we survive? Yes. Does the rising tide lift all ships? Yes.

Is competition good for Gaming and for the growth of Terrain in gaming? Yes it is!

Do I mind competition? No. It makes you better!

The restaurant analogy is a good one. If Dwarven Forge were a restaurant on a street with other restaurants of similar cuisine would we be happy if yet another restaurant set up shop? Well, it depends on how they did it. If they stole our secret recipes I doubt any restaurant would be happy. If they had different items on their menu but not the exact same as ours I think that would be OK...if having many variety of restaurants in the same neighborhood brings more customers from far and wide and fills up all the restaurants then everyone is happy.
If I go to somebody's restaurant and drop flyers on their tables for my restaurant is that fine? I dont think so😬 So that "does" irk me a bit (and I'm not the only one I see)

Docks: I'm planning to do them either in KS6 or KS7...hope I can still sell enough of them to break even. I'll learn from current offerings and feedback from my fans try to make better ones:)

We are not the only restaurant in the neighborhood, we might have been the first real big one, but love for the cuisine is growing I hope:) I love this hobby, it's bigger than I....

I'll be honest, dropping menu's on my table was a bit in bad taste, even in competition there should be some rules or there will be bad blood...but I forgive them:)
I am happy they are the same scale and compatible because that is good for ALL the enthusiasts (me included)

That's my honest opinion?

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Mobius wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:14 pm
All I need now is some good ships. My only ship is a plastic kids pirate ship toy where I gave it a popsicle stick plank floor, and primed and painted it. I really like the ones from that Etsy store, but I'm not going to drive to the States just to pick up 1-2 ships at the border.
Then buy more ships and make it worth it! ;) :lol:
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Mobius
Orc
Orc

Post by Mobius » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:14 pm

I backed it too - for the Docks of course.

In my opinion, this is a forum for DF collectors, so anything that is a good supplement to our DF collections is fair game (whether a DF mod, something from a Craft store, or another KS project). I've been wanting Docks for my Valoria since KS3, and this project fits that bill - the docks part of the project is filling a DF collecting need instead of being in competition with a DF product.

All I need now is some good ships. My only ship is a plastic kids pirate ship toy where I gave it a popsicle stick plank floor, and primed and painted it. I really like the ones from that Etsy store, but I'm not going to drive to the States just to pick up 1-2 ships at the border.

Mitch
Orc
Orc

Post by Mitch » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:52 pm

MerovingianKing wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:43 am
Not the best pics, phones camera is a bit wonky. But here are some mimics and other samples of their unpainted stuff. Lighting is weird because I had my Ottlight shining on them..... I suck at photos.

[/url]https://imgur.com/gallery/grMsx[/url]
Thanks. Just what I was after.

ced1106
Orc
Orc

Post by ced1106 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:13 pm

MerovingianKing wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:43 am
Not the best pics, phones camera is a bit wonky. But here are some mimics and other samples of their unpainted stuff. Lighting is weird because I had my Ottlight shining on them..... I suck at photos.

[/url]https://imgur.com/gallery/grMsx[/url]
Nice!!!

Kevin (and Kevin) from ForgePrints showed a video of the material of their product. The Adventurescapes tiles will be made of a more plastic resin (that's my description) that's more durable, etc. than the mimic and other resins. https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/018/ ... 4_high.mp4

EDIT: FP says its more cost-effective for them to provide the pledge bundles than offer individual add-ons, but see this update. : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... ts/1984151

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:20 pm

jchunick wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:39 am
Alkettory wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:33 am
Anyone else notice that Nate is an Adventurescapes backer? :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... t-17970871
I've chatted with Nate before about the various and numerous Kickstarters he's backed. He has some interesting reasons.
I have no idea how much Nate is in for (nor is it my business), but i know that many consider it professional courtesy to back colleague/competitor products. Yes everyone is competing for a slice of the pie, but the more pie on the table the better fed we all are. They put all the chinese restaurants on the same block for a reason ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939