Forbidden Island

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Forbidden Island

Post by kitenerd » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:25 am

Berny,

Forbidden Island is WAY better. Play balance is perfect.

Forbidden Desert is interesting, but VERY challenging.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

hropak

Post by hropak » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:06 pm

Personally I prefer Forbidden Island
I really like to play with my pets. I'm wondering why nobody don't want to strike like this

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:47 pm

If anybody has played both Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert...which one do you prefer?

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 am

Thanks for the tip as I am always looking for a good cooperative family board game ;)

Just ordered a copy :)

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:49 am

2-4players

no gm

this is really more of a board game than anything - but it is very suspenseful and a lot of fun

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:17 am

Sounds fun, when you mentioned the island sinks it reminded me of Hank Johnson's comment when he was worried about Guam capsizing if we moved to many troops there. Sad thing, he's been voted back into office a few times since. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Wt2EKE1j4 Just over two minutes long, if you have not seen it.
Frightening to think, these are the folks running this place. HELP !!!

Anyway, I was wondering how many play at a time and is everyone a player (as in no GM/DM needed)?
Thanks.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Forbidden Island

Post by kitenerd » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:54 am

just a brief review of my favorite family game - split off from another thread so as not to derail
bernyleung wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Thanks, kitenerd! Forbidden Island? I think I might have seen that played on Wil Wheaton's TableTop, or was that Forbidden Desert? (as opposed to forbidden dessert, which is pretty much everything sweet is to me) I don't remember a coloured element to that game - or maybe I'm mistaken in remembering....
Forbidden Island is a simple cooperative board game that is PERFECT for families - It is in my estimation the best game ever made - because it is cooperative play goes like this "ok, i can do 3 things should i do a, b, c or x, y, z?" then everyone helps everyone else optimize their turn so you all win or lose together - it is awesome because the 5yr old and grandma can both play even though they may not totally understand (or care to in the case of grandma) what the heck is going on

The goal of the game is to collect statues of the 4 elements and get back to the helicopter before the island sinks - play balance is almost perfect - you either just make it, or just fail - it seems like it is always within a turn or two (rate at which island sinks accelerates so there is a tipping point where you cannot sandbag fast enough) - with small kids you can cheat the setup a bit to insure victory - there are a whole bunch of cool alternative island designs online that make for very challenging game play (round is easiest to keep intact)

Forbidden Desert is more complicated and damn near impossible - i have never won with family - i did bring it to game group and four seasoned gamers managed to eek out a win but even we decided we got lucky

I cannot more highly recommend Forbidden Island - especially for folks with kids of varying ages - give it to your niece, buy it for your friend's kid - it is always a hit!