GMing Style

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: GMing Style

Post by GODofwar » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Funny how deranged DM minds run in the same...tracks.

I have two Offspring, 3 years apart, and each got his own DF (Dragonfire) group as a "present" in 6th-7th grade. The older group is in its 8th year now. These are labelled 'DF' and 'DFJ' for 'junior'.

Some of the parents were also gamers, and ended up wanting a Senior group, of six, DFS, of course.

At one point I had DFS and DFJ cross paths in a well-known arctic town. It was chaotic and hard to manage, but the players liked it - and as noted above, the actions of the separate groups impact one another. THe older Offspring's group, DF, was not present - but the Arctic town where the mayhem took place was their capitol - they just happened to out trying to kill God at the time the encounter occurred....so they too got fallout.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, Except KS 5
WeaselWarGod

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:53 am

I once played in a Changeling game at a game store that was run by to GM’s with two separate tables and unbeknownst to any of us there was a Countdown clock

Each of the scenarios featured in elevator and at a certain point as the clock went down the stopped the games. whoever was in the elevator they switches the people from one elevator to the other table and from the other elevator to the first table and then the game continued

It was really really amazing because we knew we were working on a timer but we never realize we were gonna be switching tables mid game it was an awesome

The whole thing was amazingly well done. Character sheets were wax sealed with ribbons. As chaRacters died they were given new characters that factored in to the story later.

At the very end the two realities collidedand for the last forty five minutes we all played together

It was magic, done by two fantastic GMs but it was just a really cool dynamic have people switch in the middle of the table. Definitely one of the most incredible one-offs i have ever been involved in
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Alphyns
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphyns » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:08 am

In the Before Time I ran two FASA Star Trek campaigns. In my head they were in the same timeline. Occasionally word of one ship's adventures reached the other. Finally, I decided a cross-over was a good idea. And so, after weeks of setting things up with both groups, at the appointed time everyone showed up.

All fifteen of us.

Never again.

troman

Post by troman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Oh, barfights this is very popular thing here :lol:
I'm fond of this game! This is a big honor to be a part of the best online uk club of this game players

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:59 pm

Too funny Berny

I ran a one off that started with a barfight - the two npc’s fighting were characters frim a previous campaign

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:46 pm

I plan to do something more direct.

In our current campaign (Storm King's Thunder), at the end of the module our characters will have NO HOPE IN HECK of defeating the big bad all by themselves. So I plan to have the current party of 4 meet up with their previous party of 4 (from Out of the Abyss), and the 8 of them together just might be able to pull it off....

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:09 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:53 pm
Once in a campaign i had the party enter a bar only to find a bard singing of one of their adventures from very early in the campaign - it was a super cool nostalgia moment ;)
I can relate to that scenario, it is satisfying indeed. The moment when the characters get to see their actions reflected as permanent changes to the world they inhabit. I had a similar nirvana moment while running several groups through my sandbox... they went their separate ways for a long time, but over the course of the campaign both groups (and a spin-off solo campaign) started coming across changes in the world effected by another group...

That hill giant group A had avoided for so long is now gone, and a sign in front of its lair, placed by group B now deems it safe.

The tavern group B had frequented so often is now under new management, partially owned by group A.

The corrupt mayor of a village, bested and arrested by group A, has been replaced by someone totally inept. When group B happens by again, they scratch their heads at the new management decision.

Etc.

What's just as satisfying though, was the cross-table talk, which I did not discourage... "DO NOT go down that hole in the ground, that's where so-and-so's character was turned into a shadow, and her spirit is still down there!"

Or, "that merchant is actually a doppleganger, so be careful... she has a dire tiger in her basement."

Etc.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:53 pm

That is nine kinds of awesome... but i try to keep my players attention on the game. If i put that on the wall they would all stop listening to me.

Once in a campaign i had the party enter a bar only to find a bard singing of one of their adventures from very early in the campaign - it was a super cool nostalgia moment ;)

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

GMing Style

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:56 pm

I tend to overextend myself sometimes, with preparation, writing session reports and putting together multimedia. At one point I ran a sandbox adventure for multiple parties in a shared-world. It was complicated and tedious at times, but some of the stories and characters that were born there will always be with me. Our session reports are logged on the Obsidian Portal page "Advanced Ultimate Sandbox;" it was a Pathfinder campaign set in an uncharted region of Golarion. I pilfered many sources to build it, and I'd say a paltry 2% of it ever really got explored. The game petered out as life got in the way.

Here's something I created as a kind of backdrop for the players... in Pathfinder it sometimes takes a while between turns, and we had some big groups, so - long combats. I made a Powerpoint presentation of ecclectic nature to run in the background on a wall-mounted TV in my dining room. I converted it to PDF, for web hosting. I thought I'd post it here just for kicks. Has anyone else done something like this? I've pulled snippets from session reports that were shared memories, pics of enemies bested, maps, etc.

http://howigame.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... eens-1.pdf