D&D Icons of the Realms ship

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: D&D Icons of the Realms ship

Post by pacarat » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:06 am

GODofwar wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:30 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:12 am
From an aesthetics point of view Lego just don't cut it.

Don't get us wrong we love Lego and have warren full of the stuff.

But if you don't have the terrain then Lego can create it.

For a RPG where you have Dwarvenite for everything except a ship and you have a lego ship, your either go back to gridded paper or use the Lego ship. We would use the Lego ship :)

BTW the kids do have a very nice Megablocks ship which is a whole less modular than Lego but therefore more Aesthetically pleasing and something we intend to see how good it looks in one of our builds.

Pictures may be forthcoming after that event occurs.
I was being sloppy. Prolly 25% of my fleet is Megablox. Why do you think they are less modular than LEGO, Rabbit?
They have the same sort of basic hull unit and construction. Don't fit as well as Lego, of course.

I must admit, part of my strategy is that the ships get to stay in the library, even though they are gaming materials now, because that is where Margaritaville and the LEGO are stored. Margaritaville is the LEGO town Offspring and I built over the course of their whole lives. Eldest Offspring graduates from college this year, but he and Youngest Offspring still rebelled when Mom wanted to reduce MVille to blocks and store it!

So my fleet remains intact, unbroken and on display.

TLW
Yeah! We still have our custom 3’ x 4’ Lego Port Royal in storage. Raised dock and wharf, fortress on the hill, a dozen multi-story buildings in the white with red brick accents and arched windows. Not enough room at the wharf for our two dozen plus ships though.

I need a second hobby room...yeah, that’s it.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:30 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:12 am

For a RPG where you have Dwarvenite for everything except a ship and you have a lego ship, your either go back to gridded paper or use the Lego ship. We would use the Lego ship :)

BTW the kids do have a very nice Megablocks ship which is a whole less modular than Lego but therefore more Aesthetically pleasing and something we intend to see how good it looks in one of our builds.

I was being sloppy. Prolly 25% of my fleet is Megablox. Why do you think they are less modular than LEGO, Rabbit?
They have the same sort of basic hull unit and construction. Don't fit as well as Lego, of course.

I must admit, part of my strategy is that the ships get to stay in the library, even though they are gaming materials now, because that is where Margaritaville and the LEGO are stored. Margaritaville is the LEGO town Offspring and I built over the course of their whole lives. Eldest Offspring graduates from college this year, but he and Youngest Offspring still rebelled when Mom wanted to reduce MVille to blocks and store it!

So my fleet remains intact, unbroken and on display.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:23 am

Runeweaver wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:10 pm
I can’t get over how many people still use LEGO for gaming while using DF. As much as I appreciate the modularity of it, I don’t see the reasoning behind using it while spending the ridiculous amounts of cash on the aesthetics of DF. If one is going to spend the amount of money that DF requires, then buy a nice ship and ditch the LEGO.

Just my two cents, and I admit they’re snobby. The contrast in systems is simply too jarring for my tastes. To each their own I suppose.

Have you ever actually built and played with your own LEGO ship? Not being snarky, but if an RPG guy builds exactly the ship he wants, it won't look bad at all - in fact they can look quite good, cloth sails and all.

It does require some LEGO background and a sense of what you want it to look like. I agree it does not look like DwF style..but then a ship in the harbor ought not to look like landbound DwF!

Of course its a matter of taste. For me, I'd prefer to save the space for more DwF!!

...but one should not use the LEGO minifigs....ever.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:43 pm

I wonder how long it will take for us to see massive 3d printable mods for this ship? Somebody could start with printed decks to replace the cardboard pieces, that should be simple.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:55 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:46 pm
Dunno if I want to permanently mod my ship but hmmm....
Little bit of Blu Tack to hold the washer when needed; removed between sessions to avoid staining?

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:46 pm

zenako wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:34 pm
As some would say, "that is a brilliant idea". Just do some trial runs to make sure the magnet is strong enough with just steel on the backside. In the DF case a lot of those are magnets on magnets which are much more powerfully attracted.
Well, the decks are just cardboard. I don't think they will be much worse than the DF floor cap piece that uses sheet metal. Not a bad idea. Dunno if I want to permanently mod my ship but hmmm....
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:34 pm

As some would say, "that is a brilliant idea". Just do some trial runs to make sure the magnet is strong enough with just steel on the backside. In the DF case a lot of those are magnets on magnets which are much more powerfully attracted.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:25 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:39 am
I only have a few complaints and they are minor.

The wheel doesn't seem to turn. ☹️

The center deck doesn't come off, and the front and back decks are difficult to take out unless you turn the entire ship upside down. So if you have minis on the ship and someone goes inside a cabin it creates a slight issue.

The doors seem a little fragile.

Other than that, it's pretty darn awesome. I don't know if it's $250 awesome, but it's definitely fun.
wheel not turning indicates how spoiled we are by DF ;)

i am going to glue a couple of small washers underneath the fore and aft castle deck - then i can use the tool from DoD to pull up those floors!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:23 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:13 am
Have to admit that ship looks awesome :)

Trying to figure where we could store such a beast.
i reccommend the display case at your local store ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:12 am

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Return to “Gaming Talk”