Suggestions on where to start (set pieces)?

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Mushu_Green
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Suggestions on where to start (set pieces)?

Post by Mushu_Green » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:18 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:38 pm
If you're still looking, someone just posted some painted sets on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Dwarven-Forg ... Sw8e5a1gyM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Dwarven-Forg ... SwvHRa1gsQ
sigh... they never ship to Canada :/

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:38 pm

If you're still looking, someone just posted some painted sets on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Dwarven-Forg ... Sw8e5a1gyM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Dwarven-Forg ... SwvHRa1gsQ
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:36 pm

WolffsLaw wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:39 pm
As subject says, this will be the first time purchasing sets from DwarvenForge and was wondering what would you recommend starting with? Right now running my friends through Lost Mines of Phandelver but plan to do more of a homebrew setting in the future.
I think that for most campaigns, Dungeons and/or Caverns are going to be the most used. However, Cities may also be depending on your setting.

How much money are you looking to spend? Do you want prepainted or unpainted? While that can be a weird question, it gives us an idea of whether or not you can diversify and still have a little of each thing or if you need to just get a set or two of one type.

While AnimeSensei's advice is good to think about the #6 kickstarter coming in May, in that it will have a good bang for your buck with free shipping, also realize that you are prepaying for a product that you will not have in hand for ONE YEAR. If that works for you, great. If you're wanting to start playing with them prior to June of 2019, you may want to buy at least some stuff now.

I do agree with Kryzsko that you can get a good deal on KS1 and KS2 sets (dungeon tiles and the original caverns). For instance, I have some of both sets (KS1 and KS2, including no longer produced stretch goal sets) available for sale if you want unpainted stuff for prices below what DF charges (most of my stuff, they don't have in stock anyways). Hit me up if you are interested. But my advice above is true regardless of whether or not you are interested in my extra stock. :)

Good luck either way> :)

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:21 am

Also the new Dungeon sets will be hitting the Dwarven Forge store later this summer but at the same time you may be able to get a good deal on older dungeon and cavern sets as people sell them off to get money for the new sets.

If you know what you want you may be able to post on the forums to buy from people directly.

For me it is Dungeons first then Caverns and then everything else. Just because those environments one up most.

WolffsLaw

Post by WolffsLaw » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:29 am

Thanks! I'll be sure to keep an eye on those!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:00 am

First of all, welcome to the forums!

Next, it all depends on what you plan on running in your games the most: Dungeons, Caverns, or City. Focus on what you will USE.

After that, in all truthfulness, I'd look on Craigslist or Ebay and try for a decently sized collection that someone is selling off so you can get quantity of tiles. In the beginning sometimes it's just about having enough pieces before having the right pieces. After you have a base, fill in the holes from the web store.

Lastly, SAVE MONEY FOR THE KICKSTARTER IN JUNE. It will be caverns themed this year. You will get by far the most bang for your buck during the kickstarter and you get free shipping if in the US. It's a big deal as Dwarven Forge is heavy in bulk.

But really, however you do it, choose what's best for you.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

WolffsLaw

Suggestions on where to start (set pieces)?

Post by WolffsLaw » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:39 pm

As subject says, this will be the first time purchasing sets from DwarvenForge and was wondering what would you recommend starting with? Right now running my friends through Lost Mines of Phandelver but plan to do more of a homebrew setting in the future.