Rampage Dungeon Kickstarter

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Rampage Dungeon Kickstarter

Post by zenako » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:24 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:29 am
zenako wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:52 am
Oh and my kid is now in her 20's so I am well past the normal worries about children
Not expecting grandkids anytime soon I take it.
Not on the horizon, but there is still plenty of time...

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:29 am

zenako wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:52 am
Oh and my kid is now in her 20's so I am well past the normal worries about children
Not expecting grandkids anytime soon I take it.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:52 am

ZayrZas wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:12 am
I hope the Dwarven entrance will be unlocked or at least the dwarven chamber. I don't need a lot of regular walls (more then enough DF pieces) but love the crypt and low walls. Right now I am in with Ghoul and a bunch of add-ons to get some pieces of everything.
Sounds pretty much like my backing level so far. Low walls, crypt stuff and ruins are the main interest so far. Enough "stuff" to make an easily moveable "2nd" floor if needed as well. I wonder how the 90 degree curved walls would look by themselves for a roundish tower? and how it would look on some DF tower stacks.

Oh and my kid is now in her 20's so I am well past the normal worries about children, but I clearly had that concern a while ago. She learned some hard boundaries with "daddy's toys" which included a lot of tiny minis and many of them old style "lead" minis. She was real good about that.

ZayrZas
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ZayrZas » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:12 am

ced1106 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:29 am
Eh, I guess ZaysZas only means that you don't want the youngsters chewing on anything painted.
Yup, that's what I tried to say.
ced1106 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:29 am
Rampage shot showing off the much-requested LED skull lights, and other doodads...!
I hope the Dwarven entrance will be unlocked or at least the dwarven chamber. I don't need a lot of regular walls (more then enough DF pieces) but love the crypt and low walls. Right now I am in with Ghoul and a bunch of add-ons to get some pieces of everything.

ced1106
Orc
Orc

Post by ced1106 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:29 am

Eh, I guess ZaysZas only means that you don't want the youngsters chewing on anything painted.

Rampage shot showing off the much-requested LED skull lights, and other doodads...!

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:21 pm

ZayrZas wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:32 pm
zenako wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:13 pm
Which is why really young kids end up with Duplo bricks which are much much larger in size.
Ah yes I had first Duplo and then Lego. But that's what I meant. If the kids are old enough for Lego this should be fine. But even without the choking hazard I am pretty sure that the sometimes tacky DF paint or any other for that matter is not good for really young kids.
Pardon? I have literally thousand of pieces of Dwarvenite and to suggest in any way that Dwarven Forge Dwarvenite is unsuitable for anyone to play and create with is absurd. Did you maybe see them roll over it with a truck and how it bounced back fine? I know there have been some few instances of tacky paint (I have never encountered it) but why would you hand your kid anything without first inspecting it? IF you do get some tacky paint, then put it aside to dry for a week.

Dwarventie is great stuff to let the youngins build with. I have serious doubts *locking pieces* with small fiddly bits are ;)

ZayrZas
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ZayrZas » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:32 pm

zenako wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:13 pm
Which is why really young kids end up with Duplo bricks which are much much larger in size.
Ah yes I had first Duplo and then Lego. But that's what I meant. If the kids are old enough for Lego this should be fine. But even without the choking hazard I am pretty sure that the sometimes tacky DF paint or any other for that matter is not good for really young kids.

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:21 pm

zenako wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:44 pm
period3 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:23 pm
Does anyone have experience with openlock? I'm wondering how amenable this is to building with children...

I haven't bought into any dungeon system yet, mostly because I don't have an immediate gaming need for it, but that's one thing I'd be looking for. The clips make it a bit more fiddly for kids, but on the other hand magnets aren't ideal either. Just wondering how a five or six year old would handle it. (I have an infant and a young toddler, and don't have much experience with kids >2)
My concerns with these parts and small children are multiple. The locking clips are tiny and meant to be inserted AND removed so those small fiddly bits are clearly a swallowing hazard and the whole system will really not work without the clips (unless you permanently glue them together. I also suspect that the plastic it will be cast from is no where near as indestructible as dwarvenite is. Heck you could fire most dwarvenite parts at a concrete wall and not break them. This appears to be a more brittle plastic and when stuff like that breaks, it often has multiple small fragments to worry about. That being said, if the "dungeon toys" were only to be used when a parent was around, then it would work. Unsupervised, probably not.
I concur with Zenako. Why would you get these for children, when DF pieces are much less fiddly, nigh unbreakable, and easy to arrange however they want?
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:13 pm

ZayrZas
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ZayrZas » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:51 pm

Well I guess this does not have more small fiddly bits than lego.