Some Painted Minis

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Some Painted Minis

Post by MrMorden » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:57 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:15 am

Thanks for the advice MrM - definitely helped us - even if we still prefer a quick dirty wash ;) but only on terrain or our scummy Death Guard
Washes work great on terrain!

In fact, I'm revisiting washes, since I've been following Kenny Boucher. That Lizard I just posted has a wash over the whole thing, with a good amount of "post process" glazing to clean it up. I think a lot of washing well is in the technique. Putting a gloss varnish on before washing breaks up the surface tension and helps it flow, as does using additives like Army Painter Wash Mixing Medium and Vallejo Flow Improver.

Washes work very well as an intermediate step in the painting process, but rarely work well as the last step. ;)

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:15 am

MrMorden wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:20 pm
Clarification: I said "it's not a competition" referring to us vs. other painters, not "you'll never win a competition!".

I have seen competition winners not as nice as your work.
Its no good backtracking now, we know exactly what you meant!!!!!!

;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

whoo .... needed that :)

We are cool with either definition ;)
We are happy with our painting .... mostly.... rushing some poxwalkers through at the moment for the weekend that are looking a little ropey, but that's probably ok for poxwalkers :)

We wont field unpainted minis, for us a big part of tabletop gaming is the aesthetics, it has to look the part (at least from 2 feet ;))

Thanks for the advice MrM - definitely helped us - even if we still prefer a quick dirty wash ;) but only on terrain or our scummy Death Guard
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:20 pm

Clarification: I said "it's not a competition" referring to us vs. other painters, not "you'll never win a competition!".

I have seen competition winners not as nice as your work.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:54 pm

MrMorden wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:22 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:11 am
Very nice paint job MrM :)

Like the eyes a lot.

I've seen your painting Burner, it's good stuff. It's definitely not a competition, it's all about enjoying the hobby to whatever extent our time and inclination allows. I'm sure we'd all be award-winning painters if we had 80 hours a week to devote to it!

You dead right never going to win competitions and honestly all we are looking for is Tabletop standard as we have a mountain of unpainted minis to get through, though hoping we can get a little better than that.

Already been taking your advice and watching (& Subscribed) Kenny Boucher airbrushing videos though his style/voice is a little grating but it doe not disguise his talent - he did a fabulous short Tactica video which opened our eyes :shock:

Recommend TableTop Minions you tube channel, Uncle Atom knows his onions and has the voice for it, and you can listen too at work as the visuals are often unnecessary, though his focus is on mostly wargaming. His sometime cohort Sam Lenz sure can paint and does nice tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2CKTY ... 3AHvyCgtbQ
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:27 am

Lots of good ideas in that post and a few familiar names on the youtube listings.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 am

Since somebody mentioned tutorials..

A while back, somebody asked me in a private message how to get started painting. Below is a reprint of what I wrote back, with some updates:

Question: How do you get started?

The answer is twofold:

1) Paint minis!

2) Watch a LOT of YouTube and Twitch.

The first part seems obvious, but it's really important that you paint a LOT of minis, even if they aren't very good. You need to develop the muscle memory of how you hold and control the brush, and use various angle to reach weird spots on a mini.

You need a lot of experience working with paint and getting it to the right consistency. That is probably the biggest tip for beginners: ALL PAINT NEEDS THINNING (usually with water). If you put paint straight on a mini, It will blob up and show brush strokes. Thin paint flows well and gives better control.

Get a bunch of cheap minis (at least ten, people are better than monsters at this point), and shoot them with primer. Then start painting. They will suck. It will be annoying. Don't get discouraged, and keep painting. After each one, look at it and see where it fails in *one* aspect. Try to improve that one thing on the next one. And keep doing that. You will get better.

Second is YouTube. The painting videos available are phenomenal. I would start with Vince Venturella's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/PhatWOP001/videos

I have learned more from Vince than probably anybody. He has a whole lot of videos on a lot of topics, some of them very technical. He also has plenty of beginner-level videos on topics like edge highlighting. Vince runs a Google+ group called PMP (Painters Motivating Painters) where you can post pictures of your work and get feedback from professionals on how to improve. They are very kind and they will never tell you you suck, only what might night be working on your minis. It's a private group, but if you go to Google+ and search for PMP you will find it and can request membership.

Another great resource is Kenny Boucher, who has both a YouTube presence and a Twitch Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTfnfI ... xvQ/videos

https://www.twitch.tv/next_level_painting/videos

Kenny is a colorful character and is actually very fun to listen to. If you want to learn how to master the airbrush, or the *right* way to wash minis, he is your man. His YouTube videos tend to be concise and short, while his Twitch streams are 3+ hours long and you can watch his techniques in detail and he explains everything he's doing. Full disclosure, I'm a Patreon patron of Kenny's and do some private lessons with him.

There are *many* other Twitch Channels out there for painters, and I have just started to scratch the surface on that platform. I can certainly recommend award-winning Sam Lenz's channel:

https://www.twitch.tv/samsonarts/videos

Also...
Some other YouTube channels I follow:

Miniac:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrTkWZ ... knoQeVkH1g

Kujo Painting:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyMPU9 ... kD8NZQu1tA

Victor Ques:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCclSAa ... wWFOelz3ow

Dr. Faust's Painting Clinic:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePaintingClinic/featured

Ghool's Painting:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwfL3s ... c4wAWOOdiA

All of the above will show you minis that make mine look like refried dogshit. That's okay, every painter is somewhere on the skills scale, and we all can improve. Every painter *does* improve...IF they keep working at it.

Some tips:

1) Don't use craft store paints. Get some real miniature paints. They are not that expensive, and the smoothness and quality of the pigments is much higher. For years I used the $200 full set of Vallejo Game Color paints, and still do sometimes. Their intro set is only about $43 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Game-Color-Intro ... game+color

You can mix those paints to make any color you will need.

2) Get at least one good brush. It's fine to use synthetic brushes from Miachael's or Hobby Lobby, especially when you are starting. Once you are sure you like the hobby and want to continue, get a real Sable Brush, at least for the detail painting. Windsor & Newton Series 7 sizes 0-2 (NOT the miniature brushes) and Raphael 8404 sizes 0-2 are good choices. The point of a brush is far more important that the size. A size 2 with a sharp tip will do better detail work than a size 0 with a tip not as sharp.

3) Use distilled water! I used to have trouble with blending, and all my washes had ugly tide marks that no technique changes seemed to cure. I started using distilled water to thin my paints and clean my brushes, and that all went away. Minerals and other particles in the water can cause these issues. Every tap is different, but it's cheap and easy to just avoid the problem.

4) As mentioned, thin your paints. Thin more than you think they need. It's better to put on multiple smooth, thin layers to get color coverage than one thick layer that looks lumpy and has brushstrokes.

4a) Let your paint layers dry. If you try to put a new layer over a still slightly wet layer, you will roll the older paint layer and create a mess of semi-stripped paint. Most layers only take 30-60sec to dry. You can use a hair dryer on low to blow a layer dry more quickly.

5) Don't go crazy with washes. Lots of painters like washes because they are easy to shade with. But they are indiscriminate, and dull the colors. Washes have their place, but learn other techniques too. Look at the Kenku I posted in this thread. Many people would wash over those feathers for shading. Instead I started dark and highlighted up with thin layers on each feather. It's subtle, but gives a cleaner effect.

6) If you want to learn one technique to get good at, learn to glaze. Glazing is using very thin layers of paint (the paint is thinned to the point of being essentially colored water) in multiple passes as a filter to alter a color or build up color. With glazing you can achieve almost any effect in miniature painting. It's not the fastest technique because of the multiple passes required, but it produces some of the best effects. I'd say after I get a base coat on a miniature, 75% of what I do after that is glazing.

If you have specific questions, or need more direction, feel free to ask me!

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:24 am

BTW, looking back on the thread I realized I missed some posts by Oldent and his Dwarven mine. Great stuff, I love the glowing ore carts!

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:22 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:11 am
Very nice paint job MrM :)

Like the eyes a lot.

Been painting various projects so far this year including an old FW Imperial Fortress, a GW Castle. reinforcements for my Death Guard army, a bunch of Ork vehicles and some Emperors Spears Space Marines

William we hear you and felt the same, but if your happy with them, then don't be shy, its not a competition (although it can feel that way).
Ours are not approaching MrM's but we like how they are turning out, and most forums are helpful with simple tricks and tips that can help your mini painting.
Thanks. The eyes were pretty easy on that model, because they are so large. Plus lizards have slit eyes which are easier than dot eyes!

I've seen your painting Burner, it's good stuff. It's definitely not a competition, it's all about enjoying the hobby to whatever extent our time and inclination allows. I'm sure we'd all be award-winning painters if we had 80 hours a week to devote to it!

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 am

thebigteacher wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:04 pm
So very inspiring. Alas, so much to paint and more emerging every day from my printer.
I know how that is. I'm still dialing in my printer to get the quality I want, but I already have a bin of things to paint from it. I find the printer is "okay" for minis, but great for terrain pieces, where the layer lines are not as annoying.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:23 am

William wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:38 pm
P.S. - You're mini painting has shamed me into never posting any of my painted minis.
and by the way, no amount of practice would help, old eyes and shaky hands.
Great job. ;)
Never feel that way! Painting is a road, and everybody is on a different point on the road. I love looking at other painters' work, even if they don't think it's good. I don't think mine are very good either, that's the nature of comparing to others. Try not to compare yourself to others and just enjoy the process of painting cool little goblins and such!

I'm 52 years old, with aging eyes and hands as well. I wear a magnifier *and* reading glasses when I paint (magnifier blows up the image, glasses shorten the focal length so I can get closer in). My hands aren't as steady as they once were, so I find ways to brace them when painting. When I make a tutorial I will try to cover all this stuff.

Here is a mini I painted in the 90s...I thought it was great at the time. No shading, no highlights, bare primer in areas, no basing at all. But I'm not embarrassed by him, That's just where I was at the time:

I am just coming back into painting after a decade of painting nothing. I came back into it hard and fast, and my progress has been pretty fast. It's all about time and repetition, and learning from the people who have "been there and done that". There was no YouTube or Twitch in the 1990s, but now there is and you can learn a TON from watching others paint. Just accept that your first 25, 50, or 100 minis will likely be less than you want them to be. But that 101st mini might make you think "damn, that looks pretty good!" and that is a very satisfying experience.

Return to “Gaming Talk”