Questions about D&D collectibles

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Questions about D&D collectibles

Post by jasdotcom » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:18 pm

zenako wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:09 pm
You have been getting some prices on those modules. More money for DF I guess....
Right?!? I'm pretty blown away by the interest in these items! So much that now I'm second guessing the wisdom of parting with them but it's too late now I guess

Though the money will come in handy for paying for my Erinthor Mountain set due to arrive :)

zenako
Goblin
Goblin

Post by zenako » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:09 pm

You have been getting some prices on those modules. More money for DF I guess....

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:24 pm

The bulk of my treasures have been listed on eBay, for anyone interested

https://www.ebay.com/sch/jasdotcom253/m ... 7675.l2562

zenako
Goblin
Goblin

Post by zenako » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Yup, the acaeum site is a very nice and useful resource, been involved with them in a small way for a long time. (Sent them info on a few obscure modules a while back.) Just from looking at what you have in the photo, most of those were fairly widely distributed in mass market stores (like Kaybee Toys where they were picked up from it looks like). As such those are not super rare or valuable, but for a collector, being in good condition shrink wrap is probably the most valuable thing for there market value at this point.

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:07 am
https://www.acaeum.com/index.html

I would check the forums here. These folks know all about this kind of stuff.
That site is awesome! So much in-depth knowledge there...I spent five hours just poking around!

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:07 am

https://www.acaeum.com/index.html

I would check the forums here. These folks know all about this kind of stuff.

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:14 pm

At this point, I think it would be too risky to ship these items to and from Gary Con and then worry about their care all weekend. For anyone interested, I've submitted two of the Companion modules (Where Chaos Reigns & The Endless Stair) for auction on eBay.

If they sell I'll list the rest :)

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:50 am

jasdotcom wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:29 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:51 pm
As much as some of us here despise FB, this seems to me like a question for a larger audience, as many of the people answering might be the type of people you'd sell it to.

Our common thread here is DF, not specifically modules. Posing a question on a RPG sales/discussion group would I feel get you a more concise response and maybe even valuations.
Good point. I've posted this to a FB group and am now just waiting for the trolling to start :roll:
Vegomatic wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 pm
Depends on the collector as to which is more valuable.
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 am
As a collector of books with author and artist signatures, its important to get the signature on the item - not on cellophane or dust covers.
Harneloot wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:24 am
From my purely subjective experience (though I DO buy a lot of old D&D stuff on ebay) factory sealed/shrink wrapped always go for more than not. I am not sure opening them and getting them signed would increase their value (and might just decrease it) but it sure would be a cool experience!
Thanks for your input, everyone. The post I placed in a Facebook group actually garnered a lot of interest and even a reply from Frank Mentzer --
"Completist game collectors often prefer minty-clean pieces, while players/users want them more for their words & art. Author sigs can increase value, but author fame & rarity of sig both contribute. Contemporary authors (eg jWick) sign a lot of stuff. Gary's sig is obviously rarer and limited."

The consensus is that if it's in shrink - leave it in shrink. If the shrink has been removed and you want an autograph, have the signatory sign near their name inside the book (not on the cover or inside cover) and document the event as best you can to help with the provenance of the autograph. But all-in-all, most autographs do not increase the value of an item unless the person is wildly popular, dead, or both.

I've decided it's too much hassle to care for these items for the whole trip to GaryCon so I'll be putting them up on ebay sans autograph. I'd love for these bits of D&D history to find their way into the hands of a serious collector :)

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:24 am

From my purely subjective experience (though I DO buy a lot of old D&D stuff on ebay) factory sealed/shrink wrapped always go for more than not. I am not sure opening them and getting them signed would increase their value (and might just decrease it) but it sure would be a cool experience!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 am

As a collector of books with author and artist signatures, its important to get the signature on the item - not on cellophane or dust covers.

I have sold a few on Ebay and signatures help - not had any questions on what evidence that the signature is genuine.

In fact apart from a picture of the signatory signing it (assuming the buyer recognises that person as the signatory) there is very little conclusive evidence you can give.

But a picture on a smartphone is a quick way to get some form of evidence even if its just for yourself :)
I am the Game and I want to Play