KS - Wightwood Abbey printable medieval monestary

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Re: KS - Wightwood Abbey printable medieval monestary

Post by GardenDM » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:39 pm

ForestZ wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:50 pm
I'm fortunate that I work from home and my printer is in my office, so nearly all of my prints are supervised. I've not run one overnight, but I have left some for a few hours when I go out, or even running when I go to bed when I know they'll be finished in < 1 hour.

Pretty much everything I've printed out has been for gaming, and so far I've been pretty happy with it, even if I haven't 100% gotten it tuned in yet. In fact, there are some stone walls printing on mine as I type that I may use in a game tomorrow!
Yeah, that's close to my approach. I'm fine with leaving it with no one home for short stints or longer stints unsupervised as long as someone is home, but the noise (and risk) stops me from running overnight or while we're away all day.

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:37 pm

oddbender wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:52 pm
GardenDM wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am
I struggle with ones like this and Printable Scenery stuff because their print times are sooooo long for reasonably high quality prints. I don't like to leave prints completely unsupervised, so that means I can print some of their stuff on the weekend and others not at all (b/c I won't print overnight).
That is a BIG limitation. I personally have multiple printers running almost 24/7 and that allows for a great deal of production. I have multiple prints run overnight, start some before I leave for work, sometimes I go home at lunch time to start more prints, I'll print more after work, and then start again before I go to bed. I can say that I've done hundreds, more likely thousands of prints. And I've done single prints as long as 40 hours or more. My family and friends sometimes make comments, but oh well. I enjoy my "print lab" and get immeasurable value from it.

I know some people won't leave the house with appliances running (i.e. washer, dryer, dishwasher). Is this like that? I'm curious what your concern is running your 3d printer unattended.
Yes, but moreseo. Many home appliances are a mostly "solved" industry, designed by capable engineers to incorporate high quality and safety standards. I'm fine if our washer, dryer, furnace, etc. are running while we're out.

Hobby-level 3D printers are more likely to have electrical design flaws (underspec-ed parts, poor circuit design, etc.) or even intentional trade-offs that sacrifice safety for another factor (usually cost). Plus, they're closer in my mind to work tools and I wouldn't leave my table saw running while I stepped out.

The other issue is that it's noisy and my family doesn't like it if I leave it running overnight since we don't have great sound isolation.

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:52 pm

GardenDM wrote:
I struggle with ones like this and Printable Scenery stuff because their print times are sooooo long for reasonably high quality prints. I don't like to leave prints completely unsupervised, so that means I can print some of their stuff on the weekend and others not at all (b/c I won't print overnight).
That is a BIG limitation. I personally have multiple printers running almost 24/7 and that allows for a great deal of production. I have multiple prints run overnight, start some before I leave for work, sometimes I go home at lunch time to start more prints, I'll print more after work, and then start again before I go to bed. I can say that I've done hundreds, more likely thousands of prints. And I've done single prints as long as 40 hours or more. My family and friends sometimes make comments, but oh well. I enjoy my "print lab" and get immeasurable value from it.

I know some people won't leave the house with appliances running (i.e. washer, dryer, dishwasher). Is this like that? I'm curious what your concern is running your 3d printer unattended.

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:50 pm

I'm fortunate that I work from home and my printer is in my office, so nearly all of my prints are supervised. I've not run one overnight, but I have left some for a few hours when I go out, or even running when I go to bed when I know they'll be finished in < 1 hour.

Pretty much everything I've printed out has been for gaming, and so far I've been pretty happy with it, even if I haven't 100% gotten it tuned in yet. In fact, there are some stone walls printing on mine as I type that I may use in a game tomorrow!

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:54 pm

I have the MonoPrice Ultimate (which is a re-badge of the Duplicator 6, which is a knock-off hybrid stemming from the Ultimaker - strange world this is).

It's been reliable out of the box, although I am on my second one - the first one had what I think are bearing issues early on and I sent it back. The print quality is great for FFF/FDM and the print times, etc. are as expected.

I've enjoyed it as a hobby, printing out fun experiments from Thingiverse and the occasional tabletop gaming related doodad from various Kickstarters and sites. It's good for printing out stuff that isn't available elsewhere, but the quality and speed make it ill-suited for me for significant amounts of terrain pieces.

It's been a good learner machine and I know more about what I want if I buy/build another FFF machine someday (rails instead of rods, swap-able glass beds, higher end hot end, etc).

I'm hoping the industry keeps advancing and my next printer brings the best parts of FFF, SLA, and other print technologies to provide reasonable print times (1-2 hours for something that takes 10 now), high quality (SLA-level+), and improved reliability (maintenance parts are a simple swap or tweak, like on a laser printer). One can dream, right? :)

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:44 pm

GardenDM wrote:
What printer do you have Garden? and how do you like it?
I am the Game and I want to Play

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:52 am

ForestZ wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:46 pm
I really have too many things to print, and honestly don't know where I'm going to use this (or store it!) but damnit, it's just so beautiful and such a good value I had to back.

we are in the same boat - still staying strong but can feel the weakness seeping through......
I am the Game and I want to Play

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:50 pm

ForestZ wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:46 pm
I really have too many things to print, and honestly don't know where I'm going to use this (or store it!) but damnit, it's just so beautiful and such a good value I had to back.
Just print them and send a few hundred miles north for use and storage... ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:46 pm