Fantasy Facades

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Fantasy Facades

Post by ForestZ » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:24 pm

oddbender wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:20 pm
I am a big fan/user of facades with my DF as the centerpiece. The facades give the sense that the scene is bigger, without a need for a huge layout that isn't really necessary all the time.

I use 3D printed modular pieces from this kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... ile_backed

I don't build entire buildings. I just use 2x4" floors with various walls, even sidewalls to give depth, and one, two, or three stories tall, with forward or sideways half-roof. Everything that is continuous gets clipped together for stability. And then just lay them around the perimeter of my DF buildings.

A complaint I've heard here is that 3D printed isn't as "nice" as DF, and that's fair. But the façade doesn't have to be since it's only the border of the area I'm using. Think of it like less detailed costumes for background characters in a movie.

Honestly, if DF made more 2x4 floors, and 2x2 walls, I'd try using them for facades. I suspect the roofs would be the limiting factor.
I've been looking for an excuse to pick up some of those buildings and this may just be the nudge I needed, haha. Good idea!

oddbender
Orc
Orc

Post by oddbender » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:20 pm

I am a big fan/user of facades with my DF as the centerpiece. The facades give the sense that the scene is bigger, without a need for a huge layout that isn't really necessary all the time.

I use 3D printed modular pieces from this kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... ile_backed

I don't build entire buildings. I just use 2x4" floors with various walls, even sidewalls to give depth, and one, two, or three stories tall, with forward or sideways half-roof. Everything that is continuous gets clipped together for stability. And then just lay them around the perimeter of my DF buildings.

A complaint I've heard here is that 3D printed isn't as "nice" as DF, and that's fair. But the façade doesn't have to be since it's only the border of the area I'm using. Think of it like less detailed costumes for background characters in a movie.

Honestly, if DF made more 2x4 floors, and 2x2 walls, I'd try using them for facades. I suspect the roofs would be the limiting factor.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Yeah, this one is a pass for me. I have lots of MBA buildings to use if I just need to see the Outside of places - plus that last KS with the painted fantasy buildings with unusable interiors that just ended. (which makes me pine, yet again, for DF to do their old Midieval Building line in Dwarvenite!)

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:15 pm

szabbran wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:01 pm
I'm probably going to sit on it for a bit... I'm having a hard time envisioning how the style would blend into my DF builds, but am certainly considering it. Someone please convince me not to pull the trigger!
I personally think it all looks to old west to go with DF.

szabbran
Orc
Orc

Post by szabbran » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:01 pm

I really like this concept... one thing I always deal with with my outdoor builds (cities and soon to be forests) is how to create an "end point" for the build that doesn't detract from the immersion. That's one of the reasons I'm so excited for escarpments and forest banks in Dreadhollow, because they give me options to more organically place boundaries on builds.

Right now, I don't feel like I have that with cities. I run out of street tiles (or, more realistically, the right kind of street tile for the layout), and things just drop off onto tablespace. This shouldn't bother me, but it drives me nuts :oops:

I did purchase a bunch of passages/wall foundations that I can stick ramparts on top of for a low city wall, and I often use some mountain pieces to help block the edges of my city builds, but something like this really appeals to me.

I'm probably going to sit on it for a bit... I'm having a hard time envisioning how the style would blend into my DF builds, but am certainly considering it. Someone please convince me not to pull the trigger!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:14 pm

Paying shipping when shipping starts also scares me to death, and I usually avoid those kickstarters.

I like to know all the costs up front.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:30 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:04 pm
The boat, dock, well, and fences interest me, but it seems that they calculate shipping per item and having shipping roughly equal to each item's price for ancillary items makes this pledge difficult for me.
Same here (or worse for me since I am international).

For example, I like the Notice Board.
Nice, just 4$.
Plus 10$ for shipping?
It actually costs nearly 4 times the shown price, which really changes the math completely.

I asked about this, because I hoped I had got it wrong, and the shipping would be kind of "incremental" with a base starting cost, and then a small addition for additional items...
They do say this is the case, but no real figures are offered, so I am hesitant to pledge, since once I have done it, then I will just have to accept the shipping, whatever I am asked.

Also, as of now, there is not "addons only" pledge, you need to get a base pledge to add other things... Even if, they said in the comments that if there is interest, they are willing to add an "addons" pledge level, where you pledge like 75$ and then decide in the pledge manager what you want to get.

All in all, I do like some of the items, but I am afraid that the shipping will be more than the pledge itself, and at that price I can find equivalents from EU stores easily, shipping tomorrow...
Edit: I add that getting these from Canada would also incur VAT and customs expenses on top of that, so the deal (for my situation) doesn't seem great.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:04 pm

The boat, dock, well, and fences interest me, but it seems that they calculate shipping per item and having shipping roughly equal to each item's price for ancillary items makes this pledge difficult for me.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:05 am

This is one I was following on KS, but have not backed it yet. Some of the add-ons are more interesting to me than the facades themselves.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:21 pm

I like this concept a lot, I just don't like the actual look of the facades in execution, alas. But I'd love to see what DF did with something similar...