Dungeon of the Mad Mage miniatures

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Dungeon of the Mad Mage miniatures

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:05 am

unclebilly wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:40 pm
Yea the Pathfinder miniatures do have a better paint job. The only think I can think of is they are willing to take a less profit on the miniatures they sell by getting a better grade paint job on them . Where the D&D ones say the hell with that slap some paint on it as fast and cheap as you can so we can make more money off each one.
Both are made by Wizkids and they are the ones who make the loins share of the profit as far as I know.

My guess is that when Paizo started their relationship with Wizkids they built a very strong quality control relationship after the first few sets and once WoTC decided to get back into minis after 4e killed their line, and chose to do it threw Wizkids they never built the same relationship.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:40 pm

Audles wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:56 pm
This is a pretty nice set. Looking forward to it. The minis from the blind boxes are looking good too. May end up getting a couple bricks this time around.

The upcoming Last Wall set from Pathfinder is also looking pretty good. They usually have better paint jobs too, for whatever reason.
Yea the Pathfinder miniatures do have a better paint job. The only think I can think of is they are willing to take a less profit on the miniatures they sell by getting a better grade paint job on them . Where the D&D ones say the hell with that slap some paint on it as fast and cheap as you can so we can make more money off each one.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:56 pm

This is a pretty nice set. Looking forward to it. The minis from the blind boxes are looking good too. May end up getting a couple bricks this time around.

The upcoming Last Wall set from Pathfinder is also looking pretty good. They usually have better paint jobs too, for whatever reason.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:07 pm

I'm hoping they hit ebay for ~$35.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:02 pm

I wonder if Nolzur's will release an unpainted version like they did for Ezmerelda's wagon. These look really great, but not sure I can justify $50 on them.

NiandoBG
Orc
Orc

Post by NiandoBG » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:57 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:51 pm

Most of these kinds of miniatures have OK paint jobs. The thing for me is that most miniatures unless it is a player character will spend very little time on the table. So to me they are not worth the effort of buying and spending a lot of time painting them other than quick paint jobs. Spending time on a player character miniature is fine as they do spend a lot of time on the table. Also as long as they look ok from a arm's length away that is also fine.
I agree, at least for small minis.
A boss monster has earned a decent paint job ;)
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:55 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 pm
Where do you have it on preorder? Anyone found a good price?
One of the cheaper places that I have found for it so far. If anyone finds it cheaper please post it here. $49.97

https://www.gamenerdz.com/dungeons-drag ... e-preorder

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:51 pm

NiandoBG wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm
Thanks for the YouTube link.

I try to like the minis, but it’s really difficult. :( :(
My mini painting skills a really low but still I have the feeling that the paint job shown in the video is very rough and basic.
IMO some are even really ugly (eg. Minotaur Skeleton).

With this quality from Wizkids the DF Miniature Kickstarter will be a home run :D

PS:
I bought a brick for Tomb of Annihilation and I’m satisfied with the models and painting.
Maybe I’m biased...
Most of these kinds of miniatures have OK paint jobs. The thing for me is that most miniatures unless it is a player character will spend very little time on the table. So to me they are not worth the effort of buying and spending a lot of time painting them other than quick paint jobs. Spending time on a player character miniature is fine as they do spend a lot of time on the table. Also as long as they look ok from a arm's length away that is also fine.

NiandoBG
Orc
Orc

Post by NiandoBG » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks for the YouTube link.

I try to like the minis, but it’s really difficult. :( :(
My mini painting skills a really low but still I have the feeling that the paint job shown in the video is very rough and basic.
IMO some are even really ugly (eg. Minotaur Skeleton).

With this quality from Wizkids the DF Miniature Kickstarter will be a home run :D

PS:
I bought a brick for Tomb of Annihilation and I’m satisfied with the models and painting.
Maybe I’m biased...
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 pm

Where do you have it on preorder? Anyone found a good price?
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Return to “Non-Gaming Talk”