WT????

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: WT????

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:51 pm

We would say good luck to them, but we would not mean it.

But we wish them no ill will, their pounds/dollars helped fund CD and unlock SGs so they can do what they like with it and we are OK with this situation.

Buying out limited editions quickly so they can resell at an increased markup gets us a little upset though.

Was at book convention and just ahead of me in the queue was a known ebay hawker who bought up a large number of limited prints from a graphic novel (about half) - they were limited to one!

That evening they were up on Ebay at 500% of purchase price!

Managed to get a print but not the one we were really after, saw that one on ebay!!! ggrrrrrrrrr
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:03 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:45 pm
kitenerd wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:10 pm
It is also really helpful to be able to rationalize your overspending as "an investment"

"Have you seen what these are going for on the secondary market??? Anytime i want i could get rid of my entire collection for nearly twice what i paid for it!"

Logical fallacies here are:
a) I never sell anything
b) it is not quite so simple to sell everything for a profit (shipping costs, eBay fees, possible returns/breakage, etc.)

but never underestimate the importance of rationalization...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqc1_v2Nj70
As someone who buys collections, let me just say: YES.

Ebay fees are 10%. Paypal is 4% If the buyer is international, there's an exchange rate fee. Shipping costs are high because DF stuff is HEAVY. People want to negotiate a discount too (which I would too, if I were buying a bunch of stuff). Insurance is about 3-5%. Typically the cost of selling is 25%-ish. So if you are ever planning on selling, know you are working for FREE for the first 1/4 of the money you bring in.

It's funny, as sometimes when someone wants to sell me their entire collection and I give them an offer they think I'm lowballing, when in all actuality my time spent will net me less than minimum wage... Usually the people I buy from have already tried selling a few things on their own and decide the effort, time, and risk just isn't worth the money so they bulk it out.

But I love it. I meet a lot of cool people and it's a win/win for all parties. :D
For sure I have bought a LOT (and sold a few) things on EBAY. Was recently dealing with my mom's action figure collection and dealt with a local shop. I checked out SOLD/Completed prices on EBAY and indicated to the shop that my selling line was 25-30% of those prices depending on how much they would take. That would leave them a decent margin and even if some of the product sat, they should easily cover their outlay. Win-win. I did not have the inclination or contacts to sell hundreds of figures and playsets while they did. I believe he had already lined up enough buyers to cover his outlay to me before the sale, so it was a low risk buy for him. So we filled up his minivan with product and now I have more money for DF stuff... :D

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:23 pm

We appreciate what you do Zach...

By parting out collections, many of us get access to pieces or sets that we might not otherwise - i know i have added greatly to my collection by purchasing through you

But i know it is real easy to look and say "Wow, they sold that for $200 and i know it only cost them $125" it is never that simple, but it makes an easy dialogue. As far as the speculators go, lets not forget, they invested a chunk of money that they did not have access to for a year and a half... they have a right to make a return on that investment. It is like the folks that sell individual pieces... if they can GET those prices for individual pieces (and want to bother with the hassle), i say good for them.

* All of us agree that only a scumbag buys out retail inventory to sell it at a 300% markup
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:45 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:10 pm
It is also really helpful to be able to rationalize your overspending as "an investment"

"Have you seen what these are going for on the secondary market??? Anytime i want i could get rid of my entire collection for nearly twice what i paid for it!"

a) I never sell anything
b) it is not quite so simple to sell everything for a profit (shipping costs, eBay fees, possible returns/breakage, etc.)

As someone who buys collections, let me just say: YES.

Ebay fees are 10%. Paypal is 4% If the buyer is international, there's an exchange rate fee. Shipping costs are high because DF stuff is HEAVY. People want to negotiate a discount too (which I would too, if I were buying a bunch of stuff). Insurance is about 3-5%. Typically the cost of selling is 25%-ish. So if you are ever planning on selling, know you are working for FREE for the first 1/4 of the money you bring in.

It's funny, as sometimes when someone wants to sell me their entire collection and I give them an offer they think I'm lowballing, when in all actuality my time spent will net me less than minimum wage... Usually the people I buy from have already tried selling a few things on their own and decide the effort, time, and risk just isn't worth the money so they bulk it out.

But I love it. I meet a lot of cool people and it's a win/win for all parties. :D
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:10 pm

a) I never sell anything

"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:11 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:46 pm
I just hope no one on eBay see these and is turned off on Dwarven Forge before they have a chance to know the truth.

I hate to think we might lose a new DF fan due to sleazy pricing.
It obviously doesn't help their reputation of being expensive, that's for sure. But much of that stems from them being a small company that can't afford to take big inventory risks. Because they can't afford to order and stock everything all of the time, prices shoot up on ebay for an already expensive product. And when that happens, owners cash out, people looking for a profit buy collections to resell, and some people turn to stripping the store to exacerbate inventory issues and create their own scarcity market. (And in all honesty, the first two are 100% ok in my book, while the last one is a jerk move)

This wouldn't be an issue if DF was a larger company with a dedicated factory, but they are not, and it's just how it is at the present moment. It's why many of us feel the need to buy as much as you can (that you will use obviously) during the kickstarters, because if you don't, you run the risk of dealing with the inventory issue.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:46 pm

I just hope no one on eBay see these and is turned off on Dwarven Forge before they have a chance to know the truth.

I hate to think we might lose a new DF fan due to sleazy pricing.

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:34 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:23 am
Personally, I have no problem with it. I've been there at the last 10% of fulfillment before and watched sets hit eBay before I got my stuff. It sucks. But ordering extra to try to make back some of your pledge dollars is fine with me. I only object to buying out the webstore to resell. You essentially can't buy out the entire KS. Everyone else still has the same chance at getting their product so no one is being screwed over.

I understand the frustration, but they're not really hurting anyone with this. It's not like when all of the old resin stuff hit the webstore and was bought out in 10 min. 🤷‍♂️
Fully agree on this.
When the offer is unlimited, I see nothing bad buying and reselling at whatever price you like.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:17 pm

I am all for people buying as much as they can during the KS for personal use or for resale. The more that sales the mores stretch goals get unlocked. I just posted this to show how inflated someone has the prices marked and like I said I hope no one buy this thinking they will not get stocked.

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:46 pm

JalanDa wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:38 pm
its almost as bad as the person who buys during the restock then marks it up 200% and says rare oop df

bunch of scumbags
Meh. Disagreed. You had the same chance during the KS to buy what you wanted. Nothing wrong with KS reslistings IMO.

Return to “Non-Gaming Talk”