"Thanks" for the Postcard Jeff!

Ghenghis Ska
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Ghenghis Ska » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:19 pm

Wait until you guys get your "Men of Dwarven Forge Calendars" in the mail at Christmas!

I'm afraid, very afraid.....

admin
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by admin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:10 pm

Wait until you guys get your "Men of Dwarven Forge Calendars" in the mail at Christmas!

Yukon Cornelius
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Yukon Cornelius » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:01 pm

I really enjoyed getting the card as well. Had I not already placed my preorder, it would have been a nice reminder for me to do so.

Then again, I don't work in an Orwell novel. Rabidfox, I feel doubleplusungood for your predicament. Perhaps you should re-route your DF mailings to a non Miniluv address.

drahga
Kobold
Kobold

Post by drahga » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:52 am

Yes, thank you for the card! I can take this with me and show people DF items while out and about. I don't need to have a PC and go to the website. I would like to have more to show around.

I could never work at a place that needs to monitor my "apparent" personality, if I can't be me, then good bye. That's all I've got.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:44 am

From what has been said here (and in some other posts), it seems that RF* has a high-level security clearance AND works in/from a secure facility (on or off a military base).

The clearance basically allows the granting agency access to his mail. And his phone records, and his internet activities, and his finances. And a say in his social and romantic interactions. And the ability to restrict his travel outside the US. Working at a secure facility (or even a regular office, these days) gives his employer access to at least his mail, phone, and internet in the workplace. Having a security clearance is a privilege, not a right, and involves considerable sacrifice of personal liberties.

I don't get mailings from DF (bought mine a few years ago at my FLGS, back when I had money), but it sounds like a postcard advertising the upcoming Den of Evil expansion. Postcards are not sealed, so any artwork is in public view -- every postal worker and mail clerk between DF and RF*'s mailbox saw it without violating a single law. And in a secure facility, where a large number of people carry clearances, people in the mailroom almost certainly have instructions to report any "unusual or suspicious" mail. The phrase "Den of Evil", with accompanying pictures, almost certainly triggered alarms. (And I suspect that any DF boxes that are delivered would be subject to chemical sensors and x-ray examination -- if they don't like the results, they WILL open the box and inspect everything in it.)

RF* gave Dwarven Forge an address to send materials to, and they did. That the address was one where people would be examining his mail is HIS responsibility, and no one else's. And he knew full well that DF makes products other than the Sci-Fi line, including the popular set with the spooky name. I suggest switching to a P.O.Box or some other "rented" address that will accept packages -- but be sure to notify the security officer of the address!
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

admin
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by admin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:25 am

If anyone wants their name removed from our mailing list, please email me (jeff(at)dwarvenforge.com) and I will remove you.

We are going to continue to use these postcards for the forseeable future, so please let me know if it somehow offends you. Or...you could look at it as free artwork for your game room.

Sadyan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Sadyan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:56 am

"EVEN if they ARE a Federal agency, it still goes."

That is not entirely true, as it does not apply to *ALL* government agencies. For instance, it is common knowledge that the armed forces can legaly intercept/censor any mail to or from soldiers durring time of war.

-Sadyan

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jkratzer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:29 am

RF* -

I do believe you need to tell Secretary Chertoff that you really AREN'T a terr-type person.
Well, okay, maybe not Mikey boy; but SOMEONE inside the Beltway has serious problem's with personal leisure time and what we do with it.

This time, I gotta come down on DF's side; yes, I got the card, too; NO, I didn't want it, but mass-mailing companies do NOT differentiate between targets. Once a customer/client gives the mailer a list, that mailer will blitz EVERYONE, and only a VERY cooperative postal carrier can help you. This our wonderful US Postal Circus, and our beautiful Madison Avenue-ruled economy, are to blame on this one.

However, I DO agree that DF didn't need to waste the money on the mailer, in the first place. The cards went to current and previous DF customers, and WE already knew about the deal! If we are going to buy the set, we already know about it, and either our order is in, or we're waiting for the paycheck.

Jeff, you KNOW how often I defend DF, here and elsewhere; but, sorry, this time, I think you blew it.

RF*, it is incumbent on YOU to let DF know about special difficulties with your mail receipt; it is also incumbent upon YOU to gently, politely, but firmly tell your employer (in such a way that they REMAIN your employer, if you so choose) that the U.S. Postal Service is 'keep your fingers OUT!' unless they have a FEDERAL COURT ORDER to intercept/edit/censor/OPEN your mail. To do otherwise is a FEDERAL FELONY, punishable up to 5 years and $50K. EVEN if they ARE a Federal agency, it still goes. The ONLY thing they can legally do to you is inform you that you may no longer receive personal mail at your work address, on pain of termination of employment. That, they have a prefect legal right to do.

Hope I didn't hurt your wrist with that slap, but truth is as truth tells itself. Sorry, guy.

See ya!

Jim

Kradlo
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kradlo » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:26 am

As for "I just don't understand why the Dwarven Forge WEB page is not enough for this one-on-one advertising," not every customer regularly checks the web page or the forum. Dwarven Forge has run some special deals that were available for a limited time, and some people only found out about it too late to take advantage of it.

Dwarven Forge is a company that produces a product for a targeted market - us. That they take such pains to communicate their new products and special offers is to their credit. The fliers were printed on quality cardstock, and it is only my current financial restrictions that has stopped me from taking full advantage of the pre-order special for DOE Wicked Additions.

Even in the Bible belt, receiving a flier from a manufacturer of game terrain shouldn't provoke a psych evaluation, nor merit the kind of intense scrutiny that you've received. I don't want to make any accusations or assumptions, but perhaps you should be asking yourself what else has been happening to warrant that kind of concern from your employers. Your employers may have been interpreting comments or perceived attitude in a way that has them concerned.

Wargames and roleplaying games may be a bit nerdy, but they're not cause for alarm.
Make Mine Master Maze!

David Wasilewski
Orc
Orc

Post by David Wasilewski » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:53 am

Good God! Your Psych eval/profile is "at odds" with receiving a promo card from a toy company?
I'm a psychologist - I would like to know what profile they are using?

Can you 'appeal' (sounds like the sort of line of work you're in doesn't have a union?)
Good luck, anyway.

Dave

Return to “Non-Gaming Talk”