The Wood Whisperer is taking on Geek Chic!

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: The Wood Whisperer is taking on Geek Chic!

Post by biowizard » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:39 pm

Welcome to the DF forum fellow-canadian canuckotter,

Nowadays, I am making myself a gaming coffee table using super-high quality Cherry wood. I'll make sure to post pictures once it is made.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:29 pm

All streets are on a 4"x4" square. Should be easy to figure out dimensions; if all else fails, there are VERY few 1" squares lately with DF. Keep your inside area divisible by 2 and you'll be good as most pieces are on a 2"x2" grid.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

canuckotter
Kobold
Kobold

Post by canuckotter » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:05 am

My wife quite likes her dining room table and doesn't want to give it up, but she asked if we could adjust the plans to make it a coffee table... :) So I guess I have my fall project lined up!

Might be fun to have a little group of us on here comparing notes, if other people feel like building along too. :) It generally takes him a couple months to wrap up each Guild project, and the instruction is very accessible for folks (like me!) with little woodworking experience. There are typically a bunch of Guild members building along with him on each project (that's part of why he spaces things out the way he does) so it's certainly doable... :)

I might have to beg Stefan for some measurements on the city pieces before I start building my table though. In addition to modifying it to serve as a coffee table, I'm planning on tweaking the plans to store as much of my KS3 loot as I can manage. :)

JasonYoung
Orc
Orc

Post by JasonYoung » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:44 am

Welcome to the forums. =)

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:12 am

Welcome to both the forums and the addiction! I've recently begun considering building a table since I have the tools between myself and my brother-in-law. I would rather pay someone else, but as I've bemoaned elsewhere my poor gaming budget can't keep up. I'll have to check his stuff out. I've dabbled and made some neat stuff, but it has all been small potatoes, a table of this sort would certainly be a steep learning curve!

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:01 pm

Very nice. Good first post.

In my experience though a dedicated gaming table is just that, dedicated. It doesn't function overly well as a dining table. Sure it can be used as such, I mean you can take a couple of saw horses, throw plywood over the top and it will serve the same purpose, but of course something is lost. I've seen a few companies attempt to cross between a gaming table and a dining/coffee table, and with some levels of success. However, if you are going to go to all the effort to get a gaming table, I would suggest just that. Get a gaming table.

Space is usually the largest concern though, and thus I understand the need for a hybrid.

dafrca
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dafrca » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:53 pm

I think it would be fun to see what he comes up with. Thanks for the heads up. :mrgreen:

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:27 pm

Thank you and welcome to the Addiction!
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:07 pm

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the link! I've recently begun drawing up some basic builds to get me started with some more serious woodworking, and my father-in-law sent me an early b-day present of some very nice chisels... it turns out that building a gaming table is something I'm trying to work toward so this is perfectly timely.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

dandare
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dandare » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:35 pm

Just what every DF user/collector needs - a sturdy, well proportioned table.
Excellent first post and welcome!

Return to “Non-Gaming Talk”