Gen Con 2018

Fu-Man Chu
Orc
Orc

Re: Gen Con 2018

Post by Fu-Man Chu » Thu May 24, 2018 4:06 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:23 pm
Any forumites/Valorians hosting any games before or during the con? I know Stefan has his, but what about us rabble? :P
I haven't planned out my Wed schedule yet. Will let all know if I do...

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed May 23, 2018 3:23 pm

Any forumites/Valorians hosting any games before or during the con? I know Stefan has his, but what about us rabble? :P
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed May 23, 2018 7:19 am

Fu-Man Chu wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:40 am
GenCon is a blast - so much fun to do there. I would also highly recommend doing at least one True Dungeon run - they are fantastic! The Rising LARP is also great fun - whacking zombies with foam weapons... It's my annual time to exercise.

There's also a lot of gaming already going on Wed if you want to get a head start playing. Usually a full three sessions of Pathfinder Society. And at the minimum, there's usually people running all sorts of pick up games -short card games to long RPG sessions throughout the various hotel lobbies and hallways.
Agreed - the Con really starts Wednesday night now. Pick-up games everywhere, in every Hotel lobby and dining area. See if you can find a game of Twilight Imperium someone is starting around 5pm and maybe you will be done and in bed by 2 am :lol:

I believe some *gaming groups* host wednesday night events too. Kentucky Fried Gamers being one group I can think of off the top of my head:

http://kentuckyfriedgamers.com/

Fu-Man Chu
Orc
Orc

Post by Fu-Man Chu » Wed May 23, 2018 12:40 am

GenCon is a blast - so much fun to do there. I would also highly recommend doing at least one True Dungeon run - they are fantastic! The Rising LARP is also great fun - whacking zombies with foam weapons... It's my annual time to exercise.

There's also a lot of gaming already going on Wed if you want to get a head start playing. Usually a full three sessions of Pathfinder Society. And at the minimum, there's usually people running all sorts of pick up games -short card games to long RPG sessions throughout the various hotel lobbies and hallways.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue May 08, 2018 6:55 pm

There is a IndyCar race at the infield track this weekend, so the Brickyard may be a good time too. F1:geek:

P.S. - I'm there with you an the non-alcoholic drink thing.
Although when I used to go out, I did have fun watching the idiot drunks. So easy to screw with them. :twisted:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue May 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Ok I'm flying in around 3:30 on Wednesday; what is something fun to do in Indy the night before the con if you're not someone who drinks?

Indianapolis Speedway? To a city tour bus? Watch TV in the hotel?

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon May 07, 2018 8:18 pm

I'm not a drinker, so you can have mine. :)

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon May 07, 2018 5:14 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe VIG is done by lottery for new spots with VIG from the prior year getting first dibs earlier on. I've thought about trying for it, but I've either wanted the funds for other things or forgotten to apply for the lottery.

If you like beer there will likely be a beer garden area put on by Sunking Brewery. They have made a limited edition Gen Con brew the last few years and will likely do so again. If you like Scottish ales I highly recommend trying their Weemac.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon May 07, 2018 8:45 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 5:41 pm
Any events I should make sure I attend? I know about the DF forum lunch on Saturday.
I can't say enough good things about NASCRAG. Great bunch of zany people that put on an incredible D&D tournament going on 30 years now. Sign up for the first round then you can decide about later rounds if you make it. Lots of really great Role-playing and puzzle solving and very light on the Roll Playing. Intense fun!

There is never enough time for the Dealer Hall.

I have really enjoyed Hickman's Killer breakfast several times - not sure if he is still doing it or not.

It may be too late for this, but I have gone VIG the last few times I went (which is 6 years ago now) I felt that it was worth every penny.

Wear very comfortable shoes, pack a long sleeve shirt in your gaming bag (sometimes the AC is much stronger than anticipated) and be prepared for very little sleep :D

Have a great time AS!!!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon May 07, 2018 2:14 am

Thank you for the tips! I'll be flying in.