Thoughts on a gaming table

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Re: Thoughts on a gaming table

Post by nielsene » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:58 am

Yup, I'm constantly shuffling things around to make more space even in a large space.

Started off with enough built-in shelving for my large fantasy/science fiction library, all my collected RPG books, a board game collection (~70ish), plus all my Dwarven Forge Master Maze in map drawers, and well painted minis in a display case.

Now I'm exiling the books to a different room to use those shelves for pre-painted (Paizo/WotC) minis and non-master maze DF. (Until Castle/CBS I mainly used resin, and left the Dwarvenite in the boxes aside from bringing to game sessions outside my house). There's a large closet (maybe about 5' x 5') that is currently full of boxes, (still packed up from a move ~4 years ago) of old warhammer stuff or laser cut terrain, and reaper bones....

I'm hoping to clean the closet out, move the board games there (when my BoxThrone arrives) and convert more of the shelving to DF storage. But there are times that just the prospect of re-organizing is daunting.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:24 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:44 am
zenako wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 am
Just thought I'd give a quick peek at the gaming room/table I have. I was going thru some pictures and noticed this one that was shot shortly after a play session (note all the DM notes and minis on the far side) earlier this month. I had resumed painting a bunch of Reaper bones stuff that I had been ignoring for a while, but that I could see wanting this fall. The table is 5'x10' in size (4 x (2.5'x5' office tables on clearance from the company warehouse!).

Unlike certain bunnies, we do like to have lots of room around the table for folks and to walk.
Game Table.jpg
If its one thing we get jealous of our US cousins is the space you lot seem to have in your houses, probably not in NYC, but US shows very often show large houses with large rooms.

And yeah your Dwarvenite shipping fees - quite jealous of those too.
One challenge is when you have more space, there is a distinct tendency to keep filling it up :) which then means you might "need" more space. I have realized that I do need to be thoughtful about all my KS6 selections with an eye to where I am going to store it and all that going forward. Got more storage on the way (should be arriving today) for some of the special subsets of KS5 (Jade and Burrows) and for the SW mines, and for a large bunch of Resin Ships I have in the large DF storage cabinet that are being evicted! What you do not see to the right of the picture are 4 - 5 drawer file cabinets with stuff stored on top almost to the ceiling and then some multiple sets of plastic shelves filled with shoebox plastic boxes with LOTs of prepainted D&D minis. Working on clearing out the old Model railroad stuff I brought from my folks home years ago and finally decided I am never going to really get back into that hobby again.

My gaming groups have had up to 8-9 folks at a time during some years(we had some where the dads and their kids were in the same group - the kids grew up - went to college and stopped playing with us older folks). Recently only 5 or 6 peer age players. So I needed to have a good amount of room for everyone to sit around the table and not knock elbows.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:44 am

zenako wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 am
Just thought I'd give a quick peek at the gaming room/table I have. I was going thru some pictures and noticed this one that was shot shortly after a play session (note all the DM notes and minis on the far side) earlier this month. I had resumed painting a bunch of Reaper bones stuff that I had been ignoring for a while, but that I could see wanting this fall. The table is 5'x10' in size (4 x (2.5'x5' office tables on clearance from the company warehouse!).

Unlike certain bunnies, we do like to have lots of room around the table for folks and to walk.
Game Table.jpg
If its one thing we get jealous of our US cousins is the space you lot seem to have in your houses, probably not in NYC, but US shows very often show large houses with large rooms.

And yeah your Dwarvenite shipping fees - quite jealous of those too.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

HammeredDan

Post by HammeredDan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:55 pm

Feel free to reach out, yes I do build game tables but I have also built about 14 or 15 prototype tables and tested them with gamers of all shapes and sizes so I have a good understanding of what to do and what not to do I would enjoy chatting about your final design or maybe help you get to a final design.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 am

Game Table.jpg
Game Table
Game Table.jpg (69.62 KiB) Viewed 789 times

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:12 pm

William wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:23 am
Sure hope you don't live in an earthquake zone. It all looks a bit top heavy from that angle...
"Oh NO, it's starting to fall. Everyone, hands above your head." :lol:
No earthquakes in the UK worth mentioning and Dave the Dalek keeps intruders out.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:52 am

D4EEE604-48B1-448B-B21B-53EFB74849F9.jpeg
D4EEE604-48B1-448B-B21B-53EFB74849F9.jpeg (109.65 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Arcarius2001 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 am
Dolken wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:29 pm
This table will be used in a gaming / craft room. Right now I am using a 4 foot by 8 foot table with a 30 inch by 60 inch raised by 7 inch table on top of the 4'x8' table. Which has been great. But have found that because sometimes we don't finished the build dungeon (almost every time ... lol) the dungeon sits built for two weeks keeping me from painting or creating. So i figured the dungeon can sit in the pit and I can put the top on and play other board games and paint ...
This is my situation as well. I have a 8’x4’ table. It’s a big slab of white laminate I put folding table legs on. To make it look better and spill proof it, I layed vinyl faux wood flooring over it. Then I put some trim around the edges and stained that. To resolve the “unfinished game” issue, I am going to make a 3’x6’ frame to set on the table and make tops for that. My only decision now is how tall to make that frame. I am thinking that 4 1/2” is good as it allows a depth of two DF pieces atop each other and a closed “table” top over them. I am going to add some under table slide out drink holders too. I think that will fit my needs.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 am

Dolken wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:29 pm
This table will be used in a gaming / craft room. Right now I am using a 4 foot by 8 foot table with a 30 inch by 60 inch raised by 7 inch table on top of the 4'x8' table. Which has been great. But have found that because sometimes we don't finished the build dungeon (almost every time ... lol) the dungeon sits built for two weeks keeping me from painting or creating. So i figured the dungeon can sit in the pit and I can put the top on and play other board games and paint ...
This is my situation as well. I have a 8’x4’ table. It’s a big slab of white laminate I put folding table legs on. To make it look better and spill proof it, I layed vinyl faux wood flooring over it. Then I put some trim around the edges and stained that. To resolve the “unfinished game” issue, I am going to make a 3’x6’ frame to set on the table and make tops for that. My only decision now is how tall to make that frame. I am thinking that 4 1/2” is good as it allows a depth of two DF pieces atop each other and a closed “table” top over them. I am going to add some under table slide out drink holders too. I think that will fit my needs.
Last edited by Arcarius2001 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:23 am

Sure hope you don't live in an earthquake zone. It all looks a bit top heavy from that angle...
"Oh NO, it's starting to fall. Everyone, hands above your head." :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:50 am

You got far too room around your table Oldent.

Its like you don't want to bang your knees or stub your paws like we do in the warren.

If there is one thing you seem to have in the US that gets us a little jelly - is you seem to have more space in your homes (maybe not so much in the Metropolitan areas).
Ours in the UK do seem like pokey Hobbit holes in comparison.

Had to convert the garage to get the gaming table - the wife's idea (bless her - one of the better decisions), but it is still 'cosy'. The table itself is three small desks giving a total gaming area of 7x4 feet. Can fit a narrow stool to save my back when playing.