HeroQuest Maps done in Dwarven Forge

mcdrunk
Kobold
Kobold

Re:HeroQuest Maps done in Dwarven Forge

Post by mcdrunk » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Very cool. I'm going to have to look at the Advance Heroquest maps to see if they're convertible to DF now.

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:14 am

I play heroquest with old sets for a long time.
Something very complicated if you are a "purist" and want to match to the original maps.

The problem is that many minis of this game (I have all 6 expansions) cannot enter in some of the squares.

First it's the case for all the narrow passage set pieces.
The gargoyle, the chaos warriors, the fimirs etc can't be placed between those walls.
So you need to re-consider the question of the narrow passage sets ... on double passage unfortunately ...
There are no narrow KS pieces so it's a good thing.
In fact 3cm² for each square will solve the problem but DF is 2,5cm² so ...

Secondly as you see on your map, you can't respect the old boardgame (4x5 square, 3x4 etc) exactly as it was since DF KS pieces don't allow you to do this. The good news is that you will have bigger rooms to place furnitures & minis. More things to give a greater life to the explored rooms & passages.

Since the half squares at the bottom of the walls are impossible to use, you can place the furniture (shelves, weapon rack etc). It's the best way to use this half space.

You will encounter another problem with the doors which are using 2 squares for the base (narrow or not) but you can fix it by modfying the map a little bit.

Closing the edge of the board is not a good idea.
You should try to make the map differently with opened corridor all around.
It's more "immersive" for the player who can see their heroes running on the edge. (remember the 3D iso video game ?)

The only thing I hope is that one day DF will make single squares tile.
Not only 2x2 square floor tile or 2x1 square very rare fllor tile to get.

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Crimson_King_of_the_Tower » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:35 pm

np and thankd for the wonderful idea i think from now on when i go back and play heroquest with friends im going to use my gametiles instead of the board lol

Sydcomebak
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Sydcomebak » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks, Crimson King. I have been watching the set counts as I build and taking note. It looks like the counts include the freebies included with the stretch goals.

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Crimson_King_of_the_Tower » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:28 pm

welcome to the forums and as soon as i heard about the mapmaker tool my immediate thought went to heroquest as well lol and as far as knowing how many sets youll need if you make it on the map maker i BELIEVE the numbers under the pieces you use will tell you how many sets it takes to make what youve done so far and good going on the maps

Sydcomebak
Goblin
Goblin

HeroQuest Maps done in Dwarven Forge

Post by Sydcomebak » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:42 pm

I am looking into the Kickstarter campaign, but I'd like to know how many sets I'd need to buy for the types of games I like to play. My first thought was back to the old HeroQuest game of the early 90s...

So far it looks like 9 sets are needed to make HeroQuest maps. I suspect that it could take a lot less if there were corridor pieces to pick from.

Full board (no doors) ~13 sets

Original Game Quests:
- 01: The Trial
- 02: The Rescue of Sir Ragnar
- 03: Lair of the Orc Warlord
- 04: Prince Magnus' Gold
- 05: Melar's Maze
- 06: Legacy of the Orc Warlord
- 07: The Lost Wizard
- 08: The Fire Mage
- 09: Race Against Time
- 10: Castle of Mystery