Kickstarter Game Tiles Map Maker is Coming Soon!

Oldmanwillow
Orc
Orc

Re:Kickstarter Game Tiles Map Maker is Coming Soon!

Post by Oldmanwillow » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:40 am

I did not try it until to day because it did not include the old resin tiles.
I am hooked!

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/mapmaker/sh ... 41e5c935dd

I will make do thanks!

Maimonides_vii
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Maimonides_vii » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:45 am

crioux wrote:

If the map maker does NOT include all the previous sets, it will be a nice noveltie, but not very useful.

Well, they did say if we hit $1 million the software will get a significant upgrade, and even if it doesn't, they will try to slowly improve it to include previous sets. Eventually, it will get there.

More importantly, even if you wouldn't find it useful with just Game Tiles pieces, you have to keep in mind that many of the people on the Kickstarter are not previous Dwarven Forge customers. The main goal of this Kickstarter is to get new fans and customers, and they are really succeeding at that. That's the reason they are doing the Game Tile pieces first, and I'm sure that tons of people will find a lot of use for it beyond just a "novelty."

crioux
Orc
Orc

Post by crioux » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:21 am

If the map maker does NOT include all the previous sets, it will be a nice noveltie, but not very useful.

TurnStyleGames

Post by TurnStyleGames » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:22 am

Long time DF owner here. Great little planner, though I'd absolutely LOVE to see it expanded to the full line of DF pieces from the older sets.

It would be ideal as a GM to be able to create a map of a layout, and use it during the game (not only for planning purposes, but while running a mission/game).

I'm tooling around on the mapmaker at work. Looks good. With a few tweaks I'd even pay for a "full" version. Allow you to build a "cabinet" where you could tell the mapmaker what pieces you own...so it would keep track of your stuff virtually.

Really a lot of potential here. Would easily pay $15-20 if it was fully fleshed out. Good stuff.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:21 pm

For those of you wondering where you can access the map maker online tool: http://dwarvenforge.com/mapmaker/

Maimonides_vii
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Maimonides_vii » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:57 am

For those who didn't see, we just hit $700,000. While Jeff is working on the Kickstarter update, he gave us a link to this fantastic video of the Map Maker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBrYzlTT ... e=youtu.be

CraftyShafty
Orc
Orc

Post by CraftyShafty » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:12 pm

callahan09 wrote:

Hi,

I'm a supporter on the KickStarter and very excited for what the new series of game tiles will offer in the future!

I just wanted to give some of my thoughts on the map maker program you've proposed...

It's a great tool, but I hope it has some features that will make it even better:

- As you're designing the dungeon, it will display a report of how many of each piece you have used and the tabletop footprint required to be able to support the model.

- Input a collection of pieces that you own so that you can limit your designs easily to what you can actually build, having a sort of toolbox of your tiles that you own and you know exactly when you've run out and can no longer use a particular piece.

/agree

Those features are really prerequisites for this to be genuinely useful. It's fun to throw tiles around on the screen for a bit, but actually worthwhile as a planning tool if it (a) knows what pieces I have to work with, (b) tracks them as I place them, and (c) notifies me when I exceed my actual collection.

Besides, the latter just tells me I need to order more pieces. ;)

shoesan1
Orc
Orc

Post by shoesan1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:19 pm

I have tried several times to get the software guys I know to work on something like this. But since they are not RPG gamers, they never wanted to do it. I am very excited about this.

It should double as an "inventory", so you tell it what pieces you have and it keeps track of them as you use them in a set up. You should be able to enter by the piece, and by the Set ID (to add all the pieces of a particular set at one time).

This was a very unexpected stretch goal... and probably the best one they could have given us. I am so stoked about it!

Thank you Jeff and Stefan!!!
Shoe

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:29 pm

If it is an online tool, it should not matter. Unless for some odd reason it uses Flashplayer, then it wouldn't work on iPad.

I am very excited about getting this tool. Even in primitive form it is very useful. Adding the above excellent suggestions will make it amazing.

monkplayer
Ogre
Ogre

Post by monkplayer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:49 am

Another question for you all. Will the Map Maker (you may also want to post the answer on KS) work on Macs?
"Keep the Dice Rollin"