Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:43 am
I absolutely love (and own) this way of doing it:
https://www.miniworlds-store.com/oldmines.html

Check
Old Mines: Railroads Tunnels

And
Old Mines: Railroads

Superb imho.
Hafta ask...do these match DwF tile footprints exactly, ie, can we mix and match?

PS - yes, I did read the site, but '2" ' does not necessarily mean complete compatability, as Scalegate shows!

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Re: Awesome Burrows and or niche terrain

Post by marcoreds » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:43 am

I absolutely love (and own) this way of doing it:
https://www.miniworlds-store.com/oldmines.html

Check
Old Mines: Railroads Tunnels

And
Old Mines: Railroads

Superb imho.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:16 am

Kryzsko wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:07 pm
I like the low profile tracks like in the Disney Snow White cartoon with push carts, walls with timbers, and walls with gems in them.
I like Snow White and the seven Gnomes. I mean they are so much more like Gnomes than Dwarves IMO, and that mine has to be the work of a Gnomeish Deity, with all those precut gems.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:07 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:48 am
jgt4242 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:54 am
A mine for caverns would be really cool, but I would actually prefer a simple set of mine cart, rails, switch that you can use on any tiles of your choice. I know some already exist, but I want mine in Dwarvenite lol.
The important thing IMO for a DF mine rail system is for it not to look like real world steam age train railing.

I want it to look more primitive.

Perhaps just ruts in the stone floor if attached to the tile, perhaps all wooden if separate pieces.

Or if it is high in metal content somehow make it not look like it is from an electric train set.
I like that idea of a mine better but I think a lot of people picture mines with tracks. Honestly, I like the low profile tracks like in the Disney Snow White cartoon with push carts, walls with timbers, and walls with gems in them. I don’t want a big roller coaster mine like in Temple if Doom. Although some wooden scaffolding and elevated walkways like in Temple of Doom would be cool.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:48 am

jgt4242 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:54 am
A mine for caverns would be really cool, but I would actually prefer a simple set of mine cart, rails, switch that you can use on any tiles of your choice. I know some already exist, but I want mine in Dwarvenite lol.
The important thing IMO for a DF mine rail system is for it not to look like real world steam age train railing.

I want it to look more primitive.

Perhaps just ruts in the stone floor if attached to the tile, perhaps all wooden if separate pieces.

Or if it is high in metal content somehow make it not look like it is from an electric train set.

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Post by jgt4242 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:54 am

Kryzsko wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:56 am
jgt4242 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:34 am
Well I think they could do simply do outdoors ground with 8x8 dwarvenite tiles sculpted to look like those terrain, end of the day. They surely could do it with some imagination. They could easily put hole in them to have plugs, like the Burrows have, to insert water hole, flower patch, bushes, trees, etc. In fact if they don't do it in the next year or two I will probably buy lot of 8x8 unpainted mountain tiles and it myself...but I'd prefer for them to create those since I'm no good at customising.

Elf/Fay village would be really cool, especially in trees. I would KILL for dwarvenite trees. Are remake of th eresin Catacombs, but in Dwarvenite would be really, really cool too I think. I didn't like the Snake Shrine of last year much actually. It look really cool, but I don't like LED much actually I find LED to be a one trick pony feature. I see them one time and I'm like HAAAAAAA WOW and then it fade. Since the Snake Shrine is pretty costly, surely in part because of that, I'm not buying.
I do like your idea of using the burrow cutouts for outdoor areas. It is more the plains (mostly flat tall grass), and deserts (big barren rolling dunes). A rolling desert seems hard to replicate in Dwarvenite and likewise for open grassy plains. That does not mean it could not be done by people with more imagination than me. I guess if they did a desert more like Arizona/Nevada (less like Africa) with cacti and sandstone rock formations.

I love LEDs. Sure they fade into the background after a while but that could be said for any piece of decor. I like how DF is doing them so that you can swap them out. I love snakes and I love Yuan-ti/snake men and it works well for any evil cult. I don't need a lot of it and would not want to make a whole snake-themed dungeon but I see it being very useful (snake men, lizard men, dragon cult, and group prone to sacrifice). I get why some people don't care for LEDs as they can be a little fiddly. Not sure I need LEDs in Caverns for KS6 but maybe they will surprise me. I guess if they are doing a mine (I am sure they are) and maybe some glowing crystals.

To me LED fade into the background way more than any piece of decor actually. One year and a half after buying my first set I still LOVE my Dwarven Forge. I just don't get LED I think honestly...maybe I'm strange lol. The Shrine of Sysuul look really, really great, but building a simple chamber for double the price of the Dungeon of Doom starter set to me is a big, big turn off. I would actually buy one full set of the snake theme dungeon encounter if it was not for the price and the LED actually...it does look awesome.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:56 am

jgt4242 wrote:
Well I think they could do simply do outdoors ground with 8x8 dwarvenite tiles sculpted to look like those terrain, end of the day. They surely could do it with some imagination. They could easily put hole in them to have plugs, like the Burrows have, to insert water hole, flower patch, bushes, trees, etc. In fact if they don't do it in the next year or two I will probably buy lot of 8x8 unpainted mountain tiles and it myself...but I'd prefer for them to create those since I'm no good at customising.

Elf/Fay village would be really cool, especially in trees. I would KILL for dwarvenite trees. Are remake of th eresin Catacombs, but in Dwarvenite would be really, really cool too I think. I didn't like the Snake Shrine of last year much actually. It look really cool, but I don't like LED much actually I find LED to be a one trick pony feature. I see them one time and I'm like HAAAAAAA WOW and then it fade. Since the Snake Shrine is pretty costly, surely in part because of that, I'm not buying.
I do like your idea of using the burrow cutouts for outdoor areas. It is more the plains (mostly flat tall grass), and deserts (big barren rolling dunes). A rolling desert seems hard to replicate in Dwarvenite and likewise for open grassy plains. That does not mean it could not be done by people with more imagination than me. I guess if they did a desert more like Arizona/Nevada (less like Africa) with cacti and sandstone rock formations.

I love LEDs. Sure they fade into the background after a while but that could be said for any piece of decor. I like how DF is doing them so that you can swap them out. I love snakes and I love Yuan-ti/snake men and it works well for any evil cult. I don't need a lot of it and would not want to make a whole snake-themed dungeon but I see it being very useful (snake men, lizard men, dragon cult, and group prone to sacrifice). I get why some people don't care for LEDs as they can be a little fiddly. Not sure I need LEDs in Caverns for KS6 but maybe they will surprise me. I guess if they are doing a mine (I am sure they are) and maybe some glowing crystals.

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Post by jgt4242 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:15 pm

Kryzsko wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:26 am
jgt4242 wrote:
Kryzsko wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:34 am
I love the Burrows. At this point all I mostly care about is niche stuff. I don’t need more “bread & butter”. I have the one set from the DoD coming but home to pick up a couple more sets at some point. Just keep in mind that they can make cool forest/jungle paths as well. I also love the floor inserts.

All I want from KS6 is unique stuff. I don’t need 2x2 floors and straight walls.

I want a water set with larger pieces more like the resin set, cool modular elevated stone walkways, large winding passages (KS2 passages are too narrow), and some large volcanoes and lava flows like the resin sets. I want more 4x4 pieces in general. I hope there are some surprising unique sets in KS6.
I mostly want niche stuff too, but still can't care less for the Burrows, no interest at all for me.
I want 8x8 Dwarvenite Plains, Forest, Snowy Terrain and Desert.
That is interesting, I have a hard time visualizing Plains, snow, and deserts done in Dwarvenite. It seems more efficient to do those environments with play mats. It almost seems like those three would be the same just painted different colors. How do you make a subtle grid on them? I don’t know how you make those visually insteresing without using something like static grass, or flocking. I can better see how you could do jungles or forests although those would be tricky in their own way. Don’t get me wrong, I would like to see what DF came up with it is just that I can’t visualize those terrain types in Dwarvenite looking much better than a good play mat.

For me rather than big open areas I would rather have: wood elf/Fay village, Catacombs, other small themed dungeons (like last years snake Shrine), and more stuff to fill out our cities.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Kryzsko wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:26 am
jgt4242 wrote:
Kryzsko wrote:
I love the Burrows. At this point all I mostly care about is niche stuff. I don’t need more “bread & butter”. I have the one set from the DoD coming but home to pick up a couple more sets at some point. Just keep in mind that they can make cool forest/jungle paths as well. I also love the floor inserts.

All I want from KS6 is unique stuff. I don’t need 2x2 floors and straight walls.

I want a water set with larger pieces more like the resin set, cool modular elevated stone walkways, large winding passages (KS2 passages are too narrow), and some large volcanoes and lava flows like the resin sets. I want more 4x4 pieces in general. I hope there are some surprising unique sets in KS6.
I mostly want niche stuff too, but still can't care less for the Burrows, no interest at all for me.
That is interesting, I have a hard time visualizing Plains, snow, and deserts done in Dwarvenite. It seems more efficient to do those environments with play mats. It almost seems like those three would be the same just painted different colors. How do you make a subtle grid on them? I don’t know how you make those visually insteresing without using something like static grass, or flocking. I can better see how you could do jungles or forests although those would be tricky in their own way. Don’t get me wrong, I would like to see what DF came up with it is just that I can’t visualize those terrain types in Dwarvenite looking much better than a good play mat.

For me rather than big open areas I would rather have: wood elf/Fay village, Catacombs, other small themed dungeons (like last years snake Shrine), and more stuff to fill out our cities.
Concur in detail. Plus add lots of fiddly bitz to make previous KS more flexible and maek usa able to make each set more unique.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, Except KS5
WeaselWarGod

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:26 am

jgt4242 wrote:
Kryzsko wrote: