Realm of the Ancients in Dwarvenite?

What style would you want a Dwarvenite version of RotA to be made in?

City Builder System
21%
Dungeon style like KS1 & KS5
79%

Total votes: 33

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Realm of the Ancients in Dwarvenite?

Post by kitenerd » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:37 am

I would never propose to eliminate CBS in my opinion it is awesome exterior terrain and very cool for the fight that moves from out to in and back

I want MBS for the secret door in the library that leads to the dungron corridor. Or the tavern with the secret smugglers cove in caverns ( i’m looking at you Feymous!)

For my gaming i would use MBS more thsn CBS but i want them both
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:18 am

We don't use the internals much in our CBS builds and had some issues with splayed posts but a little twisting and mixing and matching walls we get more than acceptable results.

Understand that the internals can look poorer due to the posts, but find Castle roof platforms work well to support large multiple floors. Can see that MBS gives better aesthetics to internal builds for single floors.

Would not want to see MBS replace CBS, would prefer more aesthetic posts and precise wall lengths. Apart from the posts hurting our paws we find it works really well, nice and compact and sturdy.
Doubt very much our Castle keep could have been built with MBS or KSV style walls.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8676
I am the Game and I want to Play

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:35 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:04 pm
I would totally back mbs in dwarvenite
I support everything being made in Dwarvenite, and as such would buy a couple sets of MBS in Dwarvenite.

Most of my tavern builds take advantage of the multi-level building capabilities of CBS. I like the idea of a big open tavern with second level rooms partial open to the tavern. CBS allows me to have vertical builds that are all together but multiple level and useful for exterior use also. I have seen a build like this with MBS but the support material made it less visually pleasing and took away the ability to game around the exterior.

But Dwarvenite MBS would have a place in my game.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Kryzsko wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:10 am
I wish DF would put out a new city set in the KS5 style. I like what we have and it makes great exteriors but it is kind of a pain to make great interiors. KS3 looks great for exterior but it is so time consuming to build, and difficult to make big detailed interior builds.

I would like to see sets like the old resin sets but with the walls with floor tabs like KS5 passageways so you could make hallways and closets.
I would totally back mbs in dwarvenite

My biggest regret is that when cbs launched i didnt take my $1,000 and buy up the last resin mbs sets - as cool as CBS’s I would much prefer to have the MBS to build the flat open workable interior
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:50 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:53 pm
Oldent wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 am
There is almost nothing that will change my mind on the ugly post.
In another thread I said I would settle for a Advanced Builder Set in Tudor, a couple of free standing Tudor L shape walls and a couple of free standing Tudor doorways. With that I could make hallways and all sorts of closets/small rooms.

But you are correct DF really does need to make more posts for CBS that are not ugly on the inside.
Your right in that those things would help, but the other problem I have is that the wall inserts require more precision in manufacturing. There are fluctuations in the size of the walls and I have some that are a couple millimeters too long and some of the newer ones are a few millimeters too short and it is a pain in both directions. The long walls push out on the post making the post stick out slightly and the other are loose with gaps. It seems as if the manufacturing processes is not precise enough.

The up side is that much of the CBS can store in less space. Also the streets are great although the alleys are better than the big wide streets. I would go for a mega alley pack.

I think the MBS has its own problems. I think the color is too white, and all the up and down brown timbers look odd. The wall sculpts are better in the CBS as is the paint scheme. MBS could also use some more pieces to flesh it out a bit.

I think for quick and easy setups the hole and peg system is not ideal. I still like my CBS stuff but it has its problems and I don't want more sets in that style (other than the pieces you mentioned).

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:53 pm

Oldent wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 am
There is almost nothing that will change my mind on the ugly post.
In another thread I said I would settle for a Advanced Builder Set in Tudor, a couple of free standing Tudor L shape walls and a couple of free standing Tudor doorways. With that I could make hallways and all sorts of closets/small rooms.

But you are correct DF really does need to make more posts for CBS that are not ugly on the inside.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 am

There is almost nothing that will change my mind on the ugly post. The streets from CBS are roman roads.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:27 am

Sounds like a plan :)
We would by happy with Veg :)
I am the Game and I want to Play

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:08 am

I agree, the basics are out there, doing flash should be a lot easier.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Archimagus
Orc
Orc

Post by Archimagus » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:26 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:32 pm
I think they should make everyone happy. Build a RotA-like set (or two or three) as dungeons and a romanesque add-on for city builder. Add sets of appropriate decor suitable for both. Perhaps they should all be part of Dwarven Forge's first "Ancient Civilizations Kickstarter."

Then do others kickstarters for Mayan/Aztec and/or Egyptian and/or Babylonian and/or Chinese and/or...

Just thinkin out loud.
Veg has it right. Ditto to this.