KS7 what do you think it will be about?

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS7 what do you think it will be about?

Post by kitenerd » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:25 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:23 am
And K-nerds point that the more DF offer the more successful the Kickstarter we are not fully on board with when you take inflation into account and the higher cost per sculpt. But it does show that it is not hurting them, just those DooFers that want everything.
Higher grossing does not necessarily equal more successful.

DF has never been focused on maximizing profit. Rather they are focused on maximizing awesome and creating as much cool as possible ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:23 am

They also need to look to internal data a bit. I have to assume that folks who have gone in heavy on previous KS now have a reduced appetite for more of the same genre of pieces. I know that after a complete DoD for example on my part, I would be going very light on any future dungeons with the exception of any cool really new parts or designs (not just flavor changes like color for example). I tend to use terrain for tactical reasons when RPG'ing so the color or flavor is of less concern to me - thus my complete non-buying of underdoom and most of crystals or ice. I have to assume that there are many amongst us that would by nature dial back on repeats in the future.

DF could look to their heaviest backers on KS2 and how they did on KS6 with caverns redeux.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:37 am

In the end DF needs to do what is best for them, and only they really know what that is.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:23 am

We have banged on for a while that if DF had done reduced Kickstarters, like a lot of DooFers want, what would you have cut from say Castles, DoD and CD?

Ask 10 different DooFers, you will get at least 8 different answers.

As makes a good point that the reduction can be in unique sculpts where there is more re-use between encounters and is entirely sensible.

And K-nerds point that the more DF offer the more successful the Kickstarter we are not fully on board with when you take inflation into account and the higher cost per sculpt. But it does show that it is not hurting them, just those DooFers that want everything.

They keep getting more customers over 200 for CD.

But even Nate said it was so draining for all involved who were still sculpting, taking pictures, costing at the time the KS launched.

So it looks like the next KS will not be as intensive for DF and therefore should reflect in a reduced sculpt offering in the KS for us DooFers.

What ever is done we trust DF to do what is good for them and that means like it or not it us good for all DooFers :D

Fantasy World Problems
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:40 am

Scope is too much - we have said it for years - now DF has admitted it

i LOVE what they are doing - encounters and modules and paint guides and groovy videos and hundreds of new sculpts and three environments per KS... but no one can keep up!

- sculptors can't get the sculpting done before the KS starts
- factories cant get all the pieces made by the delivery date
- writers can't get the module finalized until a month after the following KS
- and i sure as hell can't pay down my credit card fast enough to charge it up again ;)

OK that is all a bit of exaggerated hyperbole, but the underlying reality is everything needs to slow down - the pace is unsustainable for anyone

DoD could have been Vaulted followed by Shrine of Syssul followed by Burrows
KS6 could have been Caverns (with optional Underdoom) followed by Crystal Caverns followed by Dreadhollow

Even if they overlap or are 8 months apart or whatever - DF is competing with itself - people are cutting Crystal Caverns to buy more Dreadhollow or skipping burrows to get Jade Syssul because it is limited edition - i can't help but believe that they would sell more (and certainly sell more impressions per mold) if the offered less more frequently

That being said, each KS has proved that there are many who will step up and purchase large quantities of everything offered. The more they offer, the higher the pledge totals go. DF would be foolish not to capitalize on their moment and produce as much as they can while they have the rapt attention of a rabid and loyal audience.

No matter what i think, they are being VERY successful. The world is getting super cool premium terrain. I am getting more cool stuff than i can store or have time to game with. We live in magical times ;)

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:21 am

John D wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:03 pm
I vote for a Lava Lamps expansion!
Every theme gets one!
Even Sewers.
ewwwww......

the visual images that just went through my head can never be erased

i need to vomit

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:11 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:07 am
Why is it necessary to cut those? Trim out some of the repetative encounters and thin out the pieces more. The unique environments are fine.
When you said "250 pieces is just too much" I like what AnimeSensei said above was talking about a reduction in piece count scope for DF.

I personally would love to see DF refine the KS6 model even more to have more encounters used add-on sets in whole. so that an encounter would have full addon sets. It annoyed me that so many encounters had half or only part of the peices for the natural bridge or stairway sets.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:01 am

While unique encounters are good, they do drive the price up. The more repeat pieces we have across the campaign, the lower the price per piece.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:00 am

dice4hire wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:07 am
Why is it necessary to cut those? Trim out some of the repetative encounters and thin out the pieces more. The unique environments are fine.
Agree about the multiple encounters. Sell “core/building” block sets, “unique/special/bling” element piece sets, and f course the option for the full monty.

Put together encounters based on the building block sets - 1 of A, 3 of B, 2 of C gets you encounter One, etc.

Every KS there are a few pieces I’d love to have dozens of, but they only come in ones or twos in a $$$ set.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:07 am

A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Questions?”