Modifying Look on Factory Painted CBS

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Modifying Look on Factory Painted CBS

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:11 pm

So the floors we can handle being lighter, basically more worn, but as you show the sides should be more inline with the walls.

Pretty sure with a little experimentation you can create your own paint scheme using non DF paints to match the wall paint job.

Might look into this ourselves.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:47 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:55 pm
As i recall the floors got a light wash .. not sure which color is used... does it say in the painting guides?
Yeah, it says it's Stone Edge Drybrush. That's also what's used for the drybrushing on the stone walls, and unfortunately it has been out of stock for a while now. :-/

Looks like I'll have to put my plans on hold until they get some in!

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:55 pm

As i recall the floors got a light wash .. not sure which color is used... does it say in the painting guides?

I forget the reason... I think it may have some actual historical relevence... My failing memory says that in some parts of europe stone floors were white washed or lime washed.

I think it would have been nice if they could have avoided the floor edges.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:46 am

That all makes sense to me. Looking forward to seeing how your modifications turn out!

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:57 am

Thanks for the info, Vegomatic! I was wondering if that weathering was intentional! I do like the weathered sides of the stucco a bit more.

I think the thing that bugs me the most is the floor pieces.
Floor-vs-Wall.jpg
Floor-vs-Wall.jpg (101.35 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
It looks like they based the whole thing in a lighter grey paint, whereas with the walls they just painted the bricks on the darker dwarvenite base.
Floor-vs-Wall-Assembled.jpg
Floor-vs-Wall-Assembled.jpg (104.99 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
It doesn't bug me much on single story builds, and I'm OK with the look inside the buildings. But when I get to 2-3 story builds, I really don't like the obvious layers it creates on the exterior walls.
floor-bottom.jpg
floor-bottom.jpg (49.21 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
So I'm thinking maybe just on those edge bricks, I'll do a wash to darken the recesses to a closer match to the walls, then maybe consider a light dry brushing to match the highlights on the walls.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:20 pm

The factory painted cbs wood building walls are lightly washed (or maybe painted dark then heavy drybrush of stucco) on one side to make them look dirtier, rougher, more weathered or something on one side... maybe inside vs outside or old vs new? The deeper texture on the walls is more visible on "washed" side.

That effect, which was intentional, may be the variation you are noticing. Turn the pieces over to check.

To answer your questions ... not me. I have yet to lift a brush to my plethora of unpainted dwarvenite. And it keeps on growing!!! I am swimming in a sea of dungeon (and castle) grey!

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Modifying Look on Factory Painted CBS

Post by hunter_something » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:05 pm

I've got a couple minor things I'd like to address on my CBS pieces:

1) there's a bit more variation in the factory paint schemes than I'd like
2) I feel like the detail work could pop a bit more

I was thinking that maybe both of those could be addressed by adding a wash to the pieces. That got me wondering - has anyone else played around with modifying the paint job on the factory painted CBS pieces? If so, have you got any pics to share?

Return to “Questions?”