Limited Edition Sets

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re:Limited Edition Sets

Post by LordDust » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Not all collectors only hoard. I have a ridiculously large shot glass collection that I treasure, but each has been used at least once (some semi-regularly) except the tiny handful that are not safe. They are also decorative, taking up an entire shelf in our hutch.

Most collectors I know take pleasure in all the minutiae of their collection. The story of each piece, who made it (or how it came to be for a natural object), the properties it possesses, the hunt to find that piece, the joy of sharing these things with interested people (fellow collectors or just someone curious), etc. There is a web of emotion woven into the entire process. The market value of a piece can play a part as well, though for true collectors that is just another data point rather than being meaningful in itself.

Being a true collector isn\'t necessarily about keeping something in flawless condition. Many knife collectors that I know use and maintain their collection. I might have a problem myself... I have over forty collections last time I checked. Steins, shot glasses, swords, knives, coins, candles, marbles; the list goes on. I have made a conscious decision to unload several of them entirely in the near future and I am paring down some. I have decided that I want to pour my energies into just a few collections. I think I will enjoy them more this way.

Sorry for the wall of text, collecting is a subject both near and dear to me. Being a true collector is really more about the emotional connection with the collection rather than any specific habits regarding use, display, or condition. Heck, some collections necessitate being used up as a part of their nature or are even inherently changeable or temporary.

Belakor
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Belakor » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:50 pm

jchunick wrote:

I don\'t get collecting inanimate objects and never using them.

You sound like my wife when she looks at all my unopened boxes and blisters...

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:32 pm

@Lord Dust,

I would agree too with certain pieces being limited as opposed to a whole set. I meant to add that to my lengthy diatribe, but forgot.

True collectors are interesting people whom I don\'t understand on an emotional level... I don\'t get collecting inanimate objects and never using them.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Limited runs have a special attraction for some collectors and DF caters to this part of the market with limited runs. Many companies, including miniature terrain and figure companies do this. I would not encourage DF to stop the practice, doing so would likely even upset a subset of the customers. It might not be a bad idea to make some changes to the limited edition model going forward though...

I would agree with jchunick\'s idea of special paint (i.e. painted in a special scheme by a known artist) as being a very good form of limited edition. I can however still also see a limited run of a special piece in resin. I do lean toward feeling like it would be better to avoid having entire sets be limited in the future. Obviously this is a decision that also needs to be made based on the needs of the business. They have to make room for new molds eventually, they can\'t afford to have someone stock all their molds forever.

I do feel that the much higher expense in making dwarvenite molds means that it would be best for physical dwarvenite pieces to NOT be limited edition. Sticking to limited paint schemes and limited packages (i.e. which pieces come in the box at what price rather than the limited part being any physical piece) seems like a better approach there.

Like I stated above though, DF made a type of promise to their customer base when they designated those resin sets as limited and it wasn\'t exactly ambiguous. I don\'t own any of those thus far, but I still think it behooves them to stick to that. I am fine though with a new set of compatible stuff in dwarvenite and I don\'t see any reason any collector should be upset by that, heck if they use their sets for dioramas or gaming then that should even make them excited I would think.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Here\'s my take on limited editions:
1. They work for some markets, not all markets.
2. I don\'t think they work in the miniatures market. I\'ll list my reasons why a bit later.
3. DF shouldn\'t tarnish their reputation by re-releasing a limited edition set that will never be released again. That, to me is a business decision they made and they need to stick to it. I\'m betting they feel the same way.
4. Limited editions should be things like special painted or dressed pieces... signed pieces... something added to make a piece special - maybe painted personally by Stephan or another artist with a reputation in the industry.

Why I don\'t think miniature terrain pieces should be limited editions:

1. There\'s a very small sub-set of people who prize limited edition stuff because they own it and almost nobody else does. They have the funds necessary to get it right away when it\'s first offered. Limited edition stuff usually sells out fast and for a premium. This is inherently not conducive to the philosophy of bringing affordable miniature 3D terrain to the gamer masses (dwarvenite). It does, however, fit in line with \"World\'s Finest Miniature Terrain\". So, maybe it\'s a balancing act, which is where I think point #4 fits well.

2. Miniature terrain is currently very limited, and so is the customer base. The more pieces you make for a sub-group of that gaming sub-group who buy 3D terrain the more you tend to alienate an already small group of people who buy your product.

3. I\'ve said this many times before, but I\'m new to the 3D terrain industry that\'s been going on for, what, almost 20 years?... I have a lot of catching up to do and I have been trying ever since entering the industry from the first DF KS. From a new customer perspective it\'s very time consuming hunting down all the sites that sell accessories and such. What can further kill the excitement is seeing product that you want to buy out of stock - that\'s a whole other issue, but similarly related to seeing stuff you would like to get only to find out it\'s long been gone and will never be there again because it\'s a limited edition set... that adds no value to me as a potential new customer and how much value does it really add to the existing customer base, except for an elite few? I wouldn\'t mind it being limited edition paint scheme or dressing or painted by a top artist in the industry (point #4 above), but to see a whole set that I\'ll never even get the chance to own and on top of that, whole lines out of stock for a year or more... that\'s not a good position for a business to be in trying to build their customer base.

Well, that\'s long enough for now. That\'s my take on it. I\'m not a fan, unless it\'s done smartly (see point #4 above) and with the larger concept of building your customer base in mind rather than satisfying a small percentage of the customer base.

P.S. This doesn\'t consider the concept of limited run editions due to some extenuating business reason to have limited it or stopped production after a limited run.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

dafrca
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dafrca » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:39 pm

As someone who does not own any of the resin sets I would have to side with those who do not want the resin sets just duplicated in Dwarenite. Why? Because while I like many of the limited sets, I also agree that the idea of limited should be respected.

I do like the idea of maybe a new design that would work with the limited sets for those who have them but would serve to offer the new fan (like me) something that would be a close themethe of the limited sets.

Cody N
Orc
Orc

Post by Cody N » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:32 pm

dwarven forge offers base sets for the masses and limited edition collectors sets for collectors. I would say they are amazing at offering what everyone wants.

unless you are of the mindset that you are entitled to everything you want at all times for dirt cheap. today\'s northamerican world seems to breed that mentality.

I would like to see dwarvenite limited ed sets though.

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:55 pm

Forgive my question, but I really do not know the answer to it... but for resin molds... isn\'t there a life of the mold where once you reach it, a new mold has to be created anyway? For some reason, that has always been my understanding. At some point (unknown) a new mold needs to be made... identical to keep producing the previous product or a new one that is of a different sculpt.

that makes a lot of sense for resins being limited if there is a limit to the actual functionality of the mold.

on the other hand, if resin is the high end and dwarvenite is in the middle/lower end of the price spectrum, it would serve to have similar, but not the same molds.

I get the limited edition thing. I own limited edition things... like signed books of a limited printing in hardback. It is a collector\'s item. but at the same time, they had the mass market paperback that had multiple print runs. but while they had the same story (dungeons, caverns, etc) its packaging and presentation were different.

But that could be a good reason why DF sets limits and keeps them. I do like that about them. I don\'t feel cheated that I can\'t purchase something that is listed as SOLD OUT FOREVER. it was cool. but they have other newer cool things too. look to comics, and action figures, and while things recreate them, they don\'t redo any of their limited runs. Its a model that works. And I don\'t mind having the Dwarvenite \"edition\" of things, if there is one.

enigma5915
Goblin
Goblin

Post by enigma5915 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:07 pm

I don\'t know ... it just seems that the concept of limited edition is the opposite mind set of awrsome terrain for the masses. Which is what Game Tiles is trying to accomplish. I think if dwarenite versions of resin sets are made it technicaly not the same. The resin would atill be limited.

Just saying...

granpappy77
Orc
Orc

Post by granpappy77 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:57 am

I have mixed feelings on the idea of essentially re-releasing limited edition lines. On the one hand, they are beautiful sets (my favorite being RotA) that I\'m sure many would want to get their hands on. On the other hand, it could easily be seen as DF going back on their word, which would clearly be damaging to their sterling reputation.

I think if DF were expand their Dwarvenite lines in this direction, a new art style that was similar to but distinct from DoE, RotA, etc would be the way to go. Make a new evil lair set, ruins of a formerly flourishing society, etc but reproducing the limited lines would be a mistake, IMO.

Return to “Questions?”